Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
461. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

249 54.01%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

132 28.63%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

80 17.35%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

A really great looking ship there Lloyd.
    I'm hanging fire until I see what the Ares ships are really like, but can see myself following your lead over building my own ships.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Yup, I'm of the same mind. I'm waiting until I see an ARES model, if I think it'll work I'll buy one detail a little with the paint brush and to rig. I look at it like this:

Age of Sail is just one of my many wargames interests, I've have years and years to buy GHQ or Langton kits to build but I never have. So if I can get an easy leg up the ratlines I think I've got to try that option first. Although I love the look of the bigger ships I have to admit that of all the games I've played (hundreds of WS&IM) it's the faster fluid actions with the smaller ships that appeal the most to me, so it's not like I'm going to need many…

Having seen all the counters in use I can't see this as a game for large scale actions.
    If you have more than a handful of ships you will need another table for all the ship cards and counters.
    Will wait and see, I certainly will not be spending hundreds of pounds on SoG like I have on WoG.
    Don

What I don't understand is, we show 188 yea's & 91 maybe's, but the Anchorage has only 110 members. And the kickstarter has only 52 hours left.
    If you want to support it, now is the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    What I don't understand is, we show 188 yea's & 91 maybe's, but the Anchorage has only 110 members. And the kickstarter has only 52 hours left.
    If you want to support it, now is the time.
    Bear in mind, Ed, that this poll was started a year and a half ago; there are probably many members who voted who have wandered away, or changed their minds. I voted maybe, and am a Captain-level on the Kickstarter. Things change.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Bear in mind, Ed, that this poll was started a year and a half ago; there are probably many members who voted who have wandered away, or changed their minds. I voted maybe, and am a Captain-level on the Kickstarter. Things change.
    Karl
    Point well taken Karl. I'm also in at the commodore-level.
    But if anyone on this site wants to save a little money on ships, there's only 51 hours left.

I voted yes, but the Kickstarer conditions are very disapointing, Ed. The minimum amount I should spend to get a copy is 120 USD (early bird) or more. 50 USD to ship outside US is just killing. I can not believe the starter will be that pricey in my country, so I will rather wait for local retailers' move...

I agree that non US purchasers are getting the short end of the stick. But Ares did cut the shipping charges down for Europe. And I wonder what the final cost will be from your retailers.

I voted Yes like Andrzej but the punitive postage cost for non US citizens put me of from joining in Kickstarter.
    I am hoping that the price in the shops when it finally arrives will be reasonable, if not, well I just will not buy into the game.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    I voted yes, but the Kickstarer conditions are very disapointing, Ed. The minimum amount I should spend to get a copy is 120 USD (early bird) or more. 50 USD to ship outside US is just killing. I can not believe the starter will be that pricey in my country, so I will rather wait for local retailers' move...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    I agree that non US purchasers are getting the short end of the stick. But Ares did cut the shipping charges down for Europe. And I wonder what the final cost will be from your retailers.
    Being owner of the miniature you sent me, Ed, I will not resist buying the starter set Knowing the local market quite well, I can not imagine a starter box price set higher than 70-80 USD with free inland shipping. WGS starter is available for 60 bucks e.g.

I didn't back it when I figured the ship packs will run $15-$20 a ship. Too much money for what I've seen in the prototype model pics.

I would have considered it if the prices were more in line with WOG plane packs.

Too bad but there is only so much time to play and I've invested heavily in WWI planes.

I'm keen on seeing it first, too. I have a strong interest. I would actually be most interested in small scale actions, personally, than huge fleets. So, if its not too expensive, and plays as easily as WoG, I'd definitely be in.

Anyone else think that the bases on the new Sails of Glory miniatures look oddly weird? I am not sure I can visually cope with them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sails.jpg  

I noticed that before. They rather draw me away from the game.

I think I would rather use the 50+ hallmark ships I have and create my own bases for them from buying the rule box. I have sinking ships and rowing boats and all manner of ships from 30 gun to the Santisima Trinidad at 130 guns. But I like the rules if they are as fast and easy as WoG..

I also was keen at first but now I am not so sure, I will get the starter set for my so-in-law and play a few games with him. For me it all depends on the rules, as stated already in this post if the rules are as simple as WoG then I am in, if not then I will not take it up

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Hmm, twenty some years developing my own sailing ship game, no, I think another one is not in the 'cards'.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	89847
    And then there is WWII

Name:	Germans.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	89848

And here is my avatar for ships:

Name:	Suffren.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	89849

Ken, Sorry about the delay in answering. I missed your question when you first asked it. I'm assuming you're asking about the rigging? It's actually fine thread. It's been coated with white glue and hung so it dries straight. Then I cut it and glue it in place. Honestly, this is a technique I shamelessly stole from Jeff Knudsen. He runs the War Artisan's Workshop and sells 1/300 scale paper sailing ships from the battles on the Great Lakes. Recently he started a range of 1/900 paper sailing ships for larger AWI/Nap age of sail battles. The ships are a challenge to build, but are great fun none the less. War Artisan's Workshop website is: http://warartisan.com/home.

Hope you're special project works out!

Fantastic job Lloyd - is that sprue \ plastic rod you are using?

Particularly like the strakes - that's a steady hand you have there. In fact I'm suitably inspired that I'm going to head off to the Langton site and look for something to work on as a special project

Cheers[/QUOTE]

There are some clips on explaining and playing the game on the Ares Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory

still can't get over the size of those bases. They remind me of those strange Games Workshop bases for "storm of Magic". AND apparently the full retail price in the Land of OZ is $130!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW? I don't think so!

130$ for a starter with 4 ships is not a super wise marketing move, I' affraid.

Played a two ship engagement at Enfilade this last weekend. The ships are nice as they are prepainted . The bases show the firing angles as well as the movement allowance based on wind direction. Each movement card has multiple "tracks" these are based on wind direction. Damage is assessed similar to WOG drawing chits (similar in size to WOW damage tokens). Damage is tracked on your game board. As you loose ability through gunnery or musketry your firepower is reduced. My ship did not sink it simply ran out of crew to man it. Of course a good captain would have turned tail before that. I think that other scale warships could be used as long as they were smaller than the base.
    Tony

I do believe there are a few Sails of Glory events at Origins this year.

Warhorse30

Thats cool! (wiping the drool......)

First of all welcome to the Drome Mike.
    I agree with you totally Clipper does produce models to drool over, and often these are in epic size or numbers. Do have a look at his other work.
    Rob.

Clipper has a switch broken somewhere in his logic path - the one that says "is it viable Y\N" and an extra line in there which says "if No build 2"

Breathtaking as always, I tried to work in an Argus pun but that would be too much Audacity

I'll try the base game and then decide to take the plunge or not.

Probably yes, i guess lady Anta will be angry but one gets used to it

I'll play but will not be collecting. I have alot of WW1 aircraft and almost one of every 1/600 ACW ships in production. There are plenty more Jastas, Flicks, and squadrons I want to build/collect.

So, it appears the game release is pushed back again. Ares has update its "Upcoming" page and SOG now shows for September. On a happy side note, the WGS new fast planes haven't been bumped back yet, "yet" being the key word there......

That's cool. It gives me more time to buy extra rum.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Can I bring my own ships?

ĄWooowww!
    I'm really amazed! They're absolutely cool!

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    On a happy side note, the WGS new fast planes haven't been bumped back yet, "yet" being the key word there......
    They were on sale at GenCon last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    They were on sale at GenCon last week.
    I saw that! That bodes really well for us, I can't tell you how excited I am for their release! Thanks for the hard work and dedication! It makes the planes/ships well worth the wait, even when it requires additional time than originally anticipated.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mike, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

I like those aircraft carriers too.

Just starting to sort out my hallmark ships...been in the loft too long! They're all battered and will take some putting together and re-basing.

I'm interested but a lot will depend on solo adaption, I don't want a game that sits around waiting for another player to turn up. That's where Wings scores high marks with me and this site has revitalised my tabletop gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Just starting to sort out my hallmark ships...been in the loft too long! They're all battered and will take some putting together and re-basing.
    It will be interesting to see if they can come up with some good solo scenarios.

As the 'ship cards' are much more complicated than the 'plane cards', it will be harder to use unofficial models.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    As the 'ship cards' are much more complicated than the 'plane cards', it will be harder to use unofficial models.
    That's why you want to buy 50mm x 75mm clear plastic bases to fit over the SoG bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Actually no. I did all my playtesting with 1/1200 models and templates that were held over or alongside the models. It worked fine.

Once the elves get a boat they will no doubt get with the program. I myself am a bit concerned with them talking about the "altitude rules" in quiet tones and wicked giggling around the water cooler. It gives me a sinking feeling. What do elves know about altitude anyway? We will wait and see. Their WWII team is requesting a bigger popcorn budget . . .

That can only mean submarines and torpedoes...

"Hey Vladdy! How're your hemorrhoids?"
    --Quinton McHale the Younger (Tom Arnold), McHale's Navy

Deleted. Someone thought she was cute.
    Last edited by Ed2; 09-07-2013 at 02:15.

Hmm, Fulton's Nautilus would make an interesting model and set of special rules.

Mind you, submerged submarines are easy to model and don't take up much space

Your right Andy, I'm going back to playing with my Navwar 1/1200scale ships and Action Under Sail rules published by tabletop games in the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Your right Andy, I'm going back to playing with my Navwar 1/1200scale ships and Action Under Sail rules published by tabletop games in the 80's
    I am certainly not as sold on the idea as I was when it was first mooted. $130 buys a lot of planes.
    I will have to consider the situation very carefully before I commit to buying in.
    Rob.

Hey Rob Are Tabletop Games still around? Used to be at 53 Mansfield Road Daybrook, your neck of the Forest so to speak.

$90 for a starter set, not $130, and $65 from Aerodrome Accessories for pre-order.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast