Ares Games

Thread: Campaign ideas for Young Players

Default Campaign ideas for Young Players

I'm going to start a small campaign with 3 to 4 players ages (7 to 10). They will all be on the same team and I'll be playing the other side (like a DM in D&D).

Given their age I'll allow them to talk to each other during combat and will likely start with not worrying about altitude. However, I'm looking for some input on what would make a good ruleset for the campaign given the age of the players.

Thanks for any input you can give.

I have just started a campaign for my 3 kids oldest one 15 all of them only been playing for a few months and I've used the solo campaign rules by Iain McGhee which are in the files section . I play the Germans they all play the Allies. been ok so far.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    I have just started a campaign for my 3 kids oldest one 15 all of them only been playing for a few months and I've used the solo campaign rules by Iain McGhee which are in the files section . I play the Germans they all play the Allies. been ok so far.
    I think those rules would work very well...I like the Players vs. DM style for the young players & to encourage teamwork.

Here is the link:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=802

I think some of those rules might be a bit too much for the youngest one, but I can pick and choose. There is good stuff in that rule set. Thanks.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Good luck and good flying! I'd be interested in hearing how it goes with them.

I'll post the missions results on the board. For now I've programmed Dicenomicon to roll dice and give results for type A-D damage that mirrors the decks. So that will allow us to 'share' damage decks. I'll use some of the aids here to share movement decks.

At this point I just need to pick what rules, etc. I want to start with and I'll ramp up the rules as the campaign goes on.

Dicenomicon is here: http://www.gandreas.com/iphone/dicenomicon/ if you want to peek at it. I made a link for the word Dicenomicon above but you don't see it's a link unless you mouse over it. The board admin should change that (IMHO).

So we played a quick game. My two sons were flying Nieuport 17s with B guns and I flown against them a Pfalz DIII with A guns. We didn't play with altitude rules and my kids shared an I deck. They picked their moves using one of the card aids. The planes started some distance away at a right angle from each other.

The planes turned to each other and fired. My oldest fired and my plane exploded, game over....

OK, so after my sons stopped bragging we tried it again. The planes trade some shots at each other and then the oldest moved too far away from the battle and that let myself and the youngest child some time alone. While the oldest flew back I got some good shots in and had the plane in flames with only a few points left.

However the older son started to close in and had a good position. I let the younger son go figuring the fire would finish him (and it shortly did). Damage on my plane was high and I had to shake him... However he guessed my moves well and he got 2 shots on me and that finished me.

Afterword I did some math comparing A guns to B guns just in terms of damage points only. The A guns do, on average 1.55 damage per shot to the B guns 1.06 damage. So in terms of math it looks even, it would take 15 shots between the two planes to sink my plane and 15 shots for me to down the two planes (again on average), but it was just too hard for me to shoot one plane without getting hit by the other. I'm going to give them a few more training missions to get them more experience.

Also, all damage and special effect was public, it was just easier.

The problem with balancing that way is that they have twice the chances to get shots on you with two planes than you can dish out with the one plane. If you don't even it out early, you're going down.

We used to call it the Snotling factor in Warhammer. "0 Dwarf crossbowmen can only shoot 20 enemy be it Ogre or Snotling. In a hord of Snotlings some are bound to make it , but it also shields your elite unit of six just behind. Lets fly a lot of B planes and split the fire.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

for players that young id not bother with special damage, reveal all damage cards and not use altitude. collisions would be an A damage card -1, so if u draw a 1 its a zero. limit missions to dogfights with fighters and gradually introduce missions versus observation balloons or ground targets. i would start keeping track of kills the kids make but not worry about your guys. just keeping a tally of kills they make should give them something to play for initially and later on u can introduce special Ace Skills like the ones in Keith's Knights of the Air campaign rules found here on this site happy hunting.