Ares Games

Thread: Thai Fighters (and Belgians and Bombers)

Default Thai Fighters (and Belgians and Bombers)

Well, I had a spare Italian Spad XIII....

And although it seems like vandalism to do a re-paint, as opposed to working with a pristine Shapeways model, that particular paint job is rather spartan. Yellow ochre overall, Italian markings.

So I bit the bullet, and now have Spad XIII No 10, "Captain". Had to load a Thai font to do the lettering, but it worked. I used the French multicolour scheme on their Spads as a base, substituting Thai rondels and Fin flash.

My research suggests that the Thai rondels were deliberately a bit smaller than the usual size, so as not to be confused with the RAF ones. That's what I've chosen anyway.

The Belgian Hanriot I painted also used the French colour scheme (but with Belgian Rondels), as latest research suggests that previously reported colour schemes were incorrect. Probably it was easier logistically to get French paint/dope. Silver/grey undersides though.

This appears to be correct, though the grey should be light green:

I used a simplified version of the tail markings, and in green which seems more common than blue.

I ended up with a similar scheme to the French (and Thai) Spads.

Unfortunately, I've found that the Patra varnish I tried using has an unfortunate effect on my decal paper - but only one model will need re-work.

I finished lozenging my Shapeways Friedrichshafen G-IIIa - but it needs matt varnish, a 100% decal covering looks glassy, not just glossy.

Basis is this scheme (on a GIII)

I went with sky blue undersides, white tail, late-war thin cross, and the most accurate 5-colour lozenge I could find.

It looks rather like this, but with a green speckled nose rather than plain dark blue:

Pix to follow.

Beautiful models and artwork, Zoe. What scale are they? 1:72? Great painting job.
    BTW I have never had any problems with Pactra matt varnish and decals. Effects were always satisfying. Maybe the sort of decal material causes problems...

The Spad is 1/72. The G-IIIa is a scratchbuilt 1/144 model from a very talented fine-scale modeller, Joel Christy. http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Christy/index.html

Original Italian Spad, French Spad, Thai re-paint of Italian Spad, Shapeways Hanriot HD.1, and Shapeways Friedrichshafen G.IIIa (with reinforced top wing leading edge, in accordance with one photo I found)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3a-2.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	25206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3a-1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	25205

THey look very nice. I would like to see more of the G.III please.
    Whats happening with the Hanriot's top wing? It looks like the paint is coming off!

Quote Originally Posted by pbhawkin View Post
    THey look very nice. I would like to see more of the G.III please.
    Whats happening with the Hanriot's top wing? It looks like the paint is coming off!
    It's where light green, stone, and light grey meet. But I didn't put enough white in the stone mix, so it looked too green - fixed now.
    I'm just using a phone cam, and that's about as close as I can take pictures without blurring. More later, when the crew is in.

Zoe!

They all came out great! The link was very nice also!

Rich

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Beautiful paint work.

Very nice group of planes, Well Done.

Thumbs up

Great Modelling Zoe. Wish I had half your ability!