Ares Games

Thread: Coastal Action anyone?

Default Coastal Action anyone?

My latest journey into off shore madness!

Another WOW, are they scratch builds? And please leave my U-boats alone

Very cool stuff, all of it. Fantastic

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Another WOW, are they scratch builds? And please leave my U-boats alone
    Yes they are, I can attest to! I have dibs on the red/white striped one! Dave and I are working on a naval/coastal scenario of the Germans cover the transit of U-boats while the British try to prevent that using RNAS a/c and the pictured ASW blimps. All we need now are U-boat cards and maybe a Hansa-Brandenburg or two.

Dave is the most skilled model maker I've personally come across. We are, indeed, fortunate to have him in the Arizona Squadron and the Los Estrellas Distoras Flight in Phoenix!

Thumbs up

Again Fantastic Modelling! Congratulations

Working on a base with firing arcs and selecting a suitable movement deck for the blimp, I couldn't resist the cool pics on the web. I'll do a how to soon if there is any interest.

I've only got one felixstowe and I can't get the germans to fly against it a second time after it shot down three scouts.
    Historically 14 fighters attacked 3 Flexistowes, 6 fighters shot down to no flying boats lost.
    Five together, I dont think any german would come near them.

Love to see your How to on the Fleixstowe and Blimp
    That is amazing workmanship.
    How long do they take you?
    Superb paint schemes.
    WOW
    Linz

Yes please David. I'm on the Felixtowe as we communicate, and the Blimp was next on the list after I finish the Short Flying boat.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

If you look back at an earlier post by David Malany (Wings of War/Waves of War I think it was) you will see some pictures of British 55ft Torpedo boats. These are in 1/200 scale, they are by Lambton Miniatures, who also do a German PT boat and submarine, having got some recently they fit in real good with WoG minatures. Alternativly if you want some thing smaller in 1/600 scale got to the PT Dockyard they also make British and German pT boats under the heading of WW1 Splinter Fleet.

Thanks Doug. I've been looking for that link again since I found out Skytrex ones were too small for my needs when I saw them at the show on Saturday. Have you got a link to the store as Google is less than helpful on this one.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-04-2011 at 04:28.

excellent David just excellent.

Could you explain what they are made from and were they done in a jig or something as they all look to be out of the same mold (not a kit is it?).

David!

I am nearly speechless, they are lovely!

Rich

The blimps are carved from open cell foam by hand, lots easier than it sounds if you follow a pattern. I will put together a step by step article and post the plans over the weekend with some pictures. The prototype in the pictures took less than 3 hours start to finish. I used the process first to build five Drakken blimps which I will also post, they came out very cool! The fun part of all this madness is figuring out how to make them quickly and accurately! My mind never sleeps, lest it rusts.

they are superb . fantastic

The attached photo is a comparison between the Langton boats and WoG aircraft. Rob the web sight for Langtion miniatures is as follows: www.rodlangton.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2523.jpg  

Thanks Alastair. Order sent.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Hi Chaps,

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but Skytrex have posted some new WW1 aircraft miniatures on their website which would fall nicely into this theme including the Short's 184 Seaplane, the Felixstowe flying boat anf two versions of Hansa-Brandeburg. Apologies if you already know, but I have only just set eyes on them and they look wonderful painted up! I rather fancy a Felixstowe in dazzle markings myself.
    (BTW I have no connection to Skytrex!)

Linners

No problem Mark. It is always worth a reminder as some chaps miss the original and they soon get lost off the page.
    For comments so far see:- http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-off-the-water.

Rob.

David,
    Sorry I meant what were the Felixstowes made out of! Were they all scratch built?

Out of interest were the Blimps primarliy use for observation if so did they carry a radio to report enemy sightings, and were the armed in any way?

Pretty fantastic builds; my complements to you.
    BTW, back when Shapeways was just appearing on the 'Drome's radar, Roman asked me privately if there was any interest in seaplanes and flying boats with the members of the forum (I had PM'ed him a wishlist). So we might see something from him in the future.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Out of interest were the Blimps primarliy use for observation if so did they carry a radio to report enemy sightings, and were the armed in any way?
    They were used extensively in an anti submarine roll over the North sea in conjunction with seaplanes, and in a spotting role for the Home Fleet. The Coastal class armament comprised 2 Lewis Mgs.and 4 51 Kg bombs or depth charges. The SSZ class carried 1 Lewis and 29 Kg. of bombs, whilst the North Sea Class had a payload of 3 Lewis guns and 363 Kg. of bombs.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-06-2011 at 06:06.