Ares Games

Thread: Fixing flight stands-ideas?

Default Fixing flight stands-ideas?

One issue I have had since I first started playing with WoW minis is loose flight stands.

I have bought several Litko stands which IMO are superior to the WoW stands for custom models. I would still like to use my original WoW stands though.

The issue I am having is the bases constantly fall off when you pick up the model to move it. WWI/WWII does not matter. I just received some new models for x-mas and right out the box same issue the pegs that just do not fit snuggly in the bases.

Anyone else having these issues and have a solution short of permanently gluing the pegs?

One thought I have is rubber cement or coating the peg with super glue and letting it dry to make it bigger before using. Could possibly glue the holes and re-drill as well.

Just wondering if others feel my pain and have come up with a workable solution.

TIA,

Aaron

StormforceX

Know what you mean Aaron, I've bitten the bullit and glued the minis on to the bases at height 2. This gives a very stable model.
    Altitude, if you use it can be indicated with a small dice on the base thus giving you 6 available, and easy to see, levels.

Before I switched all my bases to fit Litko stands, I used white glue to glue all the pegs together. For the top and bottom pegs, I test fitted all my pegs to find the few that actually fit snugly in to the base or plane.

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Other than some of the WWII models, I haven't had a problem with loose stands.

I use a touch of blutac that works for me.

John B

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I use a touch of blutac that works for me.

John B
    In the holes of the pegs and base? Never thought of that!

Cool

I hadn't had the problem until the arrival of my WW2 Deluxe Set on Xmas day and found it very, very annoying. The last previous models I bought were the last of Series 3 probably about 3 months after they were initially released, the problem I had then was quite the opposite where some pegs were a struggle to seperate but not one peg has ever been loose throughout the 50 + WW1 models I have bought. With the arrival of the Deluxe set and two 1/200 models on Xmas day I was constantly frustrated with bases falling off each time I picked up a model to move it during games with my uncle on the day. Out of the 24 pegs that arrived on Xmas day, only 7 are tight enough to use during a game without things falling apart. The mold at the factory in China has probably worn down a few microns in size after its produced...... how many million? I just hope Nexus think to deal with the problem before Series 4, or I'll just have to keep throwing out duds when they show up, a luxury I can afford as I already have over a hundred of the suckers already and I only need about 32 for the biggest game I'll ever play. Just call me "The Bullet Checker".

Like many of you, I have had this problem... unlike many of you, I haven't fixed it yet... but I do have a thought or two. I almost glued everything together a week ago as I was trying to teach a few new people how to play (just to be clear, I won... I may not have told them all the rules, but I won...) Instead of that, I decided that I have enough extra pegs that I can sacrifice a few, so my intent is to CA/superglue one peg directly to the base, most likely to the bottom right corner (next to the movement/attack/HP info) I think that I want to pick up the base, not the plane, and hopefully that will mean that as I get around to playing with altitude rules I will still be able to re-stack pegs for the nice visuals it provides... so, any thoughts?

Be careful with the CA glue on clear plastic, it will fog it up.

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Be careful with the CA glue on clear plastic, it will fog it up.
    That's true. You could use a small drop of Testor's Model Cement, the stuff in the orange tube.

No one has a less permanent solution? I am trying yo avoid the temptation to just glue them as I want the to be removable still.

I do have an assortment of litko stands which seem to be the best option at the moment.

Ideally what I am thinking of it that sticky clear gum like material that you recieve on the back of a new credit card when it comes in the mail. Something that will tighten up the pegs, but not be permanent.

Any other thoughts?

The Blutac method is none permanent.

Afilter: You can buy a VERY tacky glue not unlike the stuff on the back of your new credit cards. Not sure how they're branded, but they come on a wax paper roll, with a gummy dot of glue every inch or so (kinda reminiscent of an old roll of caps).

Blutac isn't a bad idea, just potentially messy, as is my current "solution", magician's (or stikky) wax.

My idea for a PERMANENT solution would be LEGO pegs. I haven't had the guts to glue anything together yet. The main problem would be the thickness of the post at the base. Lego rounds are thicker than standard pegs, which would give any modified planes a good 1/32" boost in gun range. Dig? I think I can work around this. I have many ideas for this which would be better explained in pictures, so I'll shut up now.

-Joe

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Demon View Post
    Lego rounds are thicker than standard pegs, which would give any modified planes a good 1/32" boost in gun range. Dig? I think I can work around this.
    -Joe
    As long as all your planes had the same pegs, there wouldn't be any problem. I mean the range stick really has no relation to anything other than it fit into the box.

I had thought of that, but someday I imagine taking the planes out into the wild blue for some sparring.

The guys at Bridgetown Hobbies tell of a group that plays at Katie O'Brien's on Sundays in Portland, right? Are any of those guys on the board? Are you one o them, Krolik?

Thanks guys....I am not familiar with blutac, I will have to look it up as well as the tacky glue.

Otherwise I prefer to be able to use the original pegs vs. an alternative. I think I have already found the best alternative with the Litko products.

3M makes a then, very tacky, double sided tape that is used in the picture framing business. This tape lays down only the tacky part, meaning there is no backing or paper to it. It conforms to the shape of any surface really. It is also clear You should be able to find it in a well stocked art supply store, or most custom framers will sell you one of their rolls for less then $10 (a single roll would be enough for about 1,000,000 pegs).

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Demon View Post
    I had thought of that, but someday I imagine taking the planes out into the wild blue for some sparring.

The guys at Bridgetown Hobbies tell of a group that plays at Katie O'Brien's on Sundays in Portland, right? Are any of those guys on the board? Are you one o them, Krolik?
    Yep. Stop on by, we're friendly. At least on the first game.

Cpt Thomas Spencer Howdy

Many months ago I decided to take the plunge and glued one peg each to the bases of all my planes. Previously I would use foil from a cigarette package as a shim to try to keep the peg from coming out during maneuvering, which was fairly successful except when it wasn't.

Since I keep my planes in the original boxes it required some x-acto work to fit the glued bases, but they fit so that worked out fine for me.

Operationally, I have never had any cause to regret gluing that bottom peg. The only drawback play- wise is going below one peg altitude, but I just set the plane on the base behind the peg, and it works out okay without looking too stupid. And I don't often spend much time flying at one increment.

So I heartily recommend gluing it. Just don't use Elmer's ( white wood/ paper glue, water soluble ). It doesn't work well. I used Superglue.

Also I am of the Katie O'brien crowd, Cadet Rum Demon. Happy to shoot you down any time ( if I don't explode or illegal maneuver myself to death, that is ).

kannoneer

We use a small bit of paper to tighten up the pegs it works pretty well and is not permanent.

I don't use altitude so I glued one peg to the base, then glued the other three together and popped a magnet on top. since then I have had no problem picking up or moving the bases, occasionally the plane turns around on the magnet but it doesn't fall off.

I have left some pegs as normal because the DVa and Roland (I think) have metal pegs and I didn't remove them, so I could if pushed put some magnets on single pegs and join in an altitude game if I had to, or just use a die as someone suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by afilter View Post
    Thanks guys....I am not familiar with blutac, I will have to look it up as well as the tacky glue.

Otherwise I prefer to be able to use the original pegs vs. an alternative. I think I have already found the best alternative with the Litko products.
    Blutac and simular products are available at office supply, and hardware or DIY stores.

It is simply a mildly sticky putty like material that is used to temporarily hold things like posters to a wall. I believe that 3M makes the Blutac brand, however I have seen several knock off products with names like Poster Tack, Sticky Putty, and Tacit. It is reusable, and will not attack plastic, or paint. I have used it for years to hold things together for displays, and temporary figure assembly for painting.

Our group has used it since day one. With just the smallest pinch on the end of loose pegs or the peg on the plane you will find that you can move a model (stand and all) by picking it up by the plane. Those of you that use the Altitude rules can exchange your pegs at will with minimal effort. When it is time to put things away, you don't have to worry about snapping anything off because the plane, pegs, and stand come completly apart again for storage. No real mess, fuss or bother.

Thanks for the info.....I will definately check into the blutac option.

I've had no probs with the WoW stands. [so far]

Also had a look at the Litko versions as well....not sure about them might consider them if I get any issues with the offical brand.

Cheers
    GW

I don't know if this would work, as I have not tried it, but what about building up layers of clear nailpolish on the "nipples" of each peg to the piont that they are snug in the holes? Be sure to let each layer dry fully before testing for snugness.

Just a thought, I accept no responsibility if this has any negative outcomes lol

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by thumper7458 View Post
    I don't know if this would work, as I have not tried it, but what about building up layers of clear nailpolish on the "nipples" of each peg to the piont that they are snug in the holes? Be sure to let each layer dry fully before testing for snugness.

Just a thought, I accept no responsibility if this has any negative outcomes lol

Stuart

I like this idea.....I was thinking of doing the same with glue.

Thanks!

let us know if it works
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by thumper7458 View Post
    let us know if it works
    Stuart
    It is on my to do list....I will post pics of the process if it works.

timbokc

Default Helpful Tip

I don't know if this has been a problem for other people but I've had several of my miniatures develop the annoying habit of dropping their bases when you move them.

I found a quick and simple solution that works great so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is having this problem. I just take a very small piece of scotch tape (about 1/4" square) and cover the hole on the base. Then, press the altitude peg through the tape. Bingo! You have a very securely attached base.

Users Country Flag

Name
    allen
    Sorties Flown

good idea...i never would have thought of that..

Quote Originally Posted by timbokc View Post
    I don't know if this has been a problem for other people but I've had several of my miniatures develop the annoying habit of dropping their bases when you move them.

I found a quick and simple solution that works great so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is having this problem. I just take a very small piece of scotch tape (about 1/4" square) and cover the hole on the base. Then, press the altitude peg through the tape. Bingo! You have a very securely attached base.
    I like this idea as well for a quick fix....I was just looking for something more permanent short of gluing the pegs together.

I have not had the chance to try the nail polish or glue to thicking the loose pegs yet.

Default LEGOs

I found and dug out my old LEGO collection in the hopes of using them as pegs for WoW. Unfortulately, the height of one lego peg is about 2/3 the height of a WoW peg. Curiously, a WoW peg fits perfectly into the base of a LEGO. Make of that what you will.

Now that I play "in the wild" it wouldn't behoove me to adapt all of my minis to use LEGOs. It's nice to be able to "eyeball" all the planes on a table and get a good idea of various altitudes.

I still think it's a cool idea. I've never had any problem with LEGO bricks not fitting together well.

-Joe

Colschaeffer

Default Litco stands and Earth magnets

I use the litko stand with an Earth magnet glued to the bottom of the plane and then the top of the post. No prolem after that.

Similar Missions

1. Review: Litko Flying Stands
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 13:09
  2. First Flight
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 17:41
  3. Litco stands
    By Charlie3 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 27