Ares Games
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Videos of WW1 Aircraft

Cheers Allan.
    Where are the RFC when you need them?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Allan

Three times the enjoyment!

Rich

These are great videos of the rebuilt aircraft in New Zealand!

Thumbs up

Super Videos! Loved the Cat & all the Albatross!

Thanks for the reminder.
    I had bookmarked the site last year.
    Finally got around to ordering the Dual Pack

Highlights from the final flying weekend of the Vintage Aviator's WW1 aircraft (for this season):

Beautiful video, Allan! That must have been quite a show.

Thanks for that Allan, superb footage !

"He is wise who watches"

Great footage as usual, but what I enjoyed most was the inclusion of a few of the lesser iconic machines which we don't get to see so often.
    Thanks for the show Allan.
    Rob.

Great video! What an amazing collection of WWI planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Excellent video!
    Indeed! Thanks Alllan.

LOOP

Another great video Allan and one that had perfect timing to.
    I'm about to paint me an FE2b and was thinking a nightscheme. The rondells under the lower wing. Do they have the normal colours (without white border) or are they made darker/greyer is some way? It is a bit hard to see

I think they're pretty much normal -- here are a a couple of photos:

Jess: https://www.flickr.com/photos/minico...n/photostream/

FE2b at Hendon: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59455242@N07/8398202298

Thumbs up

Thanks for that really great vid of a superb collection of WW1 icons.

LOOP

I looked at various pics on the net but they are mostly from above or from the side so it is hard to see under the wings.
    And when you CAN see then they are allways shaded. The black or dark grey colouring of the wings makes the rondells look dark or greyish.
    The drawings I've found are mostly of daylight camo or not showing the underside.
    Those were much clearer. Thanks Allan

Finally got around to updating much of our old SD 4:3 footage to HD 16:9 and it's now available on updated disks (DVD and Blu-Ray). Here's the teaser:

Thumbs up

Thank you for that great clip Allen!
    Terrific footage & I just love the sound of the Camel on the Blip switch.
    Is the DH-2 a new aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAce View Post
    Finally got around to updating much of our old SD 4:3 footage to HD 16:9 and it's now available on updated disks (DVD and Blu-Ray). Here's the teaser:

Thanks, Allan.
    I will have to check the DVD set I got from you a couple of months back to see if it is this one or not.
    If not, it will be "on the list" .

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Thank you for that great clip Allen!
    Terrific footage & I just love the sound of the Camel on the Blip switch.
    Is the DH-2 a new aircraft?
    No the DH-2 has been here since 2004 -- it flew in the airshow here at Omaka in 2005 (as seen in the footage), but has been inside the Aviation Heritage Centre since late 2006, which is a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Thanks, Allan.
    I will have to check the DVD set I got from you a couple of months back to see if it is this one or not.
    If not, it will be "on the list" .
    Hi Pete -- these are essentially upscaled and widescreen versions of what you already have, so probably not worthwhile buying again -- better to wait until our next WW1 disk (still a little way away yet), or sign up for our paid channel (The Machine Channel) which has only HD versions of all this and much more:

http://www.aviationfilm.com/gallery/channels.shtml

Cheers
    Allan

The one I got looked great on my big screen TV.
    The bonus one I have to play on my PC, but that's fine.

Great stuff Allan.....the Pflaz D.III was really cool.

Here's what I think is a rather awesome video of NINE British World War One aircraft, all operating with original aero engines, in a massed flypast recently. This must be the only time in past 90 years or so that so many WW1 aircraft with original aero engines have flown together like this -- this really is the sound of the air war during the First World War.

RAF F.E.2b, RAF R.E.8, two Sopwith Pups, Airco DH.4, three RAF S.E.5a's and a Sopwith Snipe!

Cheers
    Allan
    --
    Historical Aviation Film Unit
    http://www.aviationfilm.com
    Last edited by KiwiAce; 05-02-2019 at 14:52.

Very impressive Allan.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.

An impressive treat for the senses Allan

"He is wise who watches"

Amazing!

Many thanks for posting it here!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thumbs up

Fantastic Allen!
    You could hear the rotaries blipping from time to time.

Default What's your favourite WW1 aircraft?

Here's the start of a new video series that we're going to be putting together over the next few months...

Look forward to hearing any feedback that anyone might have...

Cheers,
    Allan
    --
    Historical Aviation Film Unit

Saw this from a Facebook link yesterday.
    I found it very interesting to see the BE.2c in action - especially the closeups of the Lewis gun mounts (even though the plane in the film was unarmed)

Thank you for posting that video, Pete. It was interesting. I have watched the Wings series they mentioned on video and I would recommend it too as an insight into the early days of WW1 flying, even though it was fiction. I believe that the plane used in the flying scenes in Wings was a radio controlled scale model. It is a pity that the B.B.C. (a) failed to develop the Wings series further into WW1 with another set of episodes and (b) failed to broadcast the programmes as part of the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of WW1.

I thought the BE2 used in "Wings" was the one from the Shuttleworth collection; the Eindecker was.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for posting that video, Pete.
    I can't take credit for that, David - it was all Allan, the KiwiAce.

Nice start to the series. Hope future episodes are just a nice!

Another great video, thanks Allan.

I saw the notification of this when I logged into my YouTube account earlier. I hope the series pans out, but I must say, the BE 2, for all it being iconic, has to be one of my least favorite aircraft.

Great video Allan.
    I have all the episodes of Wings recorded so it was most poignant to me also.
    A very clear and concise appreciation of the BE with all its pluses and minuses explained.
    My own favourite would be the SE5 or 5a.
    Thanks for giving us the chance to view this on the Drome.

Rob.

According to the Wikipedia article,

"The book BBC VFX (Mat Irvine and Mike Tucker) states that few First World War aircraft were still airworthy at the time of production so the majority of flying shots were achieved with 1/6 scale radio-controlled models under the guidance of long-time model aircraft expert David Boddington alongside Derek Piggott and Tony Bianchi. Piggott served as a stunt pilot during the filming of the 1966 movie The Blue Max. "

Default Lastest HAFU Video

Here's the the latest Historical Aviation Film Unit video: The Fokker D.VIII

Cheers
    Allan

Thanks Allan - superb machine !

"He is wise who watches"

Might even prompt me to get mine out and try a game with them.
    Cheers for that Allan.
    Rob.

Default Fokker D.VII Cockpit - Just like you're there

Here's something a little different -- 360° VR video from a WW1 fighter - the Fokker D.VII. We'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one, as we have a lot more of these sorts of stunning videos in the pipeline....

Cheers,
    Allan

Just logged in to see if you posted this. That was a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Just logged in to see if you posted this. That was a lot of fun!
    Glad you liked it!

Over the next couple of months we'll be able to release similar videos (i.e. ones that have already been shot), of the Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Snipe, Airco DH.4, Airco DH.4 gunner, Albatros D.II and R.A.F. B.E.2 ....

In other words, we have lots of treats line up. :-)

Cheers
    Allan

That video is amazing. Watched on my iPad Pro and had a blast swiveling the view all over in VR. I was stunned by how much of an obstruction the upper wing really presents. It was hard to follow the British 2 seater in the turn as so much of the sky was blotted out. Thanks for sharing!

That video is amazing. Watched on my iPad Pro and had a blast swiveling the view all over in VR. I was stunned by how much of an obstruction the upper wing really presents. It was hard to follow the British 2 seater in the turn as so much of the sky was blotted out. Thanks for sharing!

Allan, that is really Awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing that!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Yes, but don't forget that the camera was essentially mounted on the gun butt, under the top wing, rather than in the cockpit, so the pilot actually has better vision that this view would suggest.

We will try and get some material more from the pilots actual position at some point further down the track.

Cheers
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAce View Post
    Yes, but don't forget that the camera was essentially mounted on the gun butt, under the top wing, rather than in the cockpit, so the pilot actually has better vision that this view would suggest.

We will try and get some material more from the pilots actual position at some point further down the track.

Cheers
    Allan
    Thanks for that clarification. I was in complete empathetic terror for D.VII pilots in combat!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast