Ares Games

Thread: Miniatures and LOS

Gaff

Default Miniatures and LOS

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I had no luck in "search".

I am a very new player, and I think the miniatures add a lot to the game. However, the miniatures are a fair bit larger than the images of the planes as printed on the cards. Should I be calculating targeting "to hit" using the actual miniature, or revert to the card for this purpose?

Thanks,

Gaff

Some people play using the actual miniatures, but the official rule is to measure firing from the center post of the shoot plane to any part of the base of the target plane.

Gaff

Default Ah yes

Right - that makes sense. In the WW2 game, there is an option to use the "plane image" size as opposed to the card, but I think it will be much simpler if we do what you suggest and measure to the bases (or card edge), and make that the standard.

Never thought about that actually when playing with WWII minis. During our campaign we measure to the minis - therefore the big bombers are an easy target. But yes, of course the WWII minis are harder to hit then.

therefore the big bombers are an easy target
    just a thought on this> I used the cards from the files section for Me 110's and a Bristol blenheim. what size would you guys recomend for the card as these planes would be bigger than the fighters in real life?
    PS sorry if I am hijacking the thread

The Me 110 ist not double the size of a Me 109, I would say maybe one and a half. You could also say you take two cards for those planes between a fighter and a big bomber to keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Some people play using the actual miniatures, but the official rule is to measure firing from the center post of the shoot plane to any part of the base of the target plane.

We play the optional plane rule, so we measure from the center post to any part of the actual target plane. So if you can hit a wing tip you can fire.

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Wings of War series 5 miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 17:24
  2. Future Miniatures
    By Eliminator in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 11:00
  3. Series 1 Miniatures Question
    By Walahalla in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 01:02
  4. miniatures vs. cards
    By rickert in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 08:31

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.