Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways planes are getting smaller

Default Shapeways planes are getting smaller

The latest planes from Kampfflieger are Sopwith Camels in 1/350.
    They must be tiny

I used to play with Irregular 1/300 WW1 minis. They aren't too small, in fact they'd fit nicely in a normal WoW card.

Hostile Aircraft minis rules uses 1/300th, but this is an odd scale size (unless it matches a model RR scale).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Hostile Aircraft minis rules uses 1/300th, but this is an odd scale size (unless it matches a model RR scale).
    Karl
    Its basically Micro Armor scale... that run 1/285th to 1/300th.

I saw they had some at 1/288...now 1/350? That is getting to confusing. Pick one micro scale and stick with it, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I saw they had some at 1/288...now 1/350?
    1/350 is a standard naval model size - so these would be good for Camels on flying-off platforms on WWI British Naval vessels.

Seeing that the Camel improved on the Pup in every respect, it was decided to develop a version which could be operated at sea. In the spring and summer of 1917 the fifth prototype, adapted from the normal F1, underwent tests on the Isle of Grain.
    There were some essential differences from the standard Camel: first of all, the rear fuselage was detachable, at a point behind the pilot's position, in order to facilitate the stowage of planes on the hangar decks of ships.

Another difference was in armament - there was a single Vickers gun ahead of the pilot, and in the center section cut out a Lewis gun was fitted, which could be lowered for reloading (the so-called Admiralty Top Plane Mounting). Inflatable air bags were mounted in the rear of the fuselage to serve as flotation gear. A further change involved the control column, which now had external control levers for the elevator cables.

The plane had narrower wings in comparison with the standard F1 Camel, by some 13 inches (0.33m). 2F1 Camel was official name of the plane, but quite often it was simply called the 'Ship's Camel'. Orders from Sopwith were followed by orders from a variety of other manufacturers: - Beardmore, Johnston, Hooper, and Clayton & Shuttleworth.

In October 1917 the production 2F1 started to appear in the fleet. Planes were transferred to the decks of cruisers such as HMS Manxman, and also the specially designed aircraft carrier HMS Furious, formerly a light battlecruiser; and some were based in coastal air stations around Britain. Overall, up to the end of the war 275 2F1 Camels were built-a small number in comparison with F1 Camel production.

Nevertheless, they featured in many notable scenes in the history of air combat in the First World War. On July 19th, 1918 seven 2F1 carried out the first successful carrier based air strike: having taken off from the deck of aircraft carrier HMS Furious they destroyed German Zeppelins L54 and L60 in their sheds at Tondern. Three weeks later on August 11th, Flight Sub-Lieutenant Stuart Culley shot down Zeppelin L53.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I saw they had some at 1/288...now 1/350? That is getting to confusing. Pick one micro scale and stick with it, guys!
    Can't do that Kev. Especially with the chance of Naval action. It's all a matter of your perspective on the game I'm afraid.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

There is a good explanation on this. Those 1/350 are test models for a (hopefully large) coming colection for our "In clouds of Glory" miniatures game. We are currently translating the rules from Danish to English in order to make the game available to the more general public. This also creates a need for minis. Shapeways is hopefully the answer as we have until now custom built all our minis.

More on the game here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...louds-of-glory

Gameplay example in this AAR here (lots of pics): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...menin-road-sep

Rules examples in this AAR: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ctor-patrol-ab

Downloadable rules and missions in Danish here: http://icog.dk/

And yes, the models do fit with 1/350 scale Naval models... Currently building a German sub..

- Gilmore

Hmmm.... Hostile Aircraft (now out of print) uses 1/300 aircraft. Might look into this.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

OK GUYS! I have enough trouble with the MICRO size of the WOW CARDS, now you want me to try something smaller? how about i just go to RC'S and use lazertag items to shoot each other down.... LOLE

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    OK GUYS! I have enough trouble with the MICRO size of the WOW CARDS, now you want me to try something smaller?
    You mean 2mm? 1/1000? Like these:

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    You mean 2mm? 1/1000? Like these:

Yeh, sure um.....what are they??
    My limit is 5mm Napoleanics, and they still looked like painted matchsticks.
    Karl

For painting my limits are 6mm scale in aircraft, 1/600 in ships and 10mm in figures (though have been down to 8mm figs)

Smile

Don!

Here are some of my 1:285 planes i painted years ago! Long before decals in this scale!

Zoe the links are some of my 1:285 collection!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=140

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2921.jpg   2922.jpg   2923.jpg   2927.jpg  

And lo and behold..

A SSW D.III: http://www.shapeways.com/model/364530/

And a Friederichshafen bomber: http://www.shapeways.com/model/36449...ml?gid=sg91179

- Gilmore

Richard! Those 1:285 scale planes look nifty! get some struts in those wings though, looking a bit droopy

Can I ask, what are the red and white stripes painted on the base used for? Are they the firing range markers or are they there for decoration only?

Thumbs up

Michael!

Struts are you kidding! Let me think back to 1982 and come up with an answer. The red lines indicate Forward and rear ward firing angles. They and the white lines were used in target alignment! The rules took into account the angle you were being attacked from!

Rich