Ares Games

Thread: Muromets Scratch Build

Default Muromets Scratch Build

Maybe its because winter is coming that my mad modeling mind has shifted to the cold north of WWI. Or maybe its my wife's strange desire to have her kitchen table back for Christmas dinner. What ever . . .

Its all happening again,the wood, the plastic, the parts just keep coming!!!

Cool stabilizer/rudder combos

Lots of bits to keep aligned

All those engines Igor ordered need two radiators each

All ready to start assembly

Why not paint the parts first she said

Wing sub assembly

Gap adjustment fixture

Open center section is a little weak until assembly

Fuselage/wing notches have to create a negative stagger for the wings

Bunches of 3/4" props

Fuel tanks

Engine units ready to install

Assembly coming along, notice the cool above fuselage fuel tanks

Waiting for landing gear bits

On their feet at last!

Engine units in place

Decals applied

On the stand with a friend

Now off to deliver a winter surprise to the eastern front!

Clipper

Another modeling achievement which makes the rest of us look like slackers.

However, it is wonderful to see.

Once again you astound and amaze!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thumbs up

So when do you move to a Larger House?
    Seriously thats exceptional work (as Usual )

"OMG!", he exclaimed as his jaw hit the tabletop.

Top flight work. Most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Yount View Post
    "OMG!", he exclaimed as his jaw hit the tabletop.

Top flight work. Most impressive.
    What he said.

Wow! I'm jealous!

/ Jörgen

You never cease to amaze me David. Quantity usually means sacrificing Quality, but in your case that is untrue. Combined with the speed of production, I can only assume that you have borrowed Santa's Elves to help you and that is why your wife can get her table back for Christmas.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'm sort of used to the build quality now, but I still can't conceive the idea of the production line. I think these are amazing.

Wow indeed! Incredible, David! And just one Igor in your employ?

Jure

What ? only five this time ? David you slacker
    Amazing as usual I have been looking at this aircraft myself for a while now, but no way could I do it the same justice you have. My compliments again sir

I shudder to ask, but do you keep them all yourself in some meglomaniac castle or sell some on?

Fantastic, I just can't believe your output.
    It certainly puts me to shame.

My pantheon has space to one more God. You are a God, sir.
    You are very, very good.

Awesome (yes I am a slacker). Wonder job. One day I will have one.

That's one (well OK, five) fantastic bit of scratchbuilding. Consider me impressed and just a bit jealous !

Marvellous!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

You may have inspired me to make my first scratch built plane. When you break it down like you've done the process doesn't seem too complicated or anything. Once again you did a great job on these scratch built birds! Nice job.

My hopes exactly-scratch building is a fun activity that too many do not try. Good luck and if you get stuck let me know!
    Clipper

Again, a marvilous build(s). So where do you buy the engines from?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Sorry, the Igor ordering engines was a joke, the bomber was designed by the great Igor Sikorsky. My sense of humor is as off as I am. : )
    clipper

HUMBLED! but really what thickness of wood are you using? and were can we get scaled plans, hint santa is watching ya!

All the wood is basswood which is easy to cut, carve and finish as well as has no knots. Fuselages were cut from 3/8" x 1/2" strips, wings from 3/32" sheet. Engines from 3/16" x 1/4" strips. Bass is easy to cut with a sharp #11 blade and sanding is simply a nail file. Props were cut from 1/16" sheet into 3/32" wide strips. Most craft shops carry it in the wood carving sections.
    clipper

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Sorry, the Igor ordering engines was a joke, the bomber was designed by the great Igor Sikorsky. My sense of humor is as off as I am. : )
    clipper
    it is my sense of humor that is off, David... sorry... I was referring to the Igors from Terry Prattchet's Discworld novels.

I was wondering, do you use any power tools at all? You mention nail files and blades and I find it amazing how clean and precise your work is!

Jure

Most of my work is done by hand with the exception of a table top band saw, a 6" belt sander and my best friend is a 1" vertical belt sander with a 5" sanding disk. I have an old jewelers spiral drive hand drill with tiny drill bits. The large belt sander is great for sanding airfoil sections-and old skill from free flight hand-launch glider days. Building happens at our dining room table where I can build and take care of my wife at the same time. I will be doing a how to article on building from scratch soon-I no longer build from scale drawings in the normal sense, finding the old method from the 1940's solid wood models working just fine. More on this later.

Clipper

You are off your rocker, but in a crazy good way! Awesome job!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Most of my work is done by hand with the exception of a table top band saw, a 6" belt sander and my best friend is a 1" vertical belt sander with a 5" sanding disk. I have an old jewelers spiral drive hand drill with tiny drill bits. The large belt sander is great for sanding airfoil sections-and old skill from free flight hand-launch glider days. Building happens at our dining room table where I can build and take care of my wife at the same time. I will be doing a how to article on building from scratch soon-I no longer build from scale drawings in the normal sense, finding the old method from the 1940's solid wood models working just fine. More on this later.

Clipper
    Kenney's Old Time Model Airplane Magazine has a section on solid models with plans.

See: http://www.ualberta.ca/~khorne/solid/solid.html

Really great work David... I am tempted to try my hand at a scratch build... my dad us a wood carver and we have scads of basswood around the house... need sheet styrene from the FLGS I think...