Ares Games

Thread: Ponnier M.1

Default Ponnier M.1

Hi there!

I'm trying (the task is almost impossible!) to get at least ONE of each plane used by the Belgian Aviation Militaire during WWI.

Right now, I'm thinking about scratch-building a Ponnier M.1.

"Having an urgent need for new fighter aircraft the Belgian authorities ordered thirty Ponnier M.1's, although this machine was rejected by the French Armée de l'Air for being too dangerous to fly.
    Most Belgian pilots also refused to fly the Ponnier (of which only ten were delivered) and it was quickly withdrawn from use."

"unstable and bad in the controls"

"Nungesser flew one, once, it crashed, he broke both legs and his jaw."

Nice, plane!

This what I could find concerning stats:
    Year: 1916
    Engine: 1 Le Rhône rotatif 9c de 80 ch
    Armament: 1 Lewis 7.7 mm MG
    Max speed: 167 km/h
    Cruising speed: ???
    Ascending speed: ???
    Max alt: ???
    Autonomy: ???
    Weight: 304 kg empty, 464 kg charged
    Wing span: 6,18 m
    Length: 5,75 m
    Height: 2,30 m
    Wing surface: 13,50 m2
    Crew: 1

Not very much to go with, I know...

Any ideas?

in advance!

Bilbo : SRAM does a 1/144 Ponnier with Belgian colours.. Still available at Hannants... I've been thinking about buying one myself but since that type didn't mean all that much in the war I keep postponing it...

Did you know that the Germans thought the Ponnier was a Belgian invention when they first met it up in the Air ?

Here's the link : http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SRAM50D

The purchase of this type of aircraft was very controversial and made some heads roll... This is the aircraft that made Andre De Meulemeester have second thoughts about the HD1 : he expected the HD1 to be a fluke just like the Ponnier... luckily Willy Coppens was there to prove him wrong
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 08-21-2013 at 03:53. Reason: damn typo's :(

By the way there are more pictures where you found yours :

http://www.belgian-wings.be/webpages...ponnier_m1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    Bilbo : SRAM does a 1/144 Ponnier with Belgian colours.. Still available at Hannants... I've been thinking about buying one myself but since that type didn't mean allthat much in the war I keep postponing it...

Did you know that the Germans thuought the Ponnier was a Belgian invention when they first met it up in the Air ?

Here's the link : http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SRAM50D

The purchase of this type of aircraft was very controversial and made some heads roll... This is the aircraft that made Andre De Meulemeester have second thoughts about the HD1 : he expected the HD1 to be a fluke just like the Ponnier... luckily Willy Coppens was there to prove him wrong
    Thanks for all this!

The thing is, though, that I find £10,50 (or 12€) plus transport a bit steep for a plane I'll play with only a few times, for fun's sake ("pour la déconnade")...
    My idea is to get this one http://www.shapeways.com/model/33532...ml?gid=sg91179 and to transform it into a Ponnier M.1.

Yes, the http//:www.belgian-wings.be website is a big help for finding all the planes used by the Belgians during WW1, but it was your PM that got me started in the right direction IIRW!

Thanks for the help!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I never heard of this plane. Not that I'm a WWI aviation expert or anything, in fact I've just recently purchased several WWI specific history books and am currently reading and studying A World Undone which is very interesting, sorry I digress. Why was the Ponnier M.1. dangerous? What were it's fight characteristics? I like the looks of it though.

I'll try to shed some light here...

In 1916 the Belgian Aviation Militaire found it very difficult to replace its destroyed Nieuport aircraft... France wasn't to enthousiastic to sell their fighters to Belgium as there was some political struggle going on: the French Generals were desperately trying to annex the Belgian army but our King Albert I proved to be a hurdle they were never able to take.
    This left the Belgian Aviation Militaire in dire need for new aircraft so they send Commandant Tournay on a scouting trip to purchase fighter aircraft. I guess much to the man's surprise, he was able to buy 30 Ponniers M1 for a scratch... He ought to have been suspicious about that but I guess he might have been so happy to have found aircraft that this clouded his better judgement.

What he didn't know was that the ponnier nearly killed Charles Nungesser when he took one out for a test-flight : the aircraft stalled and fell down like a brick breaking nearly every bone in Nungesser's body. The joystick went straight through his jaw , dislocating it but... he lived.
    After this incident every French pilot coldly refused to even enter the Ponnier which left the French with an aircraft they couldn't use. So when Tournay came looking for aircraft, not knowing this story he really was an easy target...it costed him dearly afterwards.

Jan Olieslagers did know about Nungesser and he went on a one-man crusade against the Ponnier and publicly doubted Tournay's sanity...which led to sanctions of course... But Jan held his ground and the Belgian pilots followed him.
    The few Ponniers that flew only did so after substantial changes, such as an entire new rudder ( and I believe a change of engine...but I'm not sure of that ).

The Ponnier was a small and short aircraft with short wings of equal dimensions. Because of its small wing surface and underpowered 80pk Le Rhone engine it was easily stalled.

When on june 18 1916 Captain Jaquet crashed an "upgraded" Ponnier this meant the end of it : those that were left had their lower wings stripped and were send to the pilot training school in Etampes where students used them to learn how to taxi.

This is in short the story about the Ponnier...I'm afraid that there are no technical specs to be found...at least I didn't find them...
    Last edited by Bluedevil; 08-21-2013 at 03:56.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I found a site with some rather good photo`s.
    http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages...ponnier_m1.htm

Thanks Robert, but the same link had been posted by Alex on post 3 (and my own picture came from there too).

By the way, "I was born with a heart of Lothian" (metaphorically speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    I'll try to shed some light here...

In 1916 the Belgian Aviation Militaire found it very difficult to replace its destroyed Nieuport aircraft... France wasn't to enthousiastic to sell their fighters to Belgium as there was some political struggle going on: the French Generals were desperately trying to annex the Belgian army but our King Albert I proved to be a hurdle they were never able to take.
    This left the Belgian Aviation Militaire in dire need for new aircraft so they send Commandant Tournay on a scouting trip to purchase fighter aircraft. I guess much to the man's surprise, he was able to buy 30 Ponniers M1 for a scratch... He ought to have been suspicious about that but I guess he might have been so happy to have found aircraft that this clouded his better judgement.

What he didn't know was that the ponnier nearly killed Charles Nungesser when he took one out for a test-flight : the aircraft stalled and fell down like a brich breaking nearly every bone in Nungeser's body. The joystick went straight through his jaw , dislocating it but... he lived.
    After this incident every French pilot coldly refused to even enter the Ponnier which left the French with an aircraft they couldn't use. So when Tournay came looking for aircraft, not knowing this story he really was an easy target...it costed him dearly afterwards.

Jan Olieslagers did know about Nungesser and he went on a one-man crusade against the Ponnier and publicly doubted Tournay's sanity...which led to sanctions of course... But Jan held his ground and the Belgian pilots followed him.
    The few Ponniers that flew only did so after substantial changes, such as an entire new rudder ( and I believe a change of engine...but I'm not sure of that ).

The Ponnier was a small and short aircraft with short wings of equal dimensions. Because of its small wing surface and underpowered 80pk Le Rhone engine it was easily stalled.

When on june 18 1916 Captain Jaquet crashed an "upgraded" Ponnier this meant the end of it : those that were left had their lower wings stripped and were send to the pilot training school in Etampes where students used them to learn how to taxi.

This is in short the story about the Ponnier...I'm afraid that there are no technical specs to be found...at least I didn't find them...
    Whow, Alex! You managed to put into one post everything I had found so far...
    By the way, Commandant Tournay didn't get sacked, but never had to buy a plane again.

And I'm afraid that there are no more specs to be found than in my original post.
    No climb rates, etc.

[Edit: this was post 666!]
    Last edited by petitbilbo; 09-23-2011 at 05:22. Reason: Post 666...

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    Thanks Robert, but the same link had been posted by Alex on post 3 (and my own picture came from there too).

By the way, "I was born with a heart of Lothian" (metaphorically speaking).

OOPS! I missed that, still the pics ARE rather good.
    Still searching for stats but so far nothing has turned up on the net.
    Looks like its time to hit the books!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Well, thank you all for this interesting thread on a little known deathtrap of an aeroplane. Enough information was given to tweak ones interest in further exploration regarding the 'rest of the story'!

According to the `complete book of FIGHTERS`
    `PONNIER M.1 France
    In 1915 Avions Ponnier produced the single-seat fighter,
    allegedly to the designs of Emile Eugene Dupont,
    who was subsequently to be responisible for the Hanriot HD1.
    An unequal span single bay nominally staggered biplane`

there is a bit more text telling the story of Nuggessers crash on 29th January 1916
    and the Belgians taking about eighteen examples.

The stats listed are as follows...

Max speed 104 mph at sea level (167 km/h)
    Climb rate, 4.67 minutes to 3,200ft (1,000 m)
    Span 20ft 3 1/2 inches (6,18 m)
    Length 18ft 10 1/5th inches) (5.75m)
    Wing area 145.3 sq ft (13.50 m squared)

Powered by 80hp LeRhone

Hope this helps
    I have a similar card model if you would like one customised to suit....let me know

I does look a lot like the HD1 from this picture !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ponnier m1.jpg  
    Last edited by batesyboy; 09-25-2011 at 04:23. Reason: missed engine stats

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    OOPS! I missed that, still the pics ARE rather good.
    Still searching for stats but so far nothing has turned up on the net.
    Looks like its time to hit the books!
    Never mind, it's the thought that counts!

(Nothing about the quote on Lothian? Snif!)

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    According to the `complete book of FIGHTERS`
    `PONNIER M.1 France
    In 1915 Avions Ponnier produced the single-seat fighter,
    allegedly to the designs of Emile Eugene Dupont,
    who was subsequently to be responisible for the Hanriot HD1.
    An unequal span single bay nominally staggered biplane`

there is a bit more text telling the story of Nuggessers crash on 29th January 1916
    and the Belgians taking about eighteen examples.

The stats listed are as follows...

Max speed 104 mph at sea level (167 km/h)
    Climb rate, 4.67 minutes to 3,200ft (1,000 m)
    Span 20ft 3 1/2 inches (6,18 m)
    Length 18ft 10 1/5th inches) (5.75m)
    Wing area 145.3 sq ft (13.50 m squared)