Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
461. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

249 54.01%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

132 28.63%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

80 17.35%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

The Yamato will be 4.3 feet long in 1/200 scale.
    Just about the same length as Clipper's Zeppelins in 1/144 scale.

Do we know if this covers more than the Napoleonic period? I have always wanted to do the Anglo-Dutch wars as those ships are breath-taking!
    sky

Oh I was also wondering if there is a blog site for this game yet - you know like this one?
    sky

Thanks! I just bookmarked the site. It appears that the registration feature has been disabled.
    sky

Yes, ditto on the registration issue (which is a pity since I can't wait to speculate along with the best of them )

If you still can't register PM Oberst Hajj who is First Sea Lord off the Sails of Glory site.

When are they planning on getting some product out for this game?

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    When are they planning on getting some product out for this game?
    Not a date yet, but you can check out the update here.

Less likely now theyre switching scales

I might be tempted to play the game depends on how much its going to cost me in postage.

GW

I had planned on buying/playing the game when it was rumoured that they would be going with 1/1200 scale. Having just seen info from Ares games that they will be going for 1/1000 scale I am having a serious change of mind. Also, I think the paint job is very basic - OK for the price we will be paying to get a painted mini it will be cheap enough.

IMHO they have missed a trick by bringing in a new scale when an existing one would have supplemented the range of miniatures available for the game & broadened its appeal. Granted there are those who would be happy to put 1/1000 alongside 1/1200 to play, but after seeing a picture of a Langtons mini compared to one from SoG there is a noticable size difference. For me it would be like playing with 15mm & 20mm miniatures on the same table.

I MAY, but only may, decide to buy the boxed game and use existing miniatures with it, however I am highly unlikely to purchase the miniatures due to the scale being used.

No doubt others will disagree with my comments, but I just thought I would post my thoughts on the new SoG mini's

[[ Deleted post as I had inadvertently posted it twice]]

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    [[ Deleted post as I had inadvertently posted it twice]]
    I do agree with Adie that the change of scale was a mistake.
    I am lucky in that I have no models and the larger size should make repaints easier.
    However, if the takeup on Shapeways aircraft is anything to go by, it will hurt Ares sales, if we cannot obtain those other models needed to extend the range of scenarios playable. No games involving Bomb Ketches, merchant vessels, Schooners and Brigantines, etc. will certainly limit my interest. You can only play so many Line, or Frigate actions before boredom sets in.
    Rob.

Given the number of 1/1200 scale bits I've got I am a bit wary of buying yet another scale of sailing ships. The beauty for me was that I already had all shapes and sizes to fill the gaps that Ares wouldn't be doing, at least not for a very long time.

I saw the photo of the one ship and thought it looked good. I have to mention that I bought a wargame magazine the other day and there was a rule set, Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls, that was reviewed. Is is Naponelonic naval rules. Hope the ships come out soon.

For me,what Guntruck said.
    If I do buy this game, now the scale has changed it will be the box set only andvIll use my 1/1200 ships instead

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    I saw the photo of the one ship and thought it looked good. I have to mention that I bought a wargame magazine the other day and there was a rule set, Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls, that was reviewed. Is is Naponelonic naval rules. Hope the ships come out soon.
    I just picked up the Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls rule book, and it looks pretty good. Now I can use my 1/1200's and have a use for my old Poker cards.

Ed I saw that set and was wondering about the rules. Let us know how they are.

AM really looking forward to it - wonder If I can use any of the hundreds of 'Pirates of the Spanish Main, etc ships I still have in their original state.
    Have seen some of the initial pictures and the ships could be very nice indeed. Be very nice to see the finished version (think I will have to negotiate a pocket money increase, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Ed I saw that set and was wondering about the rules. Let us know how they are.
    Will do

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    I just picked up the Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls rule book, and it looks pretty good. Now I can use my 1/1200's and have a use for my old Poker cards.
    This site has a Quick Reference Sheet and other free downloads related to Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls rules:
    http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Blood...-Balls/p/3130/

I'm not sure I will have enough room for all the WW 1 miniatures and sails also?

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    This site has a Quick Reference Sheet and other free downloads related to Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls rules:
    http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Blood...-Balls/p/3130/
    Thanks for the heads up Ken. That will save me a lot of book bending

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I was going to get into this in a big way and had started to put cash into a ship fund but now with the change of scale I'm sorry ARES but I won't be buying any of these and will be using metal 1/1200 instead. A great shame and it's a massive disappointment for me that the scale is changing. I went from huge interest to zero interest.

On the plus side I will be buying more WW1 planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo UK View Post
    I was going to get into this in a big way and had started to put cash into a ship fund but now with the change of scale I'm sorry ARES but I won't be buying any of these and will be using metal 1/1200 instead. A great shame and it's a massive disappointment for me that the scale is changing. I went from huge interest to zero interest.

On the plus side I will be buying more WW1 planes.
    Ditto

I am just waiting for the models to be released.

Those of you interested in Sails of Glory need to check out DJensen's post on the Sails of Glory site. He has posted some photos of ships he has built...and the job done is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Those of you interested in Sails of Glory need to check out DJensen's post on the Sails of Glory site. He has posted some photos of ships he has built...and the job done is fantastic.
    Link ?

I have problems logging in since I forgot my password. Amnd the recovery sistem asks me "Who lead the British ships at the Battle of Trafalgar?" - it seems that I do not know the correct answer. Does anybody know?

vBulletin Message
    The answer given for the random question was incorrect.

I already tried:
    Nelson
    Lord Nelson
    Lord Horatio Nelson
    Admiral Nelson
    Admiral Horatio Nelson
    Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson
    Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson

Even some of them with "Horace" instead than "Horatio". And "Oratio Nelson".
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 10-27-2012 at 22:51.

I guess Keith will have to reset it.
    Last edited by Coog; 10-27-2012 at 23:25.

Uhoh. I better start saving my money.

Taken from Facebook. Caption is "We just received the first samples of the pre-production of SAILS OF GLORY and we're so excited that we can't wait to have properly done photos, so here's a sneak peek straight out of Roberto's webcam!"

Andrea has posted elsewhere on the web that he is intending to demo the game at Salute in April 2013 (a show that I will be attending) and Ferrara (a town which, coincidentally I am besieging in a renaissance campaign that a friend is running). So hoping for a release sometime in the first half of next year

I've played Kiss Me Hardy the last few times I've gamed the age of sail and really like the rules. I'd have to say that I'm probably not going to be a cross over player here, though I would be interested in seeing the system in action. Hopefully someone will do a convention game.

I'll see if I can press gang Hayden into playing Sails of Glory as I love the Napoleonic period.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    I'll see if I can press gang Hayden into playing Sails of Glory as I love the Napoleonic period.
    Nope! Sorry Mark... it's not gonna work MWUHAHAHAHA! Well, if you buy it... I will play it.

Ah but Hayden last year you never heard of Wings of War/ Glory and now look what's happened to you , you've got as many planes as I have and are addicted to playing so forgive if I'm wrong here you'll have little ships before you know it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Ditto
    I am with you on that one - the change of scale totally killed it for me. I love the idea of gaming Nap Naval, but will be sticking with 1/1200 now.

West Wind have a range of Napoleonic ships but not sure of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    West Wind have a range of Napoleonic ships but not sure of the scale.
    Nooo Mark! Just stay with the WoW/G stuff dude.

That should sway a few of the doubters John.
    Better than the press gang anyday.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Oh, very nice!

OK, where's this pic from?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    SUHWEET!
    <- pondering those ships with the sails painted with black spots over the white... :)

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast