Ares Games

Thread: Building a Skytrex Nieuport 11

Default Building a Skytrex Nieuport 11

This build might be more appropriately titled "Painting a Skytrex Nieuport 11", since I have practically no pics of the kit under construction. The reason for this is that this kit is one of the very first I started to work on, possibly even the very first (off the top of my head I don't recall if this, or the Brisfit, was first), so I wasn't thinking of writing a "how-to" on it. In fact, I was worried that I'd be able to do this at all.

Either way, I suppose I got lucky. This kit was a gem for a rookie. There was little to no flash on any of the parts. The holes for the struts were free of obstructions. And there are very few parts. I didn't take a picture of the parts laid out, but you can see from the following that it consisted of a fuselage with an attached lower wing, the upper wing, left and right wing struts, four cabane struts, left and right landing gear struts, an axle with attached wheels, and prop. That was it.

The trickiest parts of this kit? None, really. I suppose if I had to pick two, I'd have to say bending the lower wings to get a nice dihedral angle and attaching the cabane struts. Everything else went off without a hitch. Finally, the fact that the wheels and axle come as one part makes this kit a no-brainer.

Here it is laid out waiting for more parts.

Now it is primed and ready to go.

And then I hit my stumbling point. I saw this photo.

I wanted to make Vampire, but I had little experience making my own decals, certainly none making decals this small. And I hadn't painted camo on a plane in decades. So I spent the last bunch of months practicing, until I thought I'd be able to get it right.

Here she is getting her first coat of paint. I went with Vallejo Saddle Brown as the base color.

I really like the look of the Belgian colors. Note to self, I should do more Belgian planes.

Then came the day when I finally mustered up the courage to try the decals. I printed out four, nailed the first, botched the second, and had to use the third. The white decal paper is tricky. It is thicker than the clear, and on these teeny decals the printed edges tend to chip.

Once they had dried, I gave the model a blast of Testor's dull, then went to work with my smallest brushes.

The finished kit...

That is one awesome looking bird! Seriously, love the looks of it and you really replicated it nicely. Great job!

(note to self, I should do more Belgian planes )

Wow, really nice!

I love the N.11 and wish it, and the Sopwith Pup, would get made by Ares as an official release. Great planes!

very nice and a nice tutorial ,I only tried to build a couple of skytrex kits (a long time ago) but they both ended up in the bin . Well done

Very nice looking plane
    Does it only come out after dark?
    Beware Germans wearing garlic and with crosses, Oh dear!

Nicely done john, I take it that is a night fighter

Once again John you amaze me with your building and painting skills...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

John.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Beautiful paint John and a good write. I am in the middle of producing parts for the 0/400, wondering how to make the ribs on the wings (testing the groove & thread method) and in between I'm devouring (sponge like) all the "how-to's" around here

Jure

Thanks all!

And I agree, this place if full of useful information. As I've said before, it is one of my favorite forums because of the spirit of camaraderie and helpfulness that exists here.

I am dabbling around to make my own decals too...there are a lot of interesting markings for Belgian aircraft ...and they are every single one rather intricate designs that do not make it easy...
    I am having trouble with "Vampire" and "Fox-trot" because I don't know what type of lettering it is and the decal-paper I am using is "lasertran"
    I can't print white to complete the difficulty

So I raise my hat to you for this marvellous result. Well-done!

Glad you like it! Especially given your nationality!

As for decals, I have a sheet of white decal paper that I use when I need something white. That means I have to include an outline in the color of the plane, and hope it doesn't get too tattered when cutting it out and laying it on.

Btw, Fox-Trot is on my to-do list. If I have any spare decals when I'm done you are welcome to them.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

If I hadn't read your first post and only looked at the finished picture, well...I would've believed it was a NEXUS mini. Awesome artistic work, John.

Good looking model I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If I hadn't read your first post and only looked at the finished picture, well...I would've believed it was a NEXUS mini. Awesome artistic work, John.
    Lol! Thanks! It's nice to know if I ever lose my day job I can find gainful employment in a Chinese miniatures sweatshop.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Glad you like it! Especially given your nationality!

As for decals, I have a sheet of white decal paper that I use when I need something white. That means I have to include an outline in the color of the plane, and hope it doesn't get too tattered when cutting it out and laying it on.

Btw, Fox-Trot is on my to-do list. If I have any spare decals when I'm done you are welcome to them.

That's nice of you ...I'll gladly accept them If you are interestd in the "brownie" figure that ison my F40 I'vegot a couple of spares to exchange for the "fox-trot" ( see my thread about the "Brownie"Farman )

Thats a great looking build! Well done!

Thanks. Given the sale at Shapeways, I'm tempted to do another with one of colinwe's N.17s, along with Fox-Trot.

[QUOTE=Bluedevil;105732]I am dabbling around to make my own decals too...there are a lot of interesting markings for Belgian aircraft ...and they are every single one rather intricate designs that do not make it easy...
    I am having trouble with "Vampire" and "Fox-trot" because I don't know what type of lettering it is and the decal-paper I am using is "lasertran"
    I can't print white to complete the difficulty

So I raise my hat to you for this marvellous result. Well-done![/QUOTEY

You don't need to know the type of lettering or font. You can make a decal of any picture by scanning a book image or cutting and pasting an website image to your graphics program, reduce and cleanup the image, and then just printing the image to the decal sheet. I made a decal of a squadron insigina and other text this way.

Beautiful build, this one, and the colour scheme you chose is inspired.

Excellent paint job.

Enrico

Thanks! I have a couple Shapeways N-17s on the way, so I'll probably do them up in a similar scheme and use Fox-Trot and make another set of Vampire decals. In fact, I should put "make more decals" on today's agenda. Along with eating sushi and having birthday cake.

COLBATMAN's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies

Name
    c
    Sorties Flown

John, Loverly job on the 'Bebe'. Just about to commence work on mine, thanks for the inspiration.

John,

Sweet construction and execution of the model. Bravo!

Best,

Max Z

Thank you both, and I'm glad I can serve as an inspiration, since so very many people here have inspired me.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Robin
    Sorties Flown

That is a Great Job, I agree with you the Belgian colours look good,Have a few Skytrex planes still to make up. Will have to make up a Belgian flight. Good Lad. Robin

Thanks, glad you like it. I have since done up a Shapeways as Fox-Trot.