Ares Games

Thread: Movie Remake news: Dambusters and Battle of Britain

Default Movie Remake news: Dambusters and Battle of Britain

I hadn't heard anything about Peter Jackson's remake of "The Dambusters" lately, so I went looking and found this tidbit:

http://dambustersblog.com/2011/11/08...uiet-progress/

So it is still in the works.

Then I found a small newsbyte about a "Battle of Britain" remake. You can find the article here:
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/10/0...rted-producer/

As I have posted in the "Red Tails" thread, I look forward to these (if either of them make it to the screen) on the condition that they don't pull a "Pearl Harbor".

I hold my breath in anticipation....

Oooops... almost passed out. But I still can't wait.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Two new movies with the graphics of these days. WOW Just hope they don't make it some kind of love story and stick to the oridgenal. I may have to watch battle Of Britain this weekend.

Well I'm not gonna hold my breath... I fell asleep in Pearl Harbour and nearly in the newer Red Baron film. Actually there were three of us watching Red Baron who nearly dozed off!
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 11-18-2011 at 23:25.

hopefully with Stephen fry doing the script the dambusters may be accurate ,but I remember reading that Mel Gibson had been approached to play Guy Gibson . I can just imagine blue and white face paint and screaming anti British slogans as the top brass force him to bomb the Dams as school children paddle thier canoes about on a sunny afternoon.

LOL!

Maybe they add a few sun-burned, female police officers on the dam crest.

It's time for a few new WWII movies. I need planes, gunfire, explosions, tragic heroes, etc.

...I like Pearl Habour.

I don't know from my point of view remakes are never as good as the orginals. On the postitive side they could generate intrest in those events from a younger generation who have probably never heard about them

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I don't know from my point of view remakes are never as good as the orginals. On the postitive side they could generate intrest in those events from a younger generation who have probably never heard about them
    True on both counts

They could go either way. I'm more hopeful about the Dambusters remake. Peter Jackson hired the BoB Flight aircraft and filmed some test shots of the aircraft flying over the Lake District some time ago.

I'd love to see a remake of "633 Squadron" though - a true classic, but a remade sequence of the Mossies fighting through the fjord would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    hopefully with Stephen fry doing the script the dambusters may be accurate ,but I remember reading that Mel Gibson had been approached to play Guy Gibson . I can just imagine blue and white face paint and screaming anti British slogans as the top brass force him to bomb the Dams as school children paddle thier canoes about on a sunny afternoon.
    Gad, I hope not! Guy Gibson was 26 when he died in 1944. Mel Gibson is 55. For casting, I'm hoping for PJ to do some magic. Practically the only part of King Kong that I liked was the Empire State Building attack.

Wow, a couple great remakes that would be!

They'll have a damn hard time beating the original Battle of Britain though, superb flick it was!

You'd think with the modern CGI, that movie producers could/would/should get on the ball and start making movies, telling of those fantastic events that shaped our world as we know it today.

One of the sound bites from the making of The Pacific by HBO was, "The truth is always better" than fiction.

HollyWood could spend the next decade making movies about the events in WWII, and not even scratch the surface of all the amazing events that transpired in those years.

Why not take the originals, and replace any scene of replica acft., or of a paltry one or two acft. in frame, with CGI of full squadrons (with accurate markings)? :)

My faith in hollywood doing anything correctly is abou nil. Rhere's been many books or stories that Hollywood has never got any of them to follow the story line. I'm sorry but the egos in hollywood does not allow this

There was a show here in the States on PBS about the RAF in the beginning of WWII. I only saw the first episode and never saw that there was a second. It was years ago but very realistic. Wish I could remember the name of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    There was a show here in the States on PBS about the RAF in the beginning of WWII. I only saw the first episode and never saw that there was a second. It was years ago but very realistic. Wish I could remember the name of the show.
    I wish you could too!

If they do remake 'The Battle of Britain', I hope that they will give the Hurricanes their due as the main RAF fighter.