Ares Games
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: New Videos of WW1 Aircraft

Nice one, Allan.

Looking forward to those upcoming ones.
    The DH.4 gunner sounds really interesting.

That's really neat Allan, look forward to seeing what you chaps come up with next

"He is wise who watches"

Yes, really awesome! Thanks for sharing these!

Thanks for sharing the video!

Not many people know that it was possible to pilot (at least some) de Havilland DH.4 bombers from the rear gunner's seat during the First World War. Many two-seater aircraft had some form of rudimentary control in the gunners cockpit, but the DH.4 has a full suite of pilot controls available in that rear position.... Hope you enjoy the video... ;-)

Cheers,
    Allan

Thank you for sharing that video, Allan. Controls in the rear cockpit have been discussed in another thread because one of the R.E.8 models had an equipment card allowing the observer to fly the plane.

Very interesting, that'll give some in game ideas for limited control of the machine when the pilot cops it.

"He is wise who watches"

Indeed, this is well-documented. Havent' had a chance to check + my YouTube subs yet, will have to go watch this one, for sure.

There's a new (huge) photo book coming later this year from author Attila Szalay-Berzeviczy called "In the Centennial Footsteps of the Great War“ -- it's a tribute to the centennial of the First World War, done through contemporary imagery. Here's our interview with the author:

Hope you're all staying safe and well during the current crisis. :-)

Regards
    Allan

Nice interview! Book sounds really interesting.

Will be watching for that book release.

Wow! Thank you Allen. I’ll be enjoy these many times over.

Thank you for he 'heads up', Allen.

That was wonderful to watch!

Thank you for posting that video!

Default de Havilland DH-4 in flight

Here's the the latest (WW1) Historical Aviation Film Unit video:

Thank you for sharing that video, Allan.

Great to see a US DH4 in flight, and with a concise historical commentary too.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great clarity in that video, Allan.
    Really shows how exposed the rear gunner was.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Here's the the latest (WW1) Historical Aviation Film Unit video, more of those gorgeous Albatros fighters built by The Vintage Aviator Collection...

They are just gorgeous. I have actually stood next to the middle one. See my photos in my album x an experience I have never forgotten!

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=2197
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 09-25-2020 at 00:39.

Great stuff, but flying straight and level like that could be a bad move!.......
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Here's an experimental video about Hans Kirschtein's Fokker Dr.1 .... not sure how well this 'style' of narration actually works. What's your opinion?

On another note I can't believe it's almost 10 months since I last managed to get a video posting here onto the Aerodrome ... it's a crazy new covid world, but we been really really busy. One of the results of all that is that we've just launched our new streaming video-on-demand service : Historical Machines TV.

Full Disclosure: The Following Is Essentially An Advert Masquerading As A PSA

We've finally realised that YouTube is simply not the best platform for our material -- it was getting increasingly frustrating to be able to do with the platform what we needed, so we've made the jump to something that's a lot more workable and sustainable. What does this mean for you? Well, if you're interested in supporting us on our mission statement to continue to record and preserve the audio-visual history of these machines, you'll have access to what I expect will be the best place in the world to find video of WW1 aircraft (and that's ignoring all the other great footage you'll find on the channel). Currently on the service are all our previous DVD releases, which feature in themselves a significant amount of WW1 aircraft video from the Classic Fighters 2001 Airshow onward, through to the more recent (2014) release of 'Dogfight - The Vintage Aviator Collection'.

Sure, some of this material has been published on YouTube previously, but by no means all of it. For the cost of less than a cup of coffee a month, you can access the new service, and have immediate streaming access to all this material. In addition to that, after over 15 years of very significant amounts of work and filming alongside the pilots of The Vintage Aviator Collection here in NZ, we have in our archive a huge amount of WW1 aircraft video that has never been published in any shape or form. Over the coming months more and more of that is going to be added to HMTV for your viewing pleasure. And don't forget all the incredible WW2-era footage that's available too, including the full version of our 2014 DVD - 'Mosquito: A Wooden Wonder Restored".

Anyone signing up for an annual subscription before the end of July is eligible for an additional early bird discount of 10% which is applied to the account perpetually. That's our way of thanking anyone who's keen to support us as an early 'Founding Subscriber' to the service. Check it out: http://historicalmachines.tv/pages/founders

/Advert OFF

Anyway, thanks for that, hope you enjoy the video below. And in all seriousness we'd be keen to hear feedback about the narration ....

Regards
    Allan

Nice little video with some interesting facts.

not sure how well this 'style' of narration actually works. What's your opinion?
    The narration definitely needs work - sounds almost like a computer-generated voice.

Is it?

Would definitely deter me from subscribing (and I am interested)

Like the video. Regarding the narration - the script is interesting, by way of a quick potted biography, but the mono tone voice generated by the computer (I assume that's what it is) I find a little disappointing and in my opinion doesn't do the video justice in terms of quality.
    Thanks for posting Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice little video with some interesting facts.

The narration definitely needs work - sounds almost like a computer-generated voice.

Is it?

Would definitely deter me from subscribing (and I am interested)

It is computer generated. Possibly not as good as some others. We're NOT going to be using it on a widespread basis, but we are using it on an experimental basis in some places. At the moment I don't think the technology is quite there yet, but I'd say in a few years time you will be very hard pressed to distinguish it.

Thanks for the feedback, look forward to seeing you on the channel. :-)

Signed up for a year, Allan.
    Got a special offer so did not see the Founder 10 option, but that's OK.

Here's a quick PSA for those of you interested in seeing some more action from the WW1 (& WW2) aircraft in New Zealand...

We (the Historical Aviation Film Unit) have made the full length official DVD movie of the Classic Fighters 2003 airshow available for free streaming on our new channel (Historical Machines TV). This is the first time this movie has been available to stream in full, BUT it's only available until the 2nd of November, so if you're keen to check it out, even just the WW1 aircraft segments, make a mental note to do it sooner, rather than later.

http://www.aviationfilm.com/video/cf2003

Six different types of World War One aircraft were displayed, along with several other aircraft never before seen in New Zealand, and the ground theatre re-enactments took on a whole new size and dimension. The result was an airshow that firmly cemented Classic Fighters' burgeoning reputation for putting on events out of the ordinary.

This full length programme includes:

* Bristol Fighter F2b (incl air-to-air footage)
    * Fokker Dr.1
    * Nieuport 24 (incl air-to-air footage)
    * Halberstadt D.IV
    * Avro 504k (incl air-to-air footage)
    * Sopwith Camel (incl dogfight with Dr.1)
    * Polikarpov Po2
    * Lockheed Electra L12a Jnr
    * Percival 'Piston' Provost
    * North American P-51D Mustang
    * Beech Staggerwing & Ryan STM
    * de Havilland Chipmunk & Dragon
    * de Havilland Moth Minor, Devon & Beaver
    * Curtis P-40 Kittyhawks (x2)
    * World War One ground theatre scenario
    * Yak 52 aerobatics
    * North American T-6 Harvard aerobatics
    * RNZAF Hercules, 727, Orion, Iroquois,
    * RNZAF CT-4 and Kaman Seasprite
    * Giles 202, Tiger Moth and Pitts Special
    * World War Two ground theatre scenario
    * Consolidated PBY-5a Catalina flying boat
    * Cessna L-19 Bird Dogs (x4)
    Last edited by KiwiAce; 10-26-2021 at 17:02.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567