Ares Games

View Poll Results: Which region do you focus on (minis)?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I focus on Europe.

51 50.00%
  • I focus on the pacific region.

5 4.90%
  • I would love to have more Africa.

3 2.94%
  • I focus on two of them.

10 9.80%
  • I want it all - and I want it now!

33 32.35%

Thread: Which battlefield?

Default Which battlefield?

My fellow citizens... The upcoming african Stuka mini made up my mind - it's gonna be hard to combine all the WWII planes with a rising number of battle-regions. Do you have a focus, or don't you care at all?

Cast you vote now!
    Last edited by Scoop; 12-09-2009 at 11:20.

Good question. I haven't started collecting the WWII minis, and I don't think there have been any WWI minis from other than the Western Front (if there are... then I haven't noticed that particualr detail). The away we play, the markings on the planes, the color schemes, etc. are rather moot, as it is the time frame of it's operational activities, the model of the plane, and it's characteristics that are considered.

I forgot to put in WWII in the headline - must be somewhere in the post though. WWI is not a big thing, you can match almost anything. But in WWII there is a russian plane coming up and an african Stuka. The thing is, if I was a collector I wouldn't mind but when I play I want to be correct. So I think I might buy several stukas of the same type and put on decals later. I don't really know if this a big thing to anyone else, that's why I put in this poll

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

I'm a pacific war fan, but some of the most beautiful planes are from other fronts so i guess i'm up for all.

I wish they would stick with just the European and Pacific theaters. While the African front is cool, they are never going to release enough planes to fill it out enough were you can field an African battle. Giving us just one plane only dilutes the other theaters. What I wish they would do is give use a decal sheet with the minis for other planes. Then we could do repaints easier if one was so inclined.

As a collector I'll pick them all up, but the Africa Stuka will be the last one I get.

I know what you mean about diluting the other existing fields. However, that's sort of where we are with the WWI minis, isn't it?

There are so many theaters where airplanes fought in WWII, that I don't see any way to keep the fans happy without diluting. I would like to see a Spitfire in actual Battle of Britain livery, as well as Midway or Coral Sea Wildcats. But it will have to wait...

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

I would really get them all but reality is I can't. I like the pacific planes, especially the zero but when I really think about it, i'm all in the European theater...

So this is my final answer.

I voted for Europe but would certainly want to play the Russian front as well.

Note really into the Pacific area. [lol even though I live in it]

just didn't get into the Jap plans as much as the British, Germans and the Russians.

Cheers
    GW

Default Theatres of Operation for WW2

I'll probably end up organising a series of connected mini campaigns for DoWW2 once our group has enough aircraft to make life interesting, starting with the ETO:

May-June 2010: Battle of France 1940
    Allied Aircraft: Hawker Hurricane, Dewoitine D.520, Supermarine Spitfire (over Dunkerque), Bristol Blenheim I and IV (Skytrex).
    Axis Aircraft: Messerschmitt Bf109E, Messerschmitt Bf110C (Skytrex), Junkers Ju87B, Junkers Ju88A (Air200), Heinkel He111 (Skytrex), Dornier Do17 (Skytrex).

July-September 2010: Battle of Britain 1940
    Allied Aircraft: Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire.
    Axis Aircraft: Messerschmitt Bf109E, Messerschmitt Bf110C (Skytrex), Junkers Ju87B, Junkers Ju88A (Air200), Heinkel He111 (Skytrex), Dornier Do17 (Skytrex).

From there we'll go to North Africa and the Med, then Russia and finally the Pacific (Philippines, Singapore, Guadalcanal and New Guinea).

Players will be able to take their surviving pilots from one campaign to the next. This will be a good way to ensure members of our playing group get to fly their favourite aircraft at some point.

Cheers,

Carl.

I prefer the pacific region because I don't like to play WW2 Germans...

Same counts for me - I love the spits in battle of britain. I didn't separate western and eastern europe in the poll. But yes, west and east is another thing with different planes, too.

Col. Hajj: My words, that's exactly what I mean. I bought the deluxe set and had 4 planes from 2 different theaters. You can't really play with that. Well, I'm a collector as well, so after all I'll have 4 spits and 4 Bf-109, that's enough for a decent dogfight. The disappointment came with the stukas. Sure, they look great, but I don't want an african stuka and I personally don't really like the italian planes in WWII. So there is actually only one stuka I would really buy without repainting (which I don't really want to - cause I'm not a big shot). The easiest was putting decals on the already painted minis.

We're currently playing the Battle of France and next is obviously the Battle of Britain, so the few minis we own are all focused in this campaigns.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

I really want all miniatures!!!!!!!!! However the war in Europe is more interesting to me than the Pacific war, in general lines.

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

The Pacific is my favorite theater.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Morten Broested
    Sorties Flown

I'd like to be able to play in every scne of the war. But..

As I don't use official minis, I really don't care which is out. The lead ones costs 60 p up to 1 pound sterling or so. Add to that two magnets costing 1 pound total, and I have my models (need paint of course =) ).
    The main problem I see is that the cards really don't help. I mean: A and B cannot be used in the pacific for instance, only three planes for the soviets (excluding the stuka) and so on.
    More boosters!

Default Pacific Theatre Spitfires

Quote Originally Posted by kombofink View Post
    I'd like to be able to play in every scne of the war. But..

As I don't use official minis, I really don't care which is out. The lead ones costs 60 p up to 1 pound sterling or so. Add to that two magnets costing 1 pound total, and I have my models (need paint of course =) ).
    The main problem I see is that the cards really don't help. I mean: A and B cannot be used in the pacific for instance, only three planes for the soviets (excluding the stuka) and so on.
    More boosters!
    In 1942 and 1943 both the Royal Air Force (RAF) and Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) used the Spitfire Mk.V (A deck) in Burma and in the Pacific. In game terms the Spitfire Mk.V had comparable performance to the Mk.II, with armament of either 4 x 20mm cannon, 2 x 20m cannon & 4 x 7.7mm machine guns, or eight 7.7mm machine guns depending on the variant. The Mk.V was also the first Spitfire fitted with bomb racks and could carry 2 x 113kg bombs.

At least you can get some use out of your A manouvre decks.

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I wish they would stick with just the European and Pacific theaters. While the African front is cool, they are never going to release enough planes to fill it out enough were you can field an African battle. Giving us just one plane only dilutes the other theaters. What I wish they would do is give use a decal sheet with the minis for other planes. Then we could do repaints easier if one was so inclined.

As a collector I'll pick them all up, but the Africa Stuka will be the last one I get.

I am with you on this one...at $10-12 per mini sticking to the two primary theaters is good for me. I would prefer some more Pacific love though....Where is my SBD?

Europe and Pacific for me and am considering adding some North African planes to my mix
    Last edited by Roger Wilco; 01-11-2010 at 12:20. Reason: Off topic

wjhupp

WW1 is generally more balanced than WW2, so I think you do have to pick your theaters of war so to speak. I vote Early Pacific war first (and yah where are my SBD's), Battle of Britain second, and bomber support in Europe. (It would be cool to do some tank busting with some P-47s, but that is probably a different game.)

I'd like to see an Avenger along with the SBD for the Pacific. A Kate would be nice. Perhaps an all bomber release for one of the series? Then an F4U and an F6F.
    As for Africa, repaints. An upcoming release is the Hurricane, a P-40 will be available, and the 109E is usable in North Africa. Folks are always repainting the WWI, why not the WWII?

Name
    Jesús
    Sorties Flown

I want the all of them!!
    But I would like to get more africa planes...

Anyway, I like mixing it!!

With most of the battles being fought in Europe and the Pacific, the African campaign would naturally occupy a much smaller percentage of coverage. I don't know how many people will not use aircraft without the correct paint schemes, but it would seem that a suitable number of current and soon to be released versions would suffice for a decent campaign. We all have our favorite planes we would like to see but I think we have to remember that they must sell enough planes to justify the manufacture. Just some thoughts on the subject.

I and my sons are focusing on the fall of France and the Battle of Brittain. But I will be buying the North Africa Stuka and Russian Hurrican as they both appear very nice models for collections sake!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I went for Europe but I am using 1/144 planes as I feel they look so much better.
    OK I have to build and paint them but there again I can have which Squ I want and not the ones I am given.

Like Freddy Mercury sung...."i want it all!"...i mean the scenarios

Voted for Europe because I prefer WWI without a preference for a specific front at the moment. I choose a German Avatar (my favourite plane) and French Side.

But I confess my secret and powerful yearning: if it will created an Italian side I immediatly change my avatar and side. Excuse me but ...!

Attilio

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

I would have said just Europe but just seen 2 great shows on the pacific region and want to do something from that area now!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

While most of my planes are in the European theatre I have purchased what I could for the Pacific theatre.

Wow, this is an old one I never saw. I lean heavily Pacific but will gladly get any new planes ARES makes, so I had to vote I want it all.

Thank you for the thread necromancy! It reminds me that we need a poll renaissance.

After long deliberation I ended up voting pacific region.

I voted ALL (surprise, surprise!) because I already have forces for all 3 theatres of BoB, North Africa and Pacific.

I won't be expanding into Russian Front, China or Spain though.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!