Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
461. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

249 54.01%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

132 28.63%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

80 17.35%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

Our club is more into age of sail than any other period, so I'm in, and half a dozen others as well.

I'm not sure about the models. Depends on scale (we have 1:1200 and 1:3000) and quality. Have to see, but we also might regret the absence of "cards only" sets.
    Last edited by Niek_vD; 10-02-2011 at 04:52. Reason: added second remark

sorry did not read everything here so my question may already be answered. shen is this coming out and is there a site or place I can go to look at this? I LOVE the sailing ships!!! I builf the waterloo minis, have many ship-of-the-line models build. so I'd put this up ther with WoW
    bob

soory about my spelling in my last post!!

QUOTE]...and this time, I'll send Nelson down the bay of Abukir[/QUOTE]

I think not, old chap

This is gonna depend a lot on the rule set. Wings of Glory doesn't really need terrain rules, and we can forgive the absence of "Hun in the Sun" advantage because it would be difficult to implement, but if this new game doesn't have at least a decent set of rules for windage, and some guidelines for terrain, like sandbars, they'll just be pretty ships.

I'm voting maybe; wouldn't mind looking at the system, but hobby money has gotten tight. I understand the business reasoning for minis only, but would have liked the option of a card set to try.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

No Todd! The rules won't make any difference. The outcome will still be this.
    Remember what Bismark said. "Rule Britania. Britania waves the rules".
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Indeed! Up Spirits! Splice the mainbrace!!!

I'll drink to that me hearties.
    Kyte.

Dreadful Engländers - sunk my flagship...

The explosion of L'Orient during the Battle of the Nile.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Has Keith offered to be the Grand Admiral for a forum yet?!
    I've laid the ground work to start a site for it. Don't expect any thing before the end of the year though. We move into the new house in two weeks, so lots of stuff to do before and after that. Then it's all the holidays over here.

Best of luck with the house move. Never easy, especially with model collections to shift!

Interested. As someone else said, depends heavily on cost, scale and if windage/weather is incorporated. I don't see myself being immersed (not literally :P) in a age of sail game where wind has no bearing...

Dave

Sounds like a blast (pun intended). I really like the wings game mechanics so the translation looks fun! SAIL HO!where away?

I know I would get a good look at the game.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I voted 'Maybe'. I am heavily into WoW/WoG and I have a huge Dystopian fleet (Prussian Empire). I will take a gander at a starter set and make a final decision. I do not have the desire nor inclination to be in every game that comes along. For example, I enjoyed playing Dust Tactics and I have done well in it at Vul-Con! I'll fill in to play, if someone shares, like I share my planes with other WoW players/newbies, their 'troops' with me, but I have no desire to purchase the stuff for that. Besides, these games cut into my firearms, shooting, hunting, and ammo reloading budget - my primary 'hobby'!

How could I resist, I still regret selling on my WS&IM set...

Not to be flippant but problems are what you make of them, if the lack of cards is going to put you off then you probably aren't that bothered anyway. Let's face it it's a lot easier to knock out a few home grown cards than the minis...and I've no doubt that the fan base will have this covered if there's a requirement. Let's not create problems based on pure speculation!!

cheers me hearties!

Dave.

I'm in....now to find time to play

No not for me .

Not to be flippant but problems are what you make of them, if the lack of cards is going to put you off then you probably aren't that bothered anyway. Let's face it it's a lot easier to knock out a few home grown cards than the minis...and I've no doubt that the fan base will have this covered if there's a requirement. Let's not create problems based on pure speculation!!
    On the contrary, I am bothered. I want to be able to support this game, but I'd like to be able to do it using official products where possible. If all I have to do is (for example) download some manoeuvre decks and print them out then fine I guess, but I'd much rather be able to obtain official product to be able to do so. I don't see this and other postings necessarily raising "problems" or "idle speculation", more a case of making Ares aware of some issues and areas that they may wish to consider when looking at the strategy for this game. Consider this as soem market research well in advance of the final product being decided. I'm hoping that Ares and Andrea are reading posts like this and using them to gauge the mood, pick up ideas that maybe they hadn't thought of before, etc. iof they do and reject them then fine, but having been in simialr situations with other products over the years I would quite liked to have been able to release an inkling of "the plan" a year ahead of launch and got a bundle of feedback prior to the event.

For the record I am fully behind the "miniatures only" approach, on aesthetics more than anything - I don't as a rule play WoW with anything other than miniatures. But an approach that drove gamers to solely use Ares prepaints would not get a from my perspective, any more than (for example) being driven to play Flames of War only with Battlefront figures and vehicles, or AK-47 only with figures from Peter Pig.

There goes all my lunch money... Anchors away lads!

Nexus pushed us into printing our own movement cards and damage cards because these items were not sold separately when we needed extra copies.
    Instead, Nexus required us to purchase booster packs at ~$10 to get movement cards.
    There is no good way to purchase additional damage cards.
    Hopefully, Ares will make it possible to purchase individual components of the game when we need them.

Battleground by Easy Eights was ruined when they brought out the ugly 30 mm miniatures and did not allow use of 25 mm or 15 mm figures in tournaments sponsored by Easy Eights.

It appears that Easy Eights chose 30 mm figures so that gamers (such as myself) who had large collections of 25 mm WWII figures would be required to buy new figures.
    The marketing strategy was flawed.
    Easy Eights may have never recovered the costs of producing the ugly 30 mm figures.
    Last edited by Zakopious; 10-03-2011 at 10:37.

I really look forward to it - I want to try something different from WWI and II and I like Aubrey & Maturin novels really much. I wonder what Andrea creates for us

I am a maybe, I really like the idea, but not sure I would have the extra cash. (Especialy after Ares starts releasing models.)

Sounds like fun to me! I would definitely play it

Oh yes, if it includes pre-painted ships, I will be there, even though I have very little interest in Nelson's navy.

I said yeah only if the models are as good as the Wings of War models.

Tom

Thanks a lot to everybody for your interest in this new game.

An interview to us authors has been published here:

http://gioconomicon.net/modules.php?...le&sid=6008#ev

(there the translation into English, scroll up for the Italian version).

A Yahoo discussion group as the one dedicated to WoW/WG has been opened a few hours ago there:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SailsofGlory/

Have fun!

Andrea

Thanks for the heads up Andrea. I've posted the interview here as well for the members.

Must sell more blood.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post

For the record I am fully behind the "miniatures only" approach, on aesthetics more than anything - I don't as a rule play WoW with anything other than miniatures. But an approach that drove gamers to solely use Ares prepaints would not get a from my perspective, any more than (for example) being driven to play Flames of War only with Battlefront figures and vehicles, or AK-47 only with figures from Peter Pig.
    I love playing with minis, so without a doubt I'm behind you in many ways. My pitch to Ares would be to produce a starter set that was affordable and sufficiently useful.

So taking DoW as an example, I'm happy paying Ł25 for the base set - it allows me to try the game and provides sufficient components to play a few sensible scenarios - say 4 player BoB. I'm not so happy about paying out Ł50 for the deluxe set, minis and all, that gives me a real mixed bag and historically only provides a 2 player game (baring in mind that 2 player is struggle and doesn't show the game at it's finest). DoW is a great game, I was hooked and had no problem upgrading to the minis.

Taking up your other point the scale chosen for DoW, whilst not excluive to DoW, is damned tricky to source from elsewhere so I'm sure they tried it on. I'm a fan of the free market, if Ares have a good balance between cost and quality then they will get my money (assuming they have the range), if not....

I'm looking forward to this, it's spooky because I dusted off some rules I bought (Action Under Sail) and wondered about getting some ships....

We've had word that the starter set for Sails of Glory will contain 4 miniatures and the rules/materials needed to play. Know word on which minis they will be just yet.

If I can buy a Prussian navy or an Austrian/Hapsburg navy I'm in. Of course hope the RN, USN, MN and Spanish Armarda are in there.

Napoleonic era is just the first ships. I'd love to see ironclads use the wings of glory system.

Didnt lord Nelson have a patch over one eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Didnt lord Nelson have a patch over one eye?
    No Mike! He was blinded in one eye at Calvi, but never wore a patch over it.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Napoleonic era is just the first ships. I'd love to see ironclads use the wings of glory system.
    No doubt we can look forward to several threads along the line of whether HMS Victory can do an Immelmann
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Paul Cox

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    No Mike! He was blinded in one eye at Calvi, but never wore a patch over it.
    Rob.
    He did, however, have green cloth eyeshades fitted to some of his hats, to protect his good eye from the sun, and these may have given rise to the patch confusion.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    No doubt we can look forward to several threads along the line of whether HMS Victory can do an Immelmann
    Well of course not. Only the Germans are allowed that when they get drunk. British ships are already drunk, so they won't try. French ships just don't have the proper incentive to try it. On the other hand, Spanish ships in the Caribbean are allowed that maneuver when in hurricane conditions. But as Al Stewart points out, they don't come back from an Immelmann turn. Well, eventually some of them come back in bits and pieces, as modern treasure hunters find them. Perhaps we could create a scenario where these ships try the thatch weave, or barrel rolls, wouldn't that be pleasing to the eye

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Well of course not. Only the Germans are allowed that when they get drunk. British ships are already drunk, so they won't try. French ships just don't have the proper incentive to try it. On the other hand, Spanish ships in the Caribbean are allowed that maneuver when in hurricane conditions. But as Al Stewart points out, they don't come back from an Immelmann turn. Well, eventually some of them come back in bits and pieces, as modern treasure hunters find them. Perhaps we could create a scenario where these ships try the thatch weave, or barrel rolls, wouldn't that be pleasing to the eye
    Presumably the seagoing equivalent discussion is going to be about tacking and wearing. Which raises a question: how will they incorporate wind direction in the rules? For some reason I voted 'no' in the poll, but I can probably see myself buying a set to see how they play. Hey-Ho, time to dust off my Langton ships.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Which raises a question: how will they incorporate wind direction in the rules?
    Think, they can handle this with fast and slow maneuvers.

For example, you have to determine the wind direction at the beginning of the battle.

But there are other questions, like entering maneuvers, or loosing speed and firepower after taking a lot of hits.

Sirs, the playtesting started in the previous decade. We spent quite a lot of time to work to keep the game simple but to take into account wind, sails, fatigue, crew losses, structural damage, special damages, different ammunitions, decreasing firepower and much more. Something in the basic ruleset, something with optional/advanced rues already in the starting box as in WoW/WG. Please be patient if I can not tell you more at the moment. In the meantime, it is very interesting to follow your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Sirs, the playtesting started in the previous decade. We spent quite a lot of time to work to keep the game simple but to take into account wind, sails, fatigue, crew losses, structural damage, special damages, different ammunitions, decreasing firepower and much more. Something in the basic ruleset, something with optional/advanced rues already in the starting box as in WoW/WG. Please be patient if I can not tell you more at the moment. In the meantime, it is very interesting to follow your comments.
    OK....I'm even more interested now! It sounds like they are on top of it!

Sounds really good Angiolillo, I am pretty keen
    Thanks for telling us what you can

Dave

I just wonder how the designers are going to get around the fact that, except for a brief period around the American Revolution (thank god :) ), Britain had the only effective deep-water navy on the planet -- the rest were poorly-led and/or poorly-equipped. In fact, the last halfway-decent opponent the Royal Navy faced was back in the 1600s, during the Anglo-Dutch Wars.

Yes! Thanks for that Andrea, It has wet my appitite even more.
    Rob, alias Hornblower.

hmmmm...Sails of Glory Seaport, Harbor, Anchorage?

new site opportunity Colonel?

I also voted 'maybe'.

I want to read the rules, and then get a look at the product. I am intrigued in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I just wonder how the designers are going to get around the fact that, except for a brief period around the American Revolution (thank god ), Britain had the only effective deep-water navy on the planet -- the rest were poorly-led and/or poorly-equipped. In fact, the last halfway-decent opponent the Royal Navy faced was back in the 1600s, during the Anglo-Dutch Wars.
    No problem, England ruled the seas true, but that was strategic, they lost battles aplenty on ship on ship combats and merchant losses. Lots of scenarios that do not involve whole english fleets... I do wonder how they will do the scenario of the cavalry taking the frigates...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast