Ares Games

Thread: Eddie Rickenbacker SPAD XIII color scheme

Default Eddie Rickenbacker SPAD XIII color scheme

I am going to finish up my Reviresco SPAD XIII in the scheme of Eddie Rickenbacker. I have found several sources on the net, but most are not clear especially around the front of the fuselage and engine covers. Does anyone have a good image file of all of the surfaces of his aircraft or a source?

Thanks,
    David

This page has links to 5 decent downlaodable High reolution Images of the Spad XIII at the Air Force museum that has been painted to match Captain Rickenbacker's http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=318

Here is a link to one picture I took of the same aircraft: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=371&attachmentid=7063

This Google Image search will show you quite a few different takes on the livery... I am sure if you can get the top surfaces to come close to one of these, and try to match up with the photos above, only the most demanding of the Historical Experts will be able to tell the difference... http://www.google.com/search?q=Rickenbacker+SPad+XIII&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=CmFcTr7VBoPE0AGauIDvAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=909

The other option would be to find someone who has the WoW mini and use it as your guide...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

If you need ill take some pics of my Ricken for you, pm if you want

Great Link Cowman!

I saw that the museum is hosting a WWI fly-in event at the end of the month. Are you attending? If so, pictures will be mandatory. Wish I could get over there for that, but we will be training up in Fort Drum that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Great Link Cowman!

I saw that the museum is hosting a WWI fly-in event at the end of the month. Are you attending? If so, pictures will be mandatory. Wish I could get over there for that, but we will be training up in Fort Drum that week.
    Actually a few of us from here in Ohio are getting together to attend. I plan to take as many pictures as I can and shoot video. I am sure the others will be inaa similar photgraphic mode. Should be plenty for all to see!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thanks for all the links to color schemes for Eddie's craft! No need to send photos. I think I can get what I need from these images, Thanks again!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    The other option would be to find someone who has the WoW mini and use it as your guide...
    Remember ken, Dom is of the opinion the the WOW Rickenbacker colours are not quite right.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ll=1#post55086
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

David, Karl is correct. There is no better expert on the site than Dom when it comes to paint schemes and colors... so if he says the WoW mini is off... it is off... perhaps you should stick to the pictures...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I posted this reply in the wrong thread, so here it is in the correct one!

So, is the bottom side of the plane supposed to be grey, or a light yellow sand color? I have now seen it both ways. How about the stripe on the top wing, is it supposed to be red, white and blue, or just red and white? Is the large number "1" only on the top wing? What is on the bottom of the lower wing? I'm also curious, what is all of the lettering that I always see on the rudder of a SPAD? I have pretty much decided that I will paint Eddie's craft in the "Kellner" scheme, does this sound correct? Yes, I have seen the light green in several shades. More olive seem more in line with camouflage.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer53 View Post
    I posted this reply in the wrong thread, so here it is in the correct one!

So, is the bottom side of the plane supposed to be grey, or a light yellow sand color? I have now seen it both ways. How about the stripe on the top wing, is it supposed to be red, white and blue, or just red and white? Is the large number "1" only on the top wing? What is on the bottom of the lower wing? I'm also curious, what is all of the lettering that I always see on the rudder of a SPAD? I have pretty much decided that I will paint Eddie's craft in the "Kellner" scheme, does this sound correct? Yes, I have seen the light green in several shades. More olive seem more in line with camouflage.

David
    LOL I think we need to get Dom to reply... I just posted the links, I did not say I could sort them out.... ...and I was not able to get top down pics at the museum...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Hi Cowman,
    You have given me links to lots of great photos! Thank you so much! I've pretty much settled on the Kellner scheme for Eddie. Just a few things I need to sort out unique to his plane. I'm not looking to make a "perfect" model. But there are probably a few very simple nd easy things I can do to make it more correct. It looks like the "5 color camo" is basically dark and light brown, dark and light green and appparently the very darkest color is black. The bottom of the aircraft is either grey or a pale yellow color, some of which is under the tail as well. I hope Dom chimes in!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer53 View Post
    Hi Cowman,
    You have given me links to lots of great photos! Thank you so much! I've pretty much settled on the Kellner scheme for Eddie. Just a few things I need to sort out unique to his plane. I'm not looking to make a "perfect" model. But there are probably a few very simple nd easy things I can do to make it more correct. It looks like the "5 color camo" is basically dark and light brown, dark and light green and appparently the very darkest color is black. The bottom of the aircraft is either grey or a pale yellow color, some of which is under the tail as well. I hope Dom chimes in!
    David
    I hope he or one of the other Historical guys does chime in... I am certainly no expert on aircraft Livery... after all, I am the guy who paints his aircraft in cow spots... <Looks around to see if Lt. Col. Kyte is anywere close-by with his pointy stick>

If you are willing to wait until the 23rd, a bunch of us are headed back to the museum for an airshow.. we could look into maybe getting underside and topside photos of the replica somehow!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"