Ares Games

Thread: WW1 deluxe set

Default WW1 deluxe set

Hey Guys,

I have searched Ebay (only available in France with 54 bucks shipping!) and the internet and I cannot find a source for the deluxe WW1 version in North America. Can someone please point me in the right direction, preferably Canada, but if not the US will work (just more shipping)

The only problem is...I have a collecting problem, I already have all the planes for WWII and I know if I get the WW1 version, I will be on a mission!

FF

I got mine from Imaginaire in Canada, in most respects the firm were fine, but sadly they ripped me off for postage so I wouldn't personnally use them again, but as you live in Canada you might be fine.

http://www.imaginaire.com/indexv2.js...ue=en&noPage=2

Oh that's gonna be a mission then! Good luck with finding the set, it's worth the money.

I also got mine from Imaginaire, and their service was excellent. They did not rip me off on the shipping, so maybe it's just a UK shipping thing?

No, it was definately the company, they took 59 C$ for the game if I remember then pretty much the same again for postage. I own a Post Office here in the UK and checked up how much Royal Mail would have taken and it was half the price, as this is almost universal for overseas shipping it was Imaginaire who ripped me off. Otherwise as you said they were fast and efficient.

My postage was only about US$12 from them to the US.

The prosecution rests your honour.

Is there something special about the deluxe set? The planes are not different. They are just series one planes.

There are one or two differences in the rules provided, for example: the Deluxe Rules have provisions for Pilot Injured rules.

Fortunately, you can download the rules from the files section here on the forums.

This is a direct link to them: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=215

Quote Originally Posted by usmc1855 View Post
    There are one or two differences in the rules provided, for example: the Deluxe Rules have provisions for Pilot Injured rules.

Fortunately, you can download the rules from the files section here on the forums.

This is a direct link to them: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=215
    Thanks.

Nothing special beyond this:

The best investment you can make as a new miniatures player is to try and track down a Deluxe Set. For WWI, these were never released in the English language, so if you live in the US or the UK, you will have look online (I got mine out of Canada from this site). The initial buy in to the game will be a little more expensive this way, but it will actually save you a lot of money.

Here is what you will get for about US$50:

All needed counters and rulers
    Rule Book (in the language of the country you bought it in. Download the English rules here).
    1x Double A Damage Deck
    1x B Damage Deck
    1x Red Baron Fokker DR.I miniature with Maneuver deck D
    1x Barker Sopwith Camel miniature with Maneuver deck C
    1x Francesco Baracca SPAD XIII miniature with Maneuver deck A
    1x Ernst Udet Albatros D.Va miniature with Maneuver deck B

To get these same components with out buy the Deluxe Set, you would need to pick up (only needed components listed) :

Famous Aces US$28

Rule Book
    1x A damage Deck
    1x A Maneuver Deck
    1x B Maneuver Deck
    1x C Maneuver Deck
    1x D Maneuver Deck

Watch Your Back US$28

1x B damage Deck

Fokker DR.I miniature US$12
    Sopwith Camel miniature US$12
    SPAD XIII US$12
    Albatros D.Va US$ 12

Total cost this way, US$104

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I got mine from Imaginaire in Canada, in most respects the firm were fine, but sadly they ripped me off for postage so I wouldn't personnally use them again, but as you live in Canada you might be fine.

http://www.imaginaire.com/indexv2.js...ue=en&noPage=2
    Thank you so much for that link, that is exactly what I was after! I have ordered the deluxe set, I will let you guys know what kind of service I recieved. The real problem now is.....the collecting begins

FF

Ahhh, welcome to the group of addicted players See this forum as a big self-help group

I have given up on getting the WWI deluxe box set.

the postage kills it for me.

I found a site the was selling them for $30EUR but it was going to cost me another $35EUR to post it to me. [total $128NZD]

I can't get alot of stuff I really want due to excessive p&p costs.

Cheers
    GW

Just calculated what it would cost to send it to you in private from Germany - 40 €! What do they use to transport it - the pony express?

Something stinks in the post. Now that the pound is almost equal to the euro, a parcel the size and weight of the deluxe set outside the european superstate would be approx Ł15.00 and possibly a couple cheaper than that if sent from the UK, and that gives compensation up to Ł39 which would cover the contents.

So the Canuks ripped me off and it would seem the same in Germany, which surprises me as international postage is usually based around the same price or not so far off.

It's not a big deal sending stuff around in Europe, even to England. But as far as the parcel leaves Europe, it's expensive. I mean where is the difference between sending stuff from Romania to Scotland and sending stuff from Germany to the US or the other way around? Might be a tax thing propably. But I'm not a postman. There is a discussion going on in Germany at the moment, because the German post service is said to prevent competition in the market. You don't really have a choice here which service you send your post with. The other big German parcel service (Hermes) doesn't even deliver out of Europe.

The Royal Mail simply has two zones now, Europe (which gets bigger every year) and 'Rest of the World' so two prices, no matter if your parcel goes to Cairo or Tokyo. Also I find normally that postage from across the pond is pretty reasonable for the distance. I have ordered up two observation balloons and the postage is $12, which comes to about Ł9 or Ł10, maybe less.

It's not tax which bumps the price up, we get hit with that only if the contents are expensive and that seems to work on a whim or if you get the wrong customs guy.

Anyway as the Romans say "buyer beware".

In the US, it's the size of the box that really bumps the cost up. For a box 8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8" and under 4 pounds, it's only US$13.45 to ship to Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by ff151 View Post
    Thank you so much for that link, that is exactly what I was after! I have ordered the deluxe set, I will let you guys know what kind of service I recieved. The real problem now is.....the collecting begins

FF
    Have fun with the collecting, as there are 36 planes in the WW1 series to start collecting and some of them will be difficult to find, not to mention the whole collection will be expensive ( at least to me ) to get in one shot, and from what I read there are a few more series' on the way. I just picked up the third expansion, BD, and now I'm going to be expanding on my Miniatures fleet.

I know that some people are loyal to their FLGS but I'm Canadian and always looking to save a buck, I have found in my area, Toronto, Meeple Mart has THE lowest prices anywhere and if they don't they will match it. Most of the planes are $10.95 CDN, I've scoured other games store in my area and sufed the web for better pricing, even Ebay is more expensive, sometimes around $20.00 for the larger series 3 planes.

I speculate that the prices are so low because they have to be ordered and you might wait a week or two to get them, but, if you're not in a hurry and you want to save a few bucks, that might be the route to take especially if you intend to purchase copious amounts of planes.

Here's the link
    http://www.meeplemart.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1

Stuart

Thanks for the link Thumper! I plan on going to J&J's and seeing what they can do if I order a series at a time (even if they can get all the planes).

I ordered the set from Imaginaire on Sunday and today they arrived in the AM. The outside packaging was done very well, the only gripe I have (which is minor to me for this type of game) is one of the corners of the actual game box has a very small crush to it. I don't plan on "collecting" this game for the sake of collecting. I plan on playing this game with my kids. The shipping for me (Canada within Canada) was $10 bucks, and for the size and weight I believe that was well within reasonable.

I am currently uploading two videos on wings of war (1 is my Christmas haul and the other is the deluxe unboxing of the WWI version. I will provide links in the video post.

T.

I called J & J after reading your post, thier stock is minimal at this time, however I spoke to Jason, purchasing and inventory control isn't his forte, his brother deals more with that aspect of the business, unfortunately he is off sick today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get some order information.
    Depending on the P & A we might be able to combine our orders to in the effort to better deal.

One day I'll have to hit your neck of the woods for a game, are the any gaming areas that you can play at around there?

Stuart

This is where I purchased my planes.
    http://www.gameoutfitter.com/Wings-o...FQchDQodoxV6yQ

Where are they located? Great pricing but I need to determine if it's U.S dollars or not, it will also help determine what kind of shipping I will be stung with

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kookie
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Nothing special beyond this:

The best investment you can make as a new miniatures player is to try and track down a Deluxe Set. For WWI, these were never released in the English language, so if you live in the US or the UK, you will have look online (I got mine out of Canada from this site). The initial buy in to the game will be a little more expensive this way, but it will actually save you a lot of money.

Here is what you will get for about US$50:

Rule Book (in the language of the country you bought it in. Download the English rules here).
    1x Double A Damage Deck
    1x B Damage Deck
    1x Red Baron Fokker DR.I miniature with Maneuver deck D
    1x Barker Sopwith Camel miniature with Maneuver deck C
    1x Francesco Baracca SPAD XIII miniature with Maneuver deck A
    1x Ernst Udet Albatros D.Va miniature with Maneuver deck B

To get these same components with out buy the Deluxe Set, you would need to pick up (only needed components listed) :

Famous Aces US$28

Rule Book
    1x A damage Deck
    1x A Maneuver Deck
    1x B Maneuver Deck
    1x C Maneuver Deck
    1x D Maneuver Deck

Watch Your Back US$28

1x B damage Deck

Fokker DR.I miniature US$12
    Sopwith Camel miniature US$12
    SPAD XIII US$12
    Albatros D.Va US$ 12

Total cost this way, US$104
    i apologize, just being a noobie to the game... i just placed an order for the WWI deluxe miniature. do i still need to purchase Famous Aces, Watch your Back? or just miniatures and the booster pack?

Unless you want the cards that come in FA and WYB, no you really don't "need" them. You will want to pick up Burning Drachens for the C and D damage decks. After that, it's all minis! The only reason you might want to get the booster packs is if you need extra maneuver decks that come in them.

Sputnik Monroe

I heard there was going to be a new deluxe set released some time this year (actually I read it some where on this site but I can't find it again). The new one was going to have unique repaints one of which was heavily rumored to be Frank Luke's SPAD XIII.

If they do I really hope it makes it state side this time. I've personally have Rickenbacker's SPADXIII and have been considering buying a second one to repaint and make a custom Frank Luke from. The deluxe set would make this so much easier.

The new Deluxe set is going to be released State side (one of the main reasons it is be released) and it will have Frank Luke's plane in it (at least Andrea says it will). So, hold off on that repaint!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 04-15-2010 at 16:31.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kookie
    Sorties Flown

thank you for the advice. will probably still end up getting those booster pack for the extra maneuver decks... then again, may still end up buying FA and WYB as it will be easier to lug this around than those miniatures.

can't wait for that new deluxe set... after all, it's just a matter of saving (root)beer money.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian Wetzel
    Sorties Flown

Hi all. Its a shame how the post is so aggrevating. But I have come to find that alot of the overcharging is being done by the seller. Especially on ebay. Some people are just greedy and want more money than they can get on the product they are selling. Of course this hasn't stopped me from taking the risk. I'm a war games junkie.
    Haystack

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kookie
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    Hi all. Its a shame how the post is so aggrevating. But I have come to find that alot of the overcharging is being done by the seller. Especially on ebay. Some people are just greedy and want more money than they can get on the product they are selling. Of course this hasn't stopped me from taking the risk. I'm a war games junkie.
    Haystack
    i agree with you, but... it is what it is... and just like you, it hadn't stopped me from my "investments". but one thing, i do make sure that i really like the game before going on an compulsive impulsive buying

Similar Missions

1. Review: Dawn of War Deluxe Set
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-27-2015, 21:09
  2. Models to expand the deluxe box
    By graydebowen in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 18:28
  3. WGS: WWII Deluxe Set to be released in the US
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 76