Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maneuver Deck Analysis

Default Maneuver Deck Analysis

I have just uploaded some files I have been working on for a while. Originally inspired by a post by Rockr. These are visual references of the "N" & "L" decks. I will next begin work on the "C" & "D" decks.

Standard US Measurement
    "L" Deck http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=926

"N" Deck http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=924

Metric Measurement
    "L" Deck http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=927

"N" Deck http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=925

For those of who are interested I have added the "C" and "D" decks to the file section. Again there are both Standard and Metric measurements.

C Deck Standard Measurement http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=945

C Deck Metric Measurement http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=944

D Deck Standard Measurement http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=943

D Deck Metric Measurement http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=942
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 06-19-2012 at 03:42.

These are well worth the look guys!!

Boy, this is going to come in handy. Can't wait for the rest of the decks.
    Thanks Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

This is impressive and very instructional Don. I am forwarding a retainer in advance of the next installment.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks guys it's been a lot of work, but I have enjoyed doing it. It has helped me with my game play.

Indeed! Very nice and useful!

As I stated before I am currently working on Maneuver decks D and C . I would like to know what 2 decks to work on next. Keep in mind that I am trying to match up planes that are historical counterparts.
    Last edited by LGKR; 10-26-2011 at 12:22. Reason: spelling

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

These are great!

Have you thought about putting them in a booklet format? Just ask because that way new players could look through it at the table without giving away their next move.

Very Helpful! Thanks! .... Now I just need to study them to get a leg up on the Hun!

note: I have to spread some rep around before I can give you more!

J (Albatros D.III) and I (Nieuport 17) would be a historical match and very comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    These are great!

Have you thought about putting them in a booklet format? Just ask because that way new players could look through it at the table without giving away their next move.
    OH NO! not another project, I'll see what I can do, I'll have to scale it down a bit.

I agree with Kaiser, the “I” and “J” would be great. Both have basic maneuvers and would be good building blocks for the other maneuvers.
    Another, of course, would be for the other prominent opponent of the Fokker D. VII, the “M” deck of the Sopwith Snipe.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    OH NO! not another project, I'll see what I can do, I'll have to scale it down a bit.
    It was just an idea..... Ok, to be honest, it's more so that I could use it without giving away my next move...

It was just an idea..... Ok, to be honest, it's more so that I could use it without giving away my next move...
    It's actually a good idea. I might be able make a PDF that could be printed to make a small handbook.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

These are great!

Totally agree! Excellent idea!

Thanks for those Don. More useful additions to our knowledge base
    Rob.

Very nice information! I noticed on the C deck yo labeled some of the right turns as left turns; such as 90* left turn. Just a bit confusing when you're reading over it.

While on the subject, do C decks not have 90* left turns? Why is this?

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Very nice information! I noticed on the C deck yo labeled some of the right turns as left turns; such as 90* left turn. Just a bit confusing when you're reading over it.

I'll have to fix that.

I will have to up load the files again tommorow.
    Last edited by LGKR; 11-17-2011 at 15:54.

Thanks Don! It is good to have you back around the 'Drome more often.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Sorry Don, I did not catch the miss labeling when I was proofing them!

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post

The 90* turns in the WWI decks are for the rotary aircraft. Since the entire motor was spinning around, they had a lot of torque in the same direction. They were able to use this torque (in some planes) to really whip the plane around hard in that one direction.

OK fixed all the errors I hope. The files are online.

Great. Thanks Don.
    Rob.

Very nice But i guess you forgot to include the Steep Side Drifts of the D-Deck.

Thanks for doing this. All my players are new to WoG and were wondering what the differences in the decks were.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

A legacy from a man who, you could just tell, truly loved this game.

I'm running a game for my sons friends this weekend and these will be a fantastic help , thanks for sharing

LGKR,

thanks a lot for those files!

Would it be to much if I would kindly ask you to do the same for X decks?

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    LGKR,

thanks a lot for those files!

Would it be to much if I would kindly ask you to do the same for X decks?
    Sadly, Don passed away last year. This is one of the legacies he left us.
    Karl

I didn't know that... It's terrible news. I am sorry.

Not to worry; we just continue to enjoy what he left us.
    karl

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

What about the "O" deck. Not sure what correlating or opposing aircraft for the Siemans Schuckert D.III/IV is.

ello all

Rookie here. just got a Fokker D.VII and my first "L" deck. great info from Don. contains 2 straight ahead stall (?) cards - 1 with the stall symbol, 1 without. Is it a) a misprint and it should be 2 stall cards? or b) the D.VII can do what looks like 2 stalls on the trot? any assistance gratefully accepted. Wouldn't want to fall out of the sky through ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    ello all

Rookie here. just got a Fokker D.VII and my first "L" deck. great info from Don. contains 2 straight ahead stall (?) cards - 1 with the stall symbol, 1 without. Is it a) a misprint and it should be 2 stall cards? or b) the D.VII can do what looks like 2 stalls on the trot? any assistance gratefully accepted. Wouldn't want to fall out of the sky through ignorance
    The D.VII was supposed to be able to 'hang on it's prop', so, not a misprint. Note also the very short turns. It is the only plane in the game that can turn in such a short manner.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The D.VII deck is correct - 1 short straight is a stall, the other is not!
    This is a correct interpretation of the D.Vii's ability to "hang on the prop"
    You can thus play the short "steep" turn one way, then the short "non-stall" straight, then the other short "steep" turn - no other plane in the game can do this.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-22-2019 at 13:41.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

stunning manouverabilty. will enjoy learning to fly them.

Glad they reached you quickly and safely.

stunning manouverabilty. will enjoy learning to fly them.

the L deck is the dVIIs superpower.

Hello,
    I’m the new guy (rookie pilot) here. Has anyone developed a way to perform a loop?
    Thank you,
    Frank

On the picture, the 5 first maneuvers sequence are official :

Décollage (take-off) / Immelmann

Atterrissage (landing) / Split-S

Plongée forcée (overdive) / Looping

Chandelle / Renversement (stall turn)

The 3 last ones are a creation from a french gamer

Name:  D9FE106D-8DE9-4E73-BF08-8D5C349909D3.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  70.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pipper View Post
    Hello,
    I’m the new guy (rookie pilot) here. Has anyone developed a way to perform a loop?
    Thank you,
    Frank
    We developed a three card loop about ten years ago Frank, it better represents what the aircraft are capable of, trajectory of loops are football shaped (for you in the US) not rounded like a soccer ball ('cos that over stresses the aircraft).
    Climb - Immelmann (played to back of base) - any card will do it.
    Any way - here's a link to my album to show how it's done https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=284
    and a link to the thread that started it - check out the videos of the aircraft doing loops.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...highlight=loop

"He is wise who watches"

I have an Albatros D.III which has the "H" deck. At the moment I'm trying to back in time - 1916 - The D.II uses a "J" deck. I'm never gonna find a D.II for love or anything less than stupid money, so I thought - Is the "H" deck the same as the "J" deck with a few extra manoeuvre cards. If so could I strip out the extra cards from the "H" deck for when I wanted to use a D.II? While I'm here does the same apply to Spad VII and XIII? I might be able to get some VIIs but just thought I'd ask.

The Albatros D.II uses the V deck
    The Albatros D.III uses the J deck.
    The H deck is used only for some fast two seaters, it doesn’t have the Immelmann card.

V and J deck are slower than the H deck.

from the WW1 APP made by Honza : DECK ANALYSIS button
    http://www.hoho.cz/app/wog/index.php

Name:  E6C437CF-E5AF-448C-B185-C8C814FD0EA1.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  70.2 KB

The H deck is much faster than the J deck. H deck is also missing the Immelmann and a slip in each direction. A DII uses the V deck. The V deck is almost the same as a J deck. It is the same speed but short one slip in each direction.

SPAD VII uses the B deck, same as the Albatros DVa. SPAD XIII uses the A deck which is much faster but with one less slip in each direction. An A deck can be made from an N deck (SE5a) by removing cards, the 90* turns and the wide side slips.

Hope this helps.

I can email you a scan if you can print your own cards.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-07-2020 at 08:25.

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    ...from the WW1 APP made by Honza : DECK ANALYSIS button
    or you can check the original source Iain for all your deck needs https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2043

Iain, pre the V deck's arrival the Alb D.II was assigned the J* deck - a J deck with a sideslip each way removed. This may have caused the confusion. This is something you may be able to do with cards you have.
    Last edited by flash; 04-07-2020 at 09:17.

"He is wise who watches"

that's what I love about you lot. Not only do you know where I went wrong but you know what I meant in the first place.

Monse - bit old school. Just been given my wife's old iphone 5 (Luddite )

Teaticket - got D.VA (more needed ) so B deck sorted. Got XIII (more etc) and SE5a but useful information. Yes to the scan. Do you want e-mail here or pm you?

Flash - all I've got to do is get Microsoft Office sorted on this lap top n I'll be laughing

Iain, yes, PM me your email and what decks you want a scan of.

...Flash - all I've got to do is get Microsoft Office sorted on this lap top n I'll be laughing
    Well, let me give you a giggle now Iain !

Deck J (20) - Average speed - 3.5cm - (arrow is 50% of the card)
    3 straight
    3 right turn
    3 left turn
    2 stall - steep
    1 Immelmann !
    3 right sideslip
    3 left sideslip
    1 climb
    1 dive

Deck J*/ V (18) - Average speed - 3.5cm - (arrow is 50% of the card)
    3 straight
    3 right turn
    3 left turn
    2 stall - steep
    1 Immelmann !
    2 right sideslip ( 1 removed from J deck )
    2 left sideslip ( 1 removed from J deck )
    1 climb
    1 dive

"He is wise who watches"

I'm never gonna find a D.II for love or anything less than stupid money, so I thought - Is the "H" deck the same as the "J" deck with a few extra manoeuvre cards.
    If you want to laugh even harder, I've got some "Boelcke" D.IIs with minor production faults on the minis, but the decks are pristine & still sealed in shrink wrap!
    PM me if you want one..............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast