Ares Games
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Videos of WW1 Aircraft

Today it's a great air-to-air video of William Barker's Sopwith Snipe... A recent new build by The Vintage Aviator Ltd with a restored (and original) Bentley BR.2 rotary engine. Thanks to Aeroplane for the support.

Yet another nice bit of footage Allan. Pity we didn't get a few more manoeuvres
    Rob.

Nice! Keep them coming !

Today it's a Fokker Dr.1 and its new cousin a Fokker D.VIII out on an early evening patrol.... This D.VIII features a new-build Obererusel UR.2 rotary engine which was reversed engineered and built by The Vintage Aviator in New Zealand. Magic!

Allan;
    Do you have any chance to talk to the pilots; what do they think of the D.VIII's handling?
    Karl

Great to see the plane I've just finished modelling in flight.
    Thanks for yet another great piece of footage Allan.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Do you have any chance to talk to the pilots; what do they think of the D.VIII's handling?
    Yes, we do get to talk to the pilots, and we're hoping to do some 'Flying Notes' type videos of some of these aircraft in the not too distant future. In the mean time there's an article in the lastest edition of Aeroplane Magazine which has the pilot (Gene de Marco) describing what it's like flying this aircraft. Check it out the Aeroplane website here:

http://www.aeroplanemonthly.com/magazine/latest-issue

Cheers
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAce View Post
    Today it's a Fokker Dr.1 and its new cousin a Fokker D.VIII out on an early evening patrol.... This D.VIII features a new-build Obererusel UR.2 rotary engine which was reversed engineered and built by The Vintage Aviator in New Zealand. Magic!

They've actually got my kite in the air. The Dr1 of an unknown pilot in the Flying Circus. Mine....... Oh how I wish I could go up in her for real now.........

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
    They've actually got my kite in the air. The Dr1 of an unknown pilot in the Flying Circus. Mine....... Oh how I wish I could go up in her for real now.........
    Yes sorry Chris.
    I should have added and the one that I painted up like yours.
    Rob.

Here's another ground-to-air shoot of the Barker Sopwith Snipe. Just listen to the growl of that Bentley BR.2 rotary....

Very nice a very satisfying growl!

Another nice bit of footage. Knowing that the engine is original puts a sparkle on the whole show.
    it is a pity that the Snipes got so little chance to play before the Armistice. I have never got late enough in any of my campaigns to fly mine in a serious combat yet, although my KoTA missions are now entering 1918, so who knows what we will see in the next report. You have re-kindled my interest.
    Rob.

This week we take a look at Sgt Alvaro Leonardi's Nieuport 11.

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing!

Great for getting a prolonged look at details of the machine and the colour scheme plus the positions where the borders of each colour ended. So much easier to be accurate than with a 2D picture.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

For those of you who 'fly' the SE5a (that's you FO Kyte!), here are a couple seen patrolling the front... Again this is some of our archive footage which is a few years old (as opposed to more recent hi-def material), so it's not quite so crisp, but never-the-less is a great look at a couple of The Vintage Aviator's S.E.5a's.

Excellent vids. Only wish I could afford one.

What's with the little green blobs under the flag? Mine says I'm yet to report for flight training lol.

Don't worry about it. It's just for fun. Consider it a bling indicator. Hand around long enough and you'll graduate to two, then three, etc.

Very interesting footage Allan, but 5690's fitters need to trim her slightly aft.
    Tell them to report to my Office.
    Kyte

What's with the little green blobs under the flag? Mine says I'm yet to report for flight training lol.
    Stop wingeing about seeing little green blobs Chris. Just remember to keep taking your crushed frog pills and they will go away.
    Rob.

I could listen to a rotary engine all dayand I like crushed frog pills

Here's another look at von Richthofen's reserve Fokker Dr.1 152/17:

Here's another look at von Richthofen's reserve Fokker Dr.1 152/17:
    Right! That's it Allan you have set me off again. The Baron will be flying that plane tomorrow in combat. I have mentioned elswhere on the Drome that I much prefer flying that model paint job to the all red version.
    Thanks for yet another wonderful piece of footage.
    Rob.

LOL Your going to be flying the Baron then!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Right! That's it Allan you have set me off again. The Baron will be flying that plane tomorrow in combat. I have mentioned elswhere on the Drome that I much prefer flying that model paint job to the all red version.
    Thanks for yet another wonderful piece of footage.
    Rob.

LOL Your going to be flying the Baron then!!!!!
    Not Bl***y likely me lord. I will be flying against him.
    Kyte.

Here's some more video of the Sopwith Snipe, plus the Bristol Fighter F.2b....

Another nice film Allan.
    I wonder how long it will be before Ares re issue the Snipes and get round to series 7 with the Bristol in it.
    Will I be flying these two birds in my lifetime?
    Rob.

Another nice film Allan.
    I wonder how long it will be before Ares re issue the Snipes and get round to series 7 with the Bristol in it.
    Will I be flying these two birds in my lifetime?
    Rob.
    Do you have any of the Snipes? They are still available here in NZ if you're prepared to pay the shipping......

As for the F.2B I did a version of this aircraft in paper (Fiddlers Green) a year or so ago. I'll have to dig them both out and do a WoG version of this video :-)

Allan

I'm curious, what do you guys fly as the camera plane?

Do you have any of the Snipes? They are still available here in NZ if you're prepared to pay the shipping......

As for the F.2B I did a version of this aircraft in paper (Fiddlers Green) a year or so ago. I'll have to dig them both out and do a WoG version of this video :-)

Allan
    Thanks for the generous offer Allan.
    I have the three original Snipes and a couple of Skytrex "Biffs" but want to fly the official Ares Biff against the Snipes.
    I have never actually flown one of the Snipes yet.
    Rob.

When we're filming the WW1 aircraft we generally use a Cessna 180. We take the door off, Alex the photographer sits in the front seat, and I (the videographer) sit in the back with a cunning piece of video hardware that let's me get the footage we get, without interferng with what Alex is doing up front :-)

You'll find many of Alex's great photos in the WW1 Album on our Facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5494465&type=3

Cheers
    Allan

Here's the first video footage of the brand new TVAL Sopwith Pup 'Betty', in the colours of Joe Fall from Naval 3.....

Yet another cracking bit of film Allan.
    This is yet anothe plane I will be now needing a kit for.
    Rob.

Yet another cracking bit of film Allan.
    This is yet anothe plane I will be now needing a kit for.
    Rob.
    Yes, there's something nice about a British aircraft with a dash of colour on its nose to spice things up a bit

Several Fokker Dr.1 replicas coming and going.....

It's been a few weeks since we uploaded some WW1 aircraft videos so I thought I'd dig this old footage out of the archives. It shows several of The Vintage Aviators Dr.1's doing touch and goes in their early 1918 colour schemes (before they were repainted into their current April 1918 Jasta 11 schemes).

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Sean
    Sorties Flown

Excellent stuff.....

Five Fokker Dr.1 triplanes practice their low level strafing.... sure, it would be nice if the engines in these replicas were Oberursel's, but hey, this is still a pretty cool video even with slightly more modern Warner Scarab radial engines...

Yet another superb piece of footage Allan.
    Made me want to get my Fokkers out and fly them all at once.
    Rob.

They are just great! How much does it cost to build one and get it airbourne?

They are just great! How much does it cost to build one and get it airbourne?
    More than we could afford even if we pooled our resources, and sold our souls to the Devil Chris.
    Pity they don't give refunds on empty G&T bottles.
    Rob.

More than we could afford even if we pooled our resources, and sold our souls to the Devil Chris.
    Pity they don't give refunds on empty G&T bottles.
    Rob.
    You stick with your G&T's, and I'll go for the Rum, Bum and Baccy approach lol BTW, still haven't figured out how to report for flight training! So many kills, and according to this I haven't even got off the ground yet lol.

Excellent footage. I am going to a show in three weeks and can't wait. Hope it is half as good as what you have in NZ.

This weeks video is Capt Gwilym H. Lewis' Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a.....

Yet another inspiring machine in flight Allan.
    I particularly like the white accent on the wheel covers, the radiator, and around the identification letters.
    Rob.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast