Ares Games

Thread: Hansa Brandenburg

Default Hansa Brandenburg

Here is one for my Austro-Hungarians
    A Shapeways Hansa Brandenburg D1 flown by Frank linke-Crawford Flik 41J

This model is in WSF and the porous is quite noticable, but I think this is because of the colour scheme as it did not look like this before painting. However the camera is showing close up, to the naked eye it is not so pronounced

Excellent, Chris! What do you use as a primer for Shapeways aircraft?

Jure

Nice one Chris.
    It does look a bit grainy, it's always a problem when something quite small gets blown up, it shows up all the problems which are not really viable to the naked eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    This model is in WSF and the porous is quite noticable, but I think this is because of the colour scheme as it did not look like this before painting. However the camera is showing close up, to the naked eye it is not so pronounced
    I agree, it really does show on this one at this range. I have a feeling I'm not going to be too thrilled with the WSF planes I've ordered. Still, good job!

I've just completed mine, with natural wood finish on the fuselage. A photo of it should really show the difference between an amateur like myself, and a real artist such as Boney. Because mine was primed with polyurethane sealant though, there should be no sign of texture, even on a photo.

In actuality, to the neked eye, it makes no difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanse_fokker_crop.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	27945

There's a D.VII (lozenge fuselage) and the drabbest Dr.1 I could find from Jasta 11.

Looking at it, my camera just doesn't have the focus for that range. Never mind, it shows another scheme.

I use a matt white Primer, but no sealant, maybe time to go that way

Sweet Paintjob Chris!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Great Chris. More stubble to the sharp sword of my Italian wing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks, Zoe and Chris. Time to go hunting for a sealant...

Zoe, great paints! I like the drab Dr.I!

Jure

Very nice model, Chris. I do admire the painting skills you show up with all your minis and repaints.
    Zoe, your builts become legendary among the folks here! How can we catch up with you?
    guys!

Nice job there Chris

No disrespect but what with the slightly rough finish and the colour scheme, it reminded me on first sight of a Kellogs Bran Flake!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

No Steve I agree, think Ill redo it

It's nice to see an A-H aircraft. I really like the Italian front. Some really good match-ups. Hansa Brandenburg D1 vs Nieuport 11. Albatros D.III vs Spad VII and Berg vs Hanriot make some very interesting games. Nice job keep them coming. The Hansa Brandenburg D1 is being done now I used 2 coats of sealant first. I see how that works.
    But alittle roughness does not bother me. What matters is if your having fun. Thanks for sharing! John

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    No Steve I agree, think Ill redo it
    No, don't do that, it looks fine.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Nice paint job, Chris and Zoe!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Colin
    Sorties Flown

Chris and Zoe have made my day; thats the first time I've seen the plane in the flesh; painted and all......so far its just been a computer design and a piece of plastic.....thanks both

Colin

Nice done Chris! Thanks for the pics.

Matthias

Very nice! I love the Italian front as well. Hopefully Ares will do some Austrian and Italian aircraft in the near future!

COLBATMAN's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies

Name
    c
    Sorties Flown

Chris,
    Really nice job, The camera does tend to pick up flours and frosting. There must be an answer, Gully Raker has suggested scrubbing the model with warm water and a mild bristled brush. It is particularly annoying on a metallic finish, just does not look right unless completely smooth surface. I'm experiencing this with the Eindeckers I'm working on.
    Well done mate!

COLBATMAN's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies

Name
    c
    Sorties Flown

Hi Zoe,
    Really nice work! Do you have product name for the Poly Sealant? BTW Jo Sonya's does an Acrylic wood stain gel in a transparent finish. I have not used it on a mini but it might give a good finish.

Regards

Col

Quote Originally Posted by COLBATMAN View Post
    Hi Zoe,
    Really nice work! Do you have product name for the Poly Sealant?l
    Feast Watson Glossproof. Weatherproof is similar. ~$20-$25 for 500ml.

http://carreroart.com.au/shop/produc...oss-500Ml.html

Both are thinnable with Turps, which makes cleaning up easy. It reaches maximum rigidity several days after use though, at 24 hours it's still just slightly flexible, like a bicycle tyre.

I seem to have the best results by a single dip, then a wipe-off of excess after 2 hours using a brush dipped in turps, then 4 hours later, brush on another coat. Check by feel to see if any roughness remains the next day, and touch up if need be. Don't paint until 12 hours after the last coat.

You don't want to obscure detail such as aileron creases, so examination before it's dry and a quick brush over with turps on any areas over-coated is recommended. Basically, no more work than conventional undercoating.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 11-30-2011 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by COLBATMAN View Post
    Chris,It is particularly annoying on a metallic finish, just does not look right unless completely smooth surface.
    Unless you want a brushed-metal effect.

I found something that works really well there. Paint grey, go over with a B pencil, then silver-grey nail varnish over the top of that. That gives a really shiny look, indistinguishable from actual polished brushed metal. For a more normal metal look, just use clear hobby varnish instead of silver nail varnish. The graphite gives the appropriate metallic look.

BTW silver isn't my colour - I spent $2 getting some cheap silver nail varnish just for modelling. I know, FAIL at femininity, but it works, and is a lot cheaper than Humbrol enamel.

Good tip Zoe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."