Ares Games

Thread: Building the Reviresco Siemens-Schuckert D.III

Default Building the Reviresco Siemens-Schuckert D.III

This 'how-to' is 99.9% cut-n-paste from my original post in the Under Construction at the Columbia Aerodrome thread. I figured I'd tie it all together in one place for ease of reference.

... a Reviresco Siemens-Schuckert D.III, which may become Udet's machine, or may not.

For this, instead of the glue the little ring onto the prop shaft to hold it in place [NB, a step in one of the other Reviresco kits, I believe the DR.I], the instructions were to crimp the shaft with a pair of pliers. That didn't work too well. The prop sags a bit. I'll fix that last.

The fuselage is fairly clean.

The upper wing, and my first try with trying to wrap decals around a wing. I'm not too happy with the result. My plan is to touch up the iron crosses, trying to match the lozenge camo, then put some of Dom's down over top of them to straighten them out.

Decals on the lower wing. These went on a little better than those for the upper wing.

Preparing the fuselage for the full body Udet decal.

That didn't work. I figured it would be easier to cut out the Lo! portion of the decal and just paint the thing. Lower wing and struts in place.

Now I'm just waiting for the glue to dry, then it'll be time to try attaching the top wing.

D.III is in the 90+% completion range.

I didn't like how lopsided those iron crosses were...

So I painted them away. Now I can put nicer, newer decals in their place!

I've finished the Siemens-Schuckert D.III, and it's definitely my favorite!

As for fixing the prop, I took a teeny bit of blu-tack and worked it down into the prop shaft. That kept it from drooping and it still spins.

The tricky part of this kit were the decals. One a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being easy, 5 being a nightmare, this is probably about a 3, maybe even a 4 if you don't like messing with decals.

Another very neat build. It is great to see another modeller at work. Most of the same snags crop up with all the models I find. I just gave up on spinning props years ago. I just glue them in now. The whole wing decals certainly need a special technique, and it comes with trial and a lot of error. When my decals arrive, the first thing I do is scan them in, so that I can make a copy when all is lost.
    Do you use Micro set? I find it helps a great deal.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Very nice, John. I am yet to attempt a whole wing decal, so a pictorial like this is quite welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    When my decals arrive, the first thing I do is scan them in, so that I can make a copy when all is lost.
    Rob.
    Aha, good advice, Rob. Must remember this...

Uh, I remember the good ol' days when I, eh, painted the lower wing and horizontal stabilizer lozenge on a Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII.
    When I see that bird on the shelf every now and then, I just shake my head...

Jure

A very nice little bird you've built there.
    Just realised it is the same as my avatar.

Outstanding stuff John... That is a kit I am going to have to buy eventually...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I'm impressed. I just got this same exact kit from a fellow 'dromer, so you have inspired me to build it as I got a set of Udet decals as well.

Excellent! That's why I (and my fellow 'dromers) do it - to inspire you. I figure if I can do it, anyone can do it. Best of luck!

Thanks John, I have this same kit shipping to me right now. It will be my first attempt at a build!!! You have helped me to think about this project!!!

Great! If you have any questions, feel free to message me. Best of luck!

Hi Folks, here`s my D3
    It`s a card model that i drew up many years ago...
    Although this version is in 1/144th scale, i have built this bird at `Peanut (13inch wingspan) and Pistachio (8 inch wingspan)
    They were rubber powered free flight, and flew very fast indeed (hence the short service period...lol)
    I much prefer your lozenge colours to mine...may get back to the drawing board...cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0768.jpg   DSCF0767.jpg