Ares Games

Thread: Ace Cards

Default Ace Cards

I downloaded a set of Ace cards from BoardgameGeek or some such site, these are the usual mix of ace abilities, some doubled up so there are about 40 cards. The all have a duration and once used are discarded and another one picked up.

There doesn't seem to be any rules on how to play them so we started a game where an Ace pilot took one card at the beginning and then the game proceeded as normal. The cards worked well for my opponent as he used, discarded and chose new cards. My first card however was a 'Stymied' card, which meant I could 'stymie' some of his cards when played. But we took the course that I could only use the 'stymie' if my Ace was the target of the other ace, which meant in practical terms, as he never actually came after my ace, that my Ace was pretty much useless and never got the chance to use his card and pick up something better.

Anyone else use this system? Should a 'Stymie' be played at any time against any Ace?

The system is very good because you never know exactly what skill your opponent will have at any one point and you never forget because you have the card in front of you.

The are on pages 5, 7, and 8 of Images

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...us-aces#images

I've not used that system, but I've looked at it. I thought it was interesting, if unrealistic. I think an Ace hones his skill until he becomes very good at it. That means he is going to have the same special skill all the time, not a near limitless bag of tricks.

I did like the idea of Ace cards, so I made up a set of my own, but I've never uploaded to the files section here for some reason ;(

I tried this system again last night and without the original rules for the system it doesn't play well.

Perhaps it needs a lot of planes in the sky and a lot of aces, but in the two small games I played last night I had cards with abilities which were quite frankly useless to me in the context of the two small scenarios we fought.

They are now in the bin

Thanks! neat set of cards for Ace abilities.

I think Andrea has it right when he talks about how he approaches the Wings of War systems.

The less additional "chrome" that requires overly complex sets of rules to integrate the better. It sounds like the system that was created for that was unnecessarily complex for the payoff given that the system that Col Hajj has promoted and what Andrea himself has is much easier to figure out.

It has its roots in the "Bullet Checker" rule from Burning Drachens which is where you first see a rule that applies to a pilot and not a plane.

Similar Missions

1. Tiered Ace Abilities [2 Levels]
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 03:54
  2. Tiered Ace Abilities [3 Levels]
    By Kiwi_Ace in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:00