Ares Games

Thread: New Osprey 60 Sqd History.

Thumbs up New Osprey 60 Sqd History.

G'day All!
    I have just received from Amazon US the latest Osprey Book in the Aviation Elite Series written by the noted Historian Alex Revell.
    It covers the full history of 60 sqd from its formation to the end of WW1.
    Anything written by Alex is really first class as he had the opportunity to meet & interview many WW1 Pilots who were still living in the 60s, 70's & 80's including Grid Caldwell & Willie Fry.
    60 Sqd had many Aces in its ranks including Ball, Bishop, Caldwell, Meintjes, Smith-Barry, Soden, Fry etc.
    The cover shows Willie Fry's N17 (Willie is one of my favourite WW1 Pilots) as he forces a German Albatross to land on Fry's Aerodrome.
    I have posted 2 of the Colour profiles to show some of the Aircraft flown by 60 which started on Morane Bullets & ended with SE5a's.
    I will post a full review in that section after I have read it but thought a "Heads Up" was deserved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60 Sqd History.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	24959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60 Sqd profile 1.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	24960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60 sqd profile 2.jpg 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	24961

Thx for sharing the news about this Osprey's book I'll sign it in my list of foreign books to buy

Attilio

It is a great read Barry. I just finished reading mine this very morning. I will leave you to do the report in the book review.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

My local game store has this.. if I was an allied player I might get it.. well.. I still might lol... looks cool but with so few aircraft to repaint I might wait til the spring to get it...

Got mine a couple of weeks ago; still only half way through, since it's back-up reading. Current front-line book is "With Eagles to Glory" by John H. Gill, an indepth history of the German troops that fought with Napolean in the 1809 Champaign against the Austrians.
    One quick comment on 60th SQD history: Bishop is coming out not looking good: one instance where he appears to have "poached" a claim of a kill for 2 other pilots, and a comment from when he departed to Home Establishment that many of his kills "were claimed on solo sorties on the other side of the Lines and not substantiated for that reason".
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    My local game store has this.. if I was an allied player I might get it.. well.. I still might lol... looks cool but with so few aircraft to repaint I might wait til the spring to get it...
    I have a couple of spare SE5a's to repaint, so it is useful for me because I can give Bishop a flight to fly with now.
    Rob.

From what the book says, he was only with the 60th for a month after flying the Nieuport and going to HE, so not a big window. Is the WOW mini of the 60th Sqd or the 85th, which he commanded after his return?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    From what the book says, he was only with the 60th for a month after flying the Nieuport and going to HE, so not a big window. Is the WOW mini of the 60th Sqd or the 85th, which he commanded after his return?
    Karl
    Ah! but in my world that month can last forever.
    Rob.

It's now on the top of my books to get list,

Exclamation

Karl
    Its the 85 Sqd one Karl with the ID letter Z.
    In 60 all 3 Flights had Nose & stripe colours ( Blue, Yellow & Red ) but HQ came down hard & they had to revert to PC10. Bishops Flight was Blue & he had a Blue Nose on one of his Nieuport 17's.

Exclamation

Got mine a couple of weeks ago; still only half way through, since it's back-up reading. Current front-line book is "With Eagles to Glory" by John H. Gill, an indepth history of the German troops that fought with Napolean in the 1809 Champaign against the Austrians.
    One quick comment on 60th SQD history: Bishop is coming out not looking good: one instance where he appears to have "poached" a claim of a kill for 2 other pilots, and a comment from when he departed to Home Establishment that many of his kills "were claimed on solo sorties on the other side of the Lines and not substantiated for that reason".
    Karl
    Karl, if you are interested in more info on Bishop & his "Claims" & result of Research over the last 20 years send me a PM with your home Email & I will forward you 2 Articles (one by Alex Revell who wrote the 60 Sqd History) on Bishop which I am sure you will find interesting.
    I have been studying Bishop for about 5 years now as he had been one of my Boyhood Heros after I read his book "Winged Warefare".

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Karl, if you are interested in more info on Bishop & his "Claims" & result of Research over the last 20 years send me a PM with your home Email & I will forward you 2 Articles (one by Alex Revell who wrote the 60 Sqd History) on Bishop which I am sure you will find interesting.
    I have been studying Bishop for about 5 years now as he had been one of my Boyhood Heros after I read his book "Winged Warefare".
    I read "Winged Warfare" back in my school days, when I was in my first infatuation with WWI aviation; it's on my Amazon wish list for my sisters' to get for me. I would be interested in the articles. PM sent.
    Karl