Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much would you be willing to pay for a mini ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Excuse me while I sigh wistfully about the complete set of series 1 and 2 that I sold for a fiver a model three years ago....
    Doh Doh Doh

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Doh Doh Doh
    Paul - may I very politely disagree with you here ... It is extremely hard to predict and forecast which way a market such as the one for Official Wings of War will turn in terms of years. Especially when during those three years Nexus turned their backs on supporting the game entirely introducing the strong possibility that the market could actually collapse completely. However luckily for us Ares Games came along and rescued supporting Wings of War and in the process of doing so turns the game into Wings of Glory. Now here is where there is still the chance that demand for the old system will either drop or become sought after.

It just so happens that Wings of War are becoming sought after / collectors' items - against all odds the market has taken an upward trend. But I have known of transport managers with years of experience who are unable to forecast accurately - mostly being attributed to unforeseen events or external influences. Especially in the world of aviation and air travel.

Who are the most accurate forecasters as proven by statistics? It's actually antique dealers who have special techniques and a special way unique to their trade of forecasting the value of items. Until 2012 I had a large collection of 1/72 aircraft construction kits which I disposed of that year and in terms of the Airfix kits just in time to prevent the adverse effects of something I had not foreseen coming their way. During the following two years Airfix re-released many of the kits I had sold in 2012 but in their original / 1980s / 1990s packaging but rebranded with present day Airfix boxes: Still the same old kits inside but an instance of Old Wine In New Bottles as the saying goes. Had I held onto the Airfix kits which I sold off their value would have tumbled because of all these repackaged re-releases so I was very lucky ... Still didn't see this coming though.

Like I said I'm sorry to disagree with you but forecasting and predicting like this is extremely tough. Unless it appears you happen to be an antiques dealer ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Paul - may I very politely disagree with you here ... It is extremely hard to predict and forecast which way a market such as the one for Official Wings of War will turn in terms of years. Especially when during those three years Nexus turned their backs on supporting the game entirely introducing the strong possibility that the market could actually collapse completely. However luckily for us Ares Games came along and rescued supporting Wings of War and in the process of doing so turns the game into Wings of Glory. Now here is where there is still the chance that demand for the old system will either drop or become sought after.

It just so happens that Wings of War are becoming sought after / collectors' items - against all odds the market has taken an upward trend. But I have known of transport managers with years of experience who are unable to forecast accurately - mostly being attributed to unforeseen events or external influences. Especially in the world of aviation and air travel.

Who are the most accurate forecasters as proven by statistics? It's actually antique dealers who have special techniques and a special way unique to their trade of forecasting the value of items. Until 2012 I had a large collection of 1/72 aircraft construction kits which I disposed of that year and in terms of the Airfix kits just in time to prevent the adverse effects of something I had not foreseen coming their way. During the following two years Airfix re-released many of the kits I had sold in 2012 but in their original / 1980s / 1990s packaging but rebranded with present day Airfix boxes: Still the same old kits inside but an instance of Old Wine In New Bottles as the saying goes. Had I held onto the Airfix kits which I sold off their value would have tumbled because of all these repackaged re-releases so I was very lucky ... Still didn't see this coming though.

Like I said I'm sorry to disagree with you but forecasting and predicting like this is extremely tough. Unless it appears you happen to be an antiques dealer ...
    No probs Barney I only wish I was the guy that got the goodies. Market forces ( not wishing to go into forbidden territory here of politics ) will dictate the price. Which is why it is refreshing to have members of the Drome not willing to scalp a fellow member for a prized plane. Truly altruistic me thinks .

The gentleman whose selling his WW2 / WGS Collection at the moment is unable to help me out in this quest for Aichi Vals.
    So which ones are you after?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Desperate that I am for the Balthazar Edition Messerschmitt Me Bf.109E-3 I am not prepared to pay GBP £60.00 to £80.00 for it! Two months ago when a Galland Edition Me Bf.109E sold in an E-Bay auction for GBP £41.00 that was at the time thought to be some sort of record. Somebody recently had Molders on E-Bay for auction starting at GBP £30.00 - received a bid within a few hours of listing it.

Dive Bombers wise Aichi D3 Vals appear to be selling for better prices with Junkers Ju-87 Stukas appearing to be the more pricey / rare of these aircraft types. Have chosen to work on Vals first and then concentrate on Stukas due to the price / rarity situation. With ongoing searches in process for that final Messerschmitt Bf.109E I need as well as the Bader Edition Hawker Hurricane Mk I ...
    I am one of the guilty parties, having bought two Molders 109s from that nice chap on ebay, for £30 each post free; that makes them the equivalent of around £26 each, and I have paid more than that for several different WGF planes before now.

You do know there was a 4th Nexus Bf109 - Pankratz, only produced as one of the 4 planes in the Deluxe edition starter set? I picked one up from ebay for £10 (unboxed); this was the only one I have ever seen on ebay, and I'm on there EVERY DAY!
    As for Vals, I bought most of mine from France (ludibay and ludikbazaar).
    As for Stukas, I bought most of mine from Evan (Xen here on the Forum) in Australia.
    My Bader Hurricanes were all ebay acquisitions, except for two sold to me by members of my local gaming group.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    I just "won" the last mini I needed to complete my WW1set (the hard to get Rahn) on ebay for 36USD. Just wondering what is the top price people on this forum would pay/paid for an out of print mini.

I'm curious to know if I should smoke more crack or am I just simply an imbecile.

Haha, you're not alone Chris. I once shelled out about $60 in an auction to win Ernst Udet's DVII. And you know what...I still think it was worth it!

BTW, as long as we're on the subject of expensive minis, anyone wanna buy this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YNI...f+glory+Nakano

Quote Originally Posted by HotleadColdfeet View Post
    BTW, as long as we're on the subject of expensive minis, anyone wanna buy this one?
    Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Excuse me while I sigh wistfully about the complete set of series 1 and 2 that I sold for a fiver a model three years ago....
    Ouch. That's going to leave a mark.

Result! I'll have all three!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Result! I'll have all three!
    I would laugh... but that would paint a false picture. My hangar is complete and up-to-date... which means Ares can count on my $$ each and every time they release a new series...

Smile

Haha, you're not alone Chris. I once shelled out about $60 in an auction to win Ernst Udet's DVII. And you know what...I still think it was worth it!

He is kidding, right?
    At least the shipping was cheap!

If I were not a painter, I would buy three AIM models, bases from the Oberst, and get them painted by a painting service. There would still be a lot of change out of my $2000.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    So which ones are you after?
    Steve, hope you are well.

I'm after all of them (Aichi Vals) ... With all three Vals acquired then I will turn my attention to Stukas.

It's got to be a Typo surely $653 +p&p

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

It's got to be a Typo surely $653 +p&p
    Also if you look at the description this ridiculous ad is for the Nakano Edition Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ... Yet the picture shows the same aircraft which is only available exclusively within the WW2 / WGS Starter Set and which is now out of production.

Steve, hope you are well.

I'm after all of them (Aichi Vals) ... With all three Vals acquired then I will turn my attention to Stukas.
    Just PM'd you

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just PM'd you
    Just read PM - thank you Sir

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I would laugh... but that would paint a false picture. My hangar is complete and up-to-date... which means Ares can count on my $$ each and every time they release a new series...
    Same here!
    Karl'
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Same here!
    Karl'
    Karl may I ask if this includes the which are only available exclusively with the starter sets or just the airplane / aircraft and special pack Editions?

My hangar from Ares Games for WW2 / WGS is now only missing the four WW2 Starter Set so I will be very grateful when the planned new WGS releases appear. However until then the Wings of War WW2 / WGS which I am missing will be enough to keep me occupied as will learning the delicate art of dive bombing vis-a-vis gameplay ...

Speaking of gameplay with a full inventory of Ares WW2 / WGS aircraft it is enabling me to start dividing them into categories. Such as the trophy aircraft (Avro Lancaster Dambuster Edition) due to the lack of usage possibilities this aircraft appears to have with the workhorses (Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX / NA P-51D / Focke Wulf Fw.190D-9) being always in play. With an emanating category of chompers developing (Kawasaki Ki-61-I-KIAD Hien) which distribute D-Tokens - the only aircraft in WGS to do so or (Bristol Beaufighter Mk IVF) are cannon-armed enough to destroy anything that is in it's way! Finally biplanes (Gloster Gladiator/Fiat CR.42 Falco) denotes the most manoeuverable and brand new player-friendly aircraft - the biplanes of WW2.

I cannot divide my inventory of Nexus WW2 / WGS aircraft up in the same fashion as I am still missing quite a few which include two aircraft types completely ...
    Last edited by Tonx; 08-18-2015 at 15:20. Reason: Categories editing.

Karl may I ask if this includes the which are only available exclusively with the starter sets or just the airplane / aircraft and special pack Editions?
    I have 1 of the WGS starter sets; I'm pretty sure I missed out on the Nexus DoW starter.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

BULLSEYE!

Looks like I have just found myself a Balthazar Edition Messerschmitt Bf.109E-3 after my offer of the equivalent of GBP £30.00 for it was accepted. It's coming from a friend in Brisbane whose decided he was prepared to part with one of his three in return for the way I helped him acquire aircraft which he was looking for just recently.

Same friend as a result about to spend the equivalent of GBP £100.00 on 4 Grumman F4F Wildcats + 1 Martlet Mk I buying from the same gentleman I liased with for my other Messerschmitt Bf.109s just recently. Hope he has plenty of fun with those when they arrive. GBP £20.00 for a Wings of War Grumman F4F Wildcat seems reasonable to me amidst the current market ...
    Last edited by Tonx; 08-19-2015 at 08:47. Reason: Typo!

that's more than I'd pay for fighters. Even in todays market.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Horses for courses - in the pre reprint days I paid in the 20-30 range a few times for WWI Fokkers, but I was in an OK paying job and wanted them badly - in those circumstances my comfort zone for price stretched a bit further than it does at the moment....

I'm retired now! not much funds now.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    that's more than I'd pay for fighters. Even in todays market.
    Me, too. Especially the Martlet. You can still find those for reasonable prices ($15-20 / £10-13):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantasy-Flig...item23554bc8c3

I would pay £20 for an original Series 2 Schäfer D.VII. And most likely more. I would think about it, at the very least.

Gack.

Back in May 2014, on my way to Enfilade, I cleaned out a store on Vancouver Island that was not selling its Wings of War product, and not interested in me assisting in promoting the game with demos. So, I said give me your best price, and I'll clean out the shelves, giving you back your display space for stuff you want to sell. I got four Bf-109s, and a mitten-load of PTO planes (Link: Fire from the Sky Gone - All PTO Planes Gone).

Two Bf-109s were sold by PM to Enfilade attendees before I got there (I kept two Molders for repaints), and I sold four more planes (F4F and Zero pairs) to a new addict at the Con. The rest ended up going to Neil [Skafloc], for some of his projects.

All were sold to Forum members at cost (Selling them was the only reason I'm still married. An agreement I made with SWMBO, when she found out how much money I spent buying planes I supposedly didn't even want!). The planes went to people who would cherish them, so I passed on the deal to comrades.

I know prices in Australia are more dear, but I have a issue with profiting from fellow members. Just saying, not accusing anyone of being bad (and this isn't a poke at Forum members who are merchants. If you are running a business, that's not the thing I'm troubled about).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Gack...

...Two Bf-109s were sold by PM to Enfilade attendees before I got there (I kept two Molders for repaints), and I sold four more planes (F4F and Zero pairs) to a new addict at the Con. The rest ended up going to Neil [Skafloc], for some of his projects.

All were sold to Forum members at cost (Selling them was the only reason I'm still married. An agreement I made with SWMBO, when she found out how much money I spent buying planes I supposedly didn't even want!). The planes went to people who would cherish them, so I passed on the deal to comrades...
    You're a man of integrity, Mike.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    I'm retired now! not much funds now.
    Disabled and in a similar situation - however when the opportunity arises I am able to work from home. Investing in Wings of Glory WW2 / WGS instead of buying and building 1/72 plastic construction kits after ten years of doing that.

I have been paying GBP £12.00 to GBP £15.00 for a Wings of Glory single engine fighter. Wings of War fighters-wise I have been lucky in some instances of GBP £5.00 however prepared to pay GBP £30.00 for a Me Bf.109E ... Prefer to buy all my Miniatures brand new though I have a couple which have been pre-owned.

I think my friend Down Under was happy to settle for GBP £20.00 for a Grumman Martlet Mk I as this one was available to him where he is in Brisbane. At my local FLGS which actually stocks Wings of Glory / War these aircraft are available for GBP £15.00 so £20.00 private sale is not too wayward IMHO.

You're a man of integrity, Mike.
    And damn smart Always keep SWMBO on your side

Always keep SWMBO on your side
    And wiser words never were spoken...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

And wiser words never were spoken...
    Very reminiscent of the end of 'Wreck of The Old 97' by Johnny Cash - only the roles are reversed as the song ends:

Never speak harsh words to your true lovin' husband, he may leave you and never return ...

I hoover up available minis, usually for repaints, but also pass some on to Forum members who just can't get hold of a particular plane, and who I believe contribute positives to the growth of the game.

This has enabled me to experiment with international postage (sending, instead of my usual receiving), and to get convention players in the U.K. started off with minis of their own.

People were very helpful towards me when I started off - I feel it is only fair to "put something back".

I think the most I have paid for a single plane might have been $30.00

I contacted a seller on eBay last year with my "wish list" of about 17 planes - some I had not seen anywhere else on eBay.
    He accepted my offer of $300 (including $40 shipping from Australia)
    That made it an average of $23

Actually I just looked back at my email - I did a second batch from him where I paid a bit more for some "hard to get" ones - nearly $40 each including shipping.

looking back the most i ever paid was $25.00 including shipping for a shafer fokker d7

The most I've paid was for a number of Calfaber's repaints... they're beautiful, but cost + shipping put the price point per aircraft $30-35. Totally worth it.

The most I've paid was for a number of Calfaber's repaints... they're beautiful, but cost + shipping put the price point per aircraft $30-35. Totally worth it.
    Ditto.

Did a bunch of trades with cal a few years ago...usually 2 or 3 for 1 repaint depending on the model. He would then do the repaint I wanted using one of the planes as the donor and keeping the other(s) for inventory. Shipping with insurance raised the cost and I believe he paid duty on the lot.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    People were very helpful towards me when I started off - I feel it is only fair to "put something back".
    A similar way of thinking saw me come home from Hammerhead 2015 where the Wife and I had played for the first time and start a thread in return for the way we had both been encouraged and treated. It began with:

'Well I started out, down a dirty road ...' - Tom Petty.

It turned into Circuits and Bumps which follows a brand new player as they first open the RAP with two to deploy all the way until they first fly an Avro Lancaster Dambuster mission - a little creativity coupled with a lot of determination. But a massive thank you to everyone who was at Hammerhead 2015 where the WW1 / WGF group won a Convention Award! See WW2 Missions for more.

wise I only have one example of each aircraft edition for WW2 / WGS and am still collecting the Wings of War range. But should I ever be in a position to sell anything it too would be with my heart / the game in mind not just my wallet in mind.

Back in the day, I caught Fokker Fever, and bid far too much on some Triplanes. I won't do that again, but I'm not sure I regret it that much either.
    I'm not a fan of evil-bay; in fact, I just got a email from them stating my account will be closed due to inactivity unless I ping it
    Karl

Iafrate

I am pretty close to chopping off my leg or harvesting a kidney for a Ernst Udet Fokker DVII (aka, the last mini I need to finish my collection). Frustrating to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by Iafrate View Post
    I am pretty close to chopping off my leg or harvesting a kidney for a Ernst Udet Fokker DVII (aka, the last mini I need to finish my collection). Frustrating to say the least...
    I'm pretty certain that the going rate for a Udet D.VII is complete cardiopulmonary transplantation...

im still looking for an udet d7 myself. ive pretty much given up ever finding one i could afford.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Best bet is to watch for small job lots - one just went on Ebay for £44 with an original Snipe and an Olieslagers Camel - if whoever got it sells on those two, the Udet will probably have worked out at £20-£25, which by current standards isn't bad at all....

LOOP

I have some holes in my Collection that I really wants to fill (Dr1: Rahn, Kempf. DVII: Udet. Dva: Weber. SE5a Dallas) but these are way to expensive for me.
    When the pricetag starts to rice over $20 a piece I'm out

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I am now on the lookout for two Junkers Ju-87 Stukas - I am looking and hoping to pay around GBP £15 to 18.00 for the Sugaroni (Sugroni?) Edition. As for the Desert Camouflage Stuka there is a little bit of a pricey one currently for sale on the Evil-Bay but the postage is £24.00 to the UK ... So no way I am not that desperate!

There are a few possibilities which I could try for the Desert Camouflage Stuka but having only just turned my attention to this aircraft type I have also to become fully familiar with selling prices. However with regard to the Green Colour Scheme version (IV(Stuka)/LG.1 Edition) I have this one already.

UDET D.VII or D7 - noted for when I am on my travels. I will keep an eye open for this WGF aircraft especially when next visiting my FLGS in Nottingham.

Iafrate

UDET D.VII or D7 - noted for when I am on my travels. I will keep an eye open for this WGF aircraft especially when next visiting my FLGS in Nottingham.
    I would be truly indebted to you, if you come across one...did they only make a few hundred of these? I've acquired everything else, that I would have figured would be impossible to get...(Balloons, Galland....)

However with regard to the Green Colour Scheme version (IV(Stuka)/LG.1 Edition) I have this one already.
    Well, how lucky is that?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Well, how lucky is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Iafrate View Post
    I would be truly indebted to you, if you come across one...did they only make a few hundred of these? I've acquired everything else, that I would have figured would be impossible to get...(Balloons, Galland....)
    youre lucky i still dont have any balloons the few ive seen have gone for just too much.

I am now on the lookout for two Junkers Ju-87 Stukas - I am looking and hoping to pay around GBP £15 to 18.00 for the Sugaroni (Sugroni?) Edition. As for the Desert Camouflage Stuka there is a little bit of a pricey one currently for sale on the Evil-Bay but the postage is £24.00 to the UK ... So no way I am not that desperate!

There are a few possibilities which I could try for the Desert Camouflage Stuka but having only just turned my attention to this aircraft type I have also to become fully familiar with selling prices. However with regard to the Green Colour Scheme version (IV(Stuka)/LG.1 Edition) I have this one already.

i think one of our distributors may still have some sugaronis. unfortunately overseas shipping is ridicules.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast