Ares Games

Thread: Deflection

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Default Deflection

Anybody use any house rule that adds deflection? The optimum firing angle is always from behind (from a pilots perspective anyway) because the relative movement of the two aircraft is at it's smallest. Conversely perpendicular or head-on attacks offer the worst attacks because the target presents itself in ones sights for only a brief instant. Other games have firing penalties if one is attacking from a bad angle and I'm wondering if anybody does anything with Wings of War. I'm thinking of using some modifiers for my firing/damage charts that I use all the time now but I don't know how one would add deflection if using the regular damage cards.

Not in WoW, but in a few of the other miniature aircraft rules sets our group has used in the past, there were modifiers for deflection.

I don't know that considering deflection would matter much given the way the chances to hit, and damage is determined in the WoW rules.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Yeah it would be tough using the standard damage decks. In my case I've translated the damage decks to a chart and I roll percentile dice so I could easily subract from the dice roll to reflect bad angle shots. It would also be a way to decrement observers fire since there's another thread around here somewhere that talks about how brutal observers fire is.

Since you are already using different damage charts, I would just modify your dice rolls like you say.

If someone wanted to try and add this with just using the basic damage decks, I'd say use the reverse of the Bulls eye shot... draw two damage cards and let the target pick which to keep. That ensures you still deal a damage card (maybe not actual damage due to the 0s in the deck), but has the chance to lessen how effective those kinds of shots are. If you need more degrees of difficulty for those kinds of shots, you could draw as many as 3 or 4 cards, letting the target pick the one he wants to keep.

Default I'm going to try Col Hajj's idea.

I too have been considering the fundamental difficulty of deflection shooting compared to a tailing or head-on shot. There are many variables in air-to-air deflection shooting with ballistic weapons, not just the "classic" shooting from the side example/explanation.

Whatever is done, if you do anything, it should be easy and quick in order to preserve these excellent features of the game.

I think I'll try a test solo game or two with the Col.'s idea made as simple as I think it can be. "Any same altitude side-shot (45 degrees either side of 90 degrees from the long-axis) draws 2 cards (long-range) or 4 cards (short-range) and the target picks the 1 or 2 he/she prefers.

I'll try to remember to report back.
    Bruce

charlest

What about just a straight -1 damage (special damage still applies), kind of like the opposite of the Aim advanced rule.

Quote Originally Posted by charlest View Post
    What about just a straight -1 damage (special damage still applies), kind of like the opposite of the Aim advanced rule.
    My thoughts exactly - we have the +1 card slot - why not a -1?

If the stream of fire passes anywhere but through the rear face of base or card it is drawn at -1

Sorted!

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    My thoughts exactly - we have the +1 card slot - why not a -1?

If the stream of fire passes anywhere but through the rear face of base or card it is drawn at -1

Sorted!
    I would add the front facing as well.

To simplify things even more (I hate the +/- stuff with the card system) how about only taking damage if the card has a Special Damage Icon on it?

When the player draws the card, if it only has a damage number on it he can show it to the group for verification that there is no damage incurred due to the deflection shot, and simply return the card to the Damage Deck.

I realize that this removes the chance of taking the dreaded 5 card, but the player won't really have to keep track of undocumented points.

rgronholm

My 5 cent
    I assumed it is easier to hit a plane shooting at its tail or front than at the side so we give the firing player an extra A card damage if he is tailing or in front of a plane. We use tailing definition in that case. It makes head on attacks more hazardous for both sides. This bonus does not apply to rear gunners.

My Tuppence worth !!
    Personally I wouldn't count deflection purely as I feel it makes the game more complex than it needs to be & we should 'take our shots like a man' but I appreciate some strive for more realism in the game and to put their own stamp on it. We all do it somehow!
    If I were to use deflection I would suggest that using the firing ruler straight ahead off the nose of the attacking aircraft - ie ignore the firing arc - if it passes over the red dot / point of impact then a hit is registered and damage cards are taken if not it doesn't (or maybe B deck cards taken?).
    Anyway, no +1 /-1 shenanigans, just hit or miss & cards counted at face value.
    Hope this helps !

Good luck with it - look forward to feedback on your solo trials.

Regards flash
    (follower of the KISS principle!)

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I also like the simple mechanism of WoW. I t is what attracted me to the game in the first place, having spent too much of my life ploughing through pages of rules that the nit pickers could interpret in any way they chose. However, for those who like to get as much realism into their games as they can, and to stimulate debate on the forum, i say carry on with the good work.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."