Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you plan to play Sails of Glory?

Voters
461. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea Yea Captian! (Yes)

249 54.01%
  • Maybe, ships are kind of cool. (Maybe)

132 28.63%
  • That's mutiny I say! (No)

80 17.35%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?

A great way of monopolising the market by using a unique scale so you have to use the official product... and of losing (at least to the miniatures element of the game) players who already have collections in the more common (ie, popular) scales of 1/1200 or 1/2400!
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-04-2013 at 14:49.

It will be interesting as to how the disparities in crew training and ship condition, gunnery expertise and sailing expertise will be handled. Not forgetting command qualities, weather et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    It will be interesting as to how the disparities in crew training and ship condition, gunnery expertise and sailing expertise will be handled. Not forgetting command qualities, weather et al.
    Considering there are a whole bunch of WoG players who don't use the element which makes air combat unique (ie, altitude), I wonder how much 'realism' many will want, or bother with, in SoG?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Considering there are a whole bunch of WoG players who don't use the element which makes air combat unique (ie, altitude), I wonder how much 'realism' many will want, or bother with, in SoG?
    Agreed whole heartedly

A great way of monopolising the market by using a unique scale so you have to use the official product... and of losing (at least to the miniatures element of the game) players who already have collections in the more common (ie, popular) scales of 1/1200 or 1/2400!
    Regardless of how many times different people say this, it does not make it true. Ares has already stated that the change is scale size was for better quality, not to force you to buy their miniatures. You will already have to buy their minis to get the log book, maneuver deck and base. While I'm sure some enterprising individual will make bases and Advanced Log Books ( ), the decks are going to be hard to come by since the game will never be released as a card only game. Fan made decks may pop up, but if WGS is any indication, they may not.

If Ares was set on using unique scales to ensure you bought their products, WGF would not be in 1/144... a very popular and common scale.

I think this might be different in SoG. Many Wings players leave out altitude for two main reasons. First, it slows the action in the game down as well as increase the time it takes to play a game. So, you end up with longer, less exciting games (talking dogfights here which is what the average player plays 90% of the time). The other drawback to using altitude is that the rules are not as clearly written or thought out as the rest of the game. They were in fact, an add on after the game was already years old. As such, they feel clunky.

With SoG, everything has been designed into the rules from the start. Hopefully, and I should know in a couple of weeks, this has made for a seamless integration of the advanced and optional rules. I also think that the naval wargame target audience is more in to realism then the aerial crowed. Let's face it, lots of young boys run around the house pretending to be plane flying through the air, not many "sail" around the house in a 74 gun ship of the line. A totally different mind set of players.

I agree that a lot of Wings players are going to buy into Sails because it uses similar game mechanics and they will most likely play the basic or standard rules. The true naval fans out there will use the advanced rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Regardless of how many times different people say this, it does not make it true.
    Well, posts 448, 450, 451 and 454 suggest it is for at least 4 of us.

Good luck to Ares with their new venture; I hope it makes the overall outlook for the company, and thereby future product releases, buoyant.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-05-2013 at 02:39.

I'm not saying you guys are not disappointed in the scale change or that it may affect your decision as to buy it or not, I'm saying that Ares did not change the scale just screw possible players with existing fleets over.

I suspect you are right here Balders, but for those who do it is nice to have the option.
    Rob.

I'm not saying you guys are not disappointed in the scale change or that it may affect your decision as to buy it or not, I'm saying that Ares did not change the scale just screw possible players with existing fleets over.
    It's Ares' product, and their marketing strategy: they can do with it what they like. I just hope it is a commercial success for them.

It's Ares' product, and their marketing strategy: they can do with it what they like. I just hope it is a commercial success for them.
    $7k in two hours... I think it is going to be a success for them.

Got to admit I am having second thoughts as to whether I get the game or not, as most of my games money is taken up by WoG and SAGA (28mm Dark Ages skirmish) (which I have just gotten into over the last year). However my Son-in-law is very much looking forward to SoG so I will probably just get the starter set.

It all depends on how far my dollars can stretch

I for one will be getting at least the starter set,yeah right

From "not yet live" when I went to sleep, to "Early Bird Captain sold out" when I wake up. Nice...
    Anyone know if the HMS Victory and USS Constitution will re-use an existing mold, or be new ones?

I can double check, but from my talks with them, I got the impression that they would be new molds... but other ships might use those same molds at some point.

Oh, and it's 100% funded in less then 9 hours!

FWIW anyone still looking to get in, it looks like Early Bird Mate + Marine saves you $5 over Lieutenant, if that is what you were looking at.

I can double check, but from my talks with them, I got the impression that they would be new molds... but other ships might use those same molds at some point.

Oh, and it's 100% funded in less then 9 hours!
    Crazy.

I would be all over this kickstarter because it's a cool idea... BUT... since Zombicide Season 2 came first... I'm in that one. I can't afford more than one a year...

I saw that info on the ARES site this morning when I checked it out and now see how much the KICKSTARTED added in just a few hours.

$23K and we get Old Ironsides... I'm tapped out other than $20 at a time, but we can do this, guys!

You better get a paper route DB! lol

I hope so, it's at the top of the KS page

Disappointed with the postage out to the antipodes; $50+. Makes for a sad wannabe sailor

RoV

Just saw the new stretch goal... very nice.

I'm in. I'm excited at the prospect of getting more friends involved in gaming. So far, WGF has been hugely successful with my wife and friends - most of whom are not gamers. SoG will add another port of entry as well as expansion for them and others I know.

I know some are concerned about realism, etc., and I respect, highly respect, their concerns. I have other outlets for that (e.g. Flying Colors, Close Action), so I look upon SoG simply as a whole lot of fun socially. Besides, I am always in the mood for more minis.

Game for fun and have a fun game. I'm in for the ready made ships, if the game plays fun and my kids can join in, well that's a bonus.

When I started gaming last century I had plenty of time, but not enough money. Now I have enough money, but so little time. The WoG planes allow me to game straight away. The SoG ships will do the same. I can get soem friends round and we can get a game going almost immediately and finish it with the evening. Add some snacks and some drinks ... it's a win-win for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat of Vengence View Post
    Disappointed with the postage out to the antipodes; $50+. Makes for a sad wannabe sailor

RoV
    Unfortunately, they are estimating the Stater set to weight around 7 pounds, or just over 3 kilograms... so it's very heavy. International shipping is going to be high no mater who sends it. In fact, my rate for just the Starter Set to Aussie will be around $65... so the KS price of $50 is actually pretty good (well, not if you are the one having to pay it ) I'm sure that the retail price locally is going to reflect this to some degree as well. Even bulk shipped to distributors, the weight and size is still and issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Well, there is nothing wrong with the scale of 1/1000 in itself. But when you have many players with current collections of 1/1200 and 1/2400 scale ships. You lose a lot of the interest. I suspect this will be one of the games they release the rules in pdf, because they want you to buy their scale ships. Personally I can barely tolerate the 1/1200 scale as it tends to force me to smaller scenarios, a squadron on each side at the most. Major sea battles are right out. I gave up on the idea of games on the floor after a year or so after Jutland came out. So large scale mini's indicate that this game will not be one of my purchases.
    Maybe it's time to recruit new naval warfare gamers like me.

It's the card driven system that makes SOG and Napoleonic sea wars interesting for me.

...and remember the big 1/144 WW II community here. They have their fun, too, even if the WGS is 1/200.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

It's the card driven system that makes SOG and Napoleonic sea wars interesting for me.

...and remember the big 1/144 WW II community here. They have their fun, too, even if the WGS is 1/200.
    Good point. I got into WoG despite the fact that I've got a sizeable collection of 1/285-1/300 aircraft.

And, the 1/1000 won't render all fleets obsolete... I'm pretty happy that there won't be all that much difference between these and my 1/900 ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

So does that make us Deck-hands? >:)

Ahoy Mates! If you havent done so already go join the Sails of Glory Forum. Oberst has it all set up and running.

I can't wait til the release now!

Scales of 1/1200 or 1/2400 I think that you could use these scales, and the given cards together. Most of these ships in these scales are based on rectangular bases as were my own. All you need then to do is either, a) copy more cards! b) reduce them to a scale suitable for your own ships using your comp sizing abilities, or c) stick with the given cards and use them in conjuction with your own ships, so long as your opponent does the same!

Was going to but not so sure now those bases look a bit clunky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Picky lol.....

Well, looks like I'm playing; I committed to the Kickstarter.
    I got a friend in Cleveland who wants to play bad, so I can always find an opponent.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    There has been some discussion on the bases. They are actually only 1mm thicker then our Wings of Glory bases (the ships card fits into the top of the base). The edges are not sloped like the Wings bases, but that makes them easier to grab. Also, the production bases will be blue in color, helping to blend them into the table top sea.

There has been some discussion on the bases. They are actually only 1mm thicker then our Wings of Glory bases (the ships card fits into the top of the base). The edges are not sloped like the Wings bases, but that makes them easier to grab. Also, the production bases will be blue in color, helping to blend them into the table top sea.
    Yes, Keith. This is a big issue at least from my point of view, as a non-sea gamer (maybe other chaps like them). The bases made my hair stand on end. They look terrible. I know they have to bear some markings, arcs of fire etc. and that is the reason they can not look as gorgeous as those from Dreadfleet. But why they can not be thinner and made of crystal clear plastic with engraved lines and other data? AA should offer a replacement as soon as possible!

By having the card attach to the base, they do not have to produce unique bases for all the different ships. This saves a lot on production costs. They had to make them 1mm thicker to accept the cards on to them. As for them not being clear, in this game, you do not have to align any arrow heads up, so you do not need to see through the bases.

Here is a super quick edit of one of the photos showing the bases. Do they look less distracting when they are blue in color?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sailsbase.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	80455

Here is a super quick edit of one of the photos showing the bases. Do they look less distracting when they are blue in color?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sailsbase.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	80455
    Frankly: only a little bit. It seems like the ships were sitting on sandbanks (if this is the right word). They seem to be lifted high above the nearby island. But maybe I'm just splitting hairs... Maybe hardcore sea wargamers accept that look.

Not everyone will be using their mats. I think the WoG type bases would look better, or no bases at all using a template. The high profile does not look real.
    But I still bought in the Kickstarter at the captain level. Love Age of sail wargaming.
    Last edited by Ed2; 03-07-2013 at 13:49.

I haven't said I'm definitely not buying the game but I think I will wait to see the finished product before I buy.
    I was also forgetting how small these ships are so the bases might not be too deep on the final model.
    Don

Well put in my pledge yesterday (LT level) so have a fewe months to wait.

Looking at the bases, I put off backing this. Those bases look too thick and overpower the ships.
    I'll wait till I see them in person. Hope to be wrong.
    Robert

I admit I was initialy put of by the bases, but the mat they are useing is one of the new ones for airial combat. I belive that on a plain sea mat the bases would not look so big. Also you can make your islands to suite the scale of the bases. The islands and sandbanks ect; from Likito I belive will fit in well.

I guess you guys will have to wait and see what they look like in the flesh, but I think we might be blowing this out of proportion. After all, the flight pegs for our beloved Wings of Glory are not exactly clean looking. There are the gap lines every cm or so and then the bubble in each of them along with the male pin showing through the other peg. Yet, with all of that, we don't even notice them when we play... or the bases for that matter. They only come to our attention when game mechanics are being used. Surveying the playing field, it's as if they are not even there. The same goes for those 5mm thick bases on our popular 15mm or 28mm wargame figures. We paint the sides of those a solid color and never think about them again.

To true Herr Oberst.

Just took advantage of the new Early Bird Commodore rewards to snipe an Early Bird Captain! I was planning to support my local store for the last 8 ships, but factoring in the $20 for the free map, $90 for 8 ships around $20 MSRP was too good a deal. I hope my store survives on my WoG purchases...

Oh, and if someone wanted Early Bird Lieutenant, there's one available.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast