Ares Games

Thread: Torpedo carrying glider!

Default Torpedo carrying glider!

OK, I know its only a test version, but for those of us who need a daily transfusion of new things, any one got any details? All I have found are powered versions, but this is too cool! What's next? Zeppelins with rockets?

who else, clipper

That is cool I want one! These Germans came up with some prity advanced ideas.

Come on David, where did you dig that one up from? How many were made and when did it see the light of day?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yeah, its for real, not a figment of my caffeine driven life : ) Here's the daily glean from the web:

L-35 was set aside in 1918 January 25 and February 23rd at Juterbog, to test this concept. So there! You never know what these guys were thinking up way back then. -clipper

My sanity is in your court, be nice and serve me up a card so I can sink a battleship!

-clipper at sea

HUh!! really did it work, did it sink any thing? didn't last, didn't work deal with it.

HUh!! really did it work, did it sink any thing? didn't last, didn't work deal with it.
    No, and I can imagine why. Unless the thing was controlled in its descent somehow the targetting problems would be immense, unles sof course you wanted to get in low and close, and thats not something you'd really want to do in an airship. Perhaps some sort of deployment from a large bomber might work (somewhat akin tho the V-1 deployment from He-111s in WW2) but again it would be "tricky" getting the thing to go where you wanted it. Unless of course it was wire guided (wire guided torpedoes had, after all, been around since the 1870s, but I can see wire weight being an issue) or radio controlled (was it possible then? I don't know)

Reminds me a bit of the RN's radio controlled "cruise missile" experiments in the 1920s (bombs and torpedoes delivered by lightweight radio acontrolled airframes, launched from thje foredeck of a destroyer) which worked OK, but were overall deemed to be far less effective tan manned aircraft - the age of the aerial anti ship missile had to wait until 1943 before anything successful was deployed)

EDIT - ah, just found in RD Layman's book that they were wire guided, with a maximum range of about 5 miles. Project started in 1915, abandoned in 1918. There's more intersting stuff here as well:

http://warbirdsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2517

I can see some interesting scenarios here - as the thing was meant to be deployed from an R bomber, having a flight of them attacking the Grand Fleet at sea in 1919 with RN fleet defence flying CAP from HMS Furious
    Last edited by David Manley; 10-30-2011 at 00:06.

Yet another great concept that was before it's time. Like the Kittering Bug, though I'm working on a senerio for them too. It would make a good "what-if" senerio, though I wouldn't give it much chance of hitting anything.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

How cool are they! Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    My sanity is in your court, be nice and serve me up a card so I can sink a battleship!

-clipper at sea
    You come up with a plan and I'll knock up a card.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Yes, I just had to do it. It turned may not have worked well for them, but it does fine by me!

Clipper

Didn't I just answer this post and say what a cracker it was?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done I like it!

Parallel threads; does make one feel a bit deja vue ish
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

But I love crackers . . . wire guided crackers, that could be tasty
    clipper

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Unless of course it was wire guided (wire guided torpedoes had, after all, been around since the 1870s, but I can see wire weight being an issue) or radio controlled (was it possible then? I don't know)
    As an aside, Tesla experimented with radio controlled boats in 1898.
    http://cyberneticzoo.com/?tag=teleautomaton

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	295118
    Card played!

According a book I just finished on the British monitors used in WW1 and WW2, the Erebus was attacked on 28-OCT-17 by a 43' remote controlled (30 miles of cable) MTB with 1450lbs of HE. This was the only successful attack
    for this weapon by the Germans, and if it had been a conventional warship, even a Dreadnought, it might have sunk it. The Erebus (and other monitors) had pronounced and layered bulges at there waterlines. This saved her from sinking.
    Karl

. . . love to see I had a life once, fun to read about it! Sadly the shop has been dark for a few weeks . . . need to re-boot the elves . . . they sent a note from the far north a few days ago . . .