Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
461. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

249 54.01%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

132 28.63%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

80 17.35%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

What the h#$* whats another game. Since I've read the Hornblower series a couple of times and have the movies. I tried to join the anchorage notice I said I tried.

Depends on the models, and whether I can afford yet another collection ........ oh who am I kidding, of course I will get them if they look good!

Have you looked at our sister site??

http://sailsofglory.org

Default Bring on the Dreadnaughts

I might buy the first. But that period just doesn't turn me on like a WW1 naval game would. Bring on the Dreadnaughts.

Quote Originally Posted by billingspike View Post
    I might buy the first. But that period just doesn't turn me on like a WW1 naval game would. Bring on the Dreadnaughts. :please:
    Even better: Combine the two, so we can see what happens if the German augmented their smaller-but-better-protected fleet with a few squadrons of torpedo-bombers.

Just don't make a WW1 Infantry Game -- "_Holes of Glory_".... >;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Even better: Combine the two, so we can see what happens if the German augmented their smaller-but-better-protected fleet with a few squadrons of torpedo-bombers.

Just don't make a WW1 Infantry Game -- "_Holes of Glory_".... >
    Ha! That's hysterical!!

But that period just doesn't turn me on like a WW1 naval game would. Bring on the Dreadnaughts.
    a long wait I'm afraid. Andrea has already said the system isn't suited to the period and has no plans for any "modern" versions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    a long wait I'm afraid. Andrea has already said the system isn't suited to the period and has no plans for any "modern" versions.
    Esp. with the special rules for British battlecruisers: "The first non-zero damage card this unit takes destroys it." :)

(That said: It couldn't possibly be any worse than _Nine Navies War_, a game where the first turn of combat requires rolling over *400* d6 between the two sides....)

(That said: It couldn't possibly be any worse than _Nine Navies War_, a game where the first turn of combat requires rolling over *400* d6 between the two sides....)
    Can't say I've heard of it, but with that amount of dice it must be from the GW Warhammer 'stable'.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Can't say I've heard of it, but with that amount of dice it must be from the GW Warhammer 'stable'.
    Nope -- http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2...ine-navies-war .

Apparently, this particular game designer has an obsession with die-rolling -- his combat system are "Yahtzee", and there's half-a-dozen Random Events to check for in a given turn.

Yes, its "Victory in the Pacific" on steroids. VitP is an awesome game though. Where else can you play out the whole of WW2 in the Pacific in 3 hours? Definitely one of my favourite Avalon Hill games - and one of the few that my wife deigned to play back in the day, along with War at Sea and Flight Leader

I'm up for all things age of sail! This is going to be great. I actually just finished a game of Flying Colors with a buddy of mine before checking the site before bed. Great stuff and I love the prototypes. I was actually tossing around a concept for this for the past few years so I'm grateful not to have to try to make it happen. I love it when the work is done for me with games! Great job.

have always loved sailing ships,will most likely try it

I voted "maybe" I'll wait and see what the line looks like.

But Herr Oberst, I have to ask...What does "Yea Yea Captian!" mean? I think you meant Aye Aye Captain!

Do we get to call Sails of Glory players SoGgys?

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    Can you run really fast ?

Only if ye really want me rum bottle busted over yer noggin an' me peg leg where the sun don' shine, matey... YARRR!

LOL :P

I had a slightly more refined idea than that gentlemen. It involved his casket of jewels and an ittinerant Rabbi.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well, wasn't the Royal Navy's unofficial motto "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash...?"

For the record, put me down for "Rum".

For the record, put me down for "Rum".
    I think that the other two often came as a result of the Rum Brian.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJamison View Post
    Well, wasn't the Royal Navy's unofficial motto "Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash...?"
    No -- it was "It's an American Frigate! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! KEEP RUNNING!"

>;)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I think that the other two often came as a result of the Rum Brian.
    Kyte.
    According to The Articles of War they hung you for the second!

I'm definately in for Sails of Glory. Being an avid gamer and a fan of miniatures and WoW/WoG. I'll buy it. Now if I can just find some other players......

No -- it was "It's an American Frigate! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! KEEP RUNNING!"

>
    Hey watch your lip young Chris. I don't want to start bringing up the White House again, or you may mention Yorktown, and we all know where that leads.
    Rob.

If anyone knows who was Cosme Damián Churruca, knows I will play Trafalgar... In fact, Churruca is my wife's ancestor!

is there any inside information about the rules? I'm specially curious about how will they handle wing direction helping or preventing maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    If anyone knows who was Cosme Damián Churruca, knows I will play Trafalgar... In fact, Churruca is my wife's ancestor!
    Cosme Damián de Churruca y Elorza (born in Mutriku, 27 September 1761; died at the Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805) was a Basque Spanish noble, an Admiral of the Royal Spanish Armada, a scientist and Major of Mutriku, who died at the Battle of Trafalgar while commanding the ship of the line San Juan Nepomuceno.
    He received his early years education in the Seminary of Burgos. Then, he entered the School of Bergara.
    Once he finished his studies, he joined the Naval Academy of Cadiz in 1776, and got his degree in the Naval Academy of Ferrol in 1778, becoming a naval officer.
    In 1781, Cosme Damián de Churruca, as an officer of the Spanish Navy, performed heroically in a siege of Gibraltar.

Churruca's Death, oil on canvas by Eugenio Álvarez Dumont, Prado Museum

In 1805, a few months before his death, Churruca married María Dolores Ruiz de Apodaca, niece of Juan Ruiz de Apodaca, in 1797. Dońa María was only 19 when Churruca died.
    He commanded the 74-gun San Juan Nepomuceno in the Battle of Trafalgar, when a cannon ball caused him injuries that cost him his life. It seems that he made true the words he said before the battle:

"Si llegas a saber que mi navío ha sido hecho prisionero, di que he muerto."
    [If you come to hear that my ship has been captured, you can assume I am dead]

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 03-01-2012 at 00:57.

Wow! I see somebody knows who was Churruca.
    Really a brilliant man under terrible government, as many times in Spain history.

Also see http://twogreens.co.uk/navy/PEOPLE/CHURR/CHURR.htm

Thank you very much! Amazing article, is shaming watching a hero most remembered abroad than in his own homeland.

Really a brilliant man under terrible government, as many times in Spain history.
    It has ever been my opinion: If Churruca had been in charge of the Spanish contingent of the CF, and Lucas in charge of the French, the British very likely still would have won Trafalgar, but it would have been *MUCH* more expensive....

It has ever been my opinion: If Churruca had been in charge of the Spanish contingent of the CF, and Lucas in charge of the French, the British very likely still would have won Trafalgar, but it would have been *MUCH* more expensive....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-Cosme_de_Churruca.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	35176

Here is another likeness of him.
    I think we should move this to SoG for the interest of all parties concerned.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Here is another likeness of him.
    I think we should move this to SoG for the interest of all parties concerned.
    Rob.
    I think that's the most know Churruca portrait. It's funny for me as one of my wife's cousin resembles slightly to him
    Is there a thread about SoG? I will search...

I think that's the most know Churruca portrait. It's funny for me as one of my wife's cousin resembles slightly to him
    Is there a thread about SoG? I will search...
    Go here Vik. I think you will like it.
    Rob.

http://sailsofglory.org/

Thank you very much, Rob!

My pleasure Vik. See you over there then. Can you guess which member I am?
    Rob.

Thanks again, I could recognize you, as you can see

Gees Rob, you pressganging here again?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Gees Rob, you pressganging here again?
    Karl
    Narr Karl. That's Kyte's ancestor Bligh who is doing that.
    Rob.

Maybe I need to get over there myself; no telling what's going on with your "ancestor"
    (my ship better still be in port when I get there too )
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Death the kid

looking forward to this coming out and hopfuly we may see some rules for going pirate

IBERIAN SHADOW

Me 2

1/900, 1/1200, 1/2400. I have them all. I also have about thirty different rules sets. I didn't give WOW a chance right away. That was a mistake. I fell in love with it instantly after I played. I would love to see what thier take on sail actions would be. Do we know if it would be compatible to do great lakes stuff for 1812? Ships of the Line are great but the actions on Erie and Champlain (even the Rev War stuff) are just plain nasty!!!!!!

There has not been anything new about the game in a while. The "Ahoy Mates" section in the forums of the Sails of Glory Anchorage site has what news there is about the game.

Keep this thread updated with news about SOG. I'm interested in the game, but don't bother visiting the other site.

Captainhui

It will be great if WOG and SOG can play together. Like sinking the Bismarck or YAMATO. Will be much fun!

Green Goblin's Avatar Mess Hall Attendant
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

I've just bought the Republic of France's Dystopian fleet but as my son is dead keen and I loved the film version of Master and Commander having read most of Patrick O'Brian's books charting the adventures of Aubrey and Maturin I expect I'll be giving it a go before too long.
    Is the sun over the yardarm yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhui View Post
    It will be great if WOG and SOG can play together. Like sinking the Bismarck or YAMATO. Will be much fun!
    That would be great.

Thomas

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast