Ares Games

Thread: Auckland Players please call in

Default Auckland Players please call in

All Auckland players please introduce yourself, where you play and if you fancy a roadtrip to Tauranga to play WOW in October.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

We'd love to see you there, Chris, and any other wingmen you can lure from the squadron!

Hopefully there'll be a few local lads who are keen to take their kites to the sky and teach you big city folk a lesson or two, what-what!

Hi everyone,
    I was sold Wings of War by Karen over at King of Cards and so far, it looks quite interesting (I've yet to play a game but organising one at some point this week).

Question is, what is the Wings of War community like around Auckland? Is there a group of people who rock around and play it somewhere? Are there tournaments, etc. that are held?

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben.
    Welcome from the pilots based in Dear old Blighty.
    You should get a reply soon from your local Flight to tell you what is going down in your area.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Ben
    As I said in my PM welcome to the Drome.
    Linz

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by BananaLee View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was sold Wings of War by Karen over at King of Cards and so far, it looks quite interesting (I've yet to play a game but organising one at some point this week).

Question is, what is the Wings of War community like around Auckland? Is there a group of people who rock around and play it somewhere? Are there tournaments, etc. that are held?

Cheers,

Ben.
    Hi Ben,

Welcome to the 'drome!

As you probably know, Wings Of War is no longer being produced, but Wings Of Glory will take its place.

As far as the Auckland side of things goes, I will recommend Board Games By The Bay in July - we had a few pilots take part last year, but in Tauranga we set a national record for the largest game, so if you round up enough people eager to take to the skies, we may yet beat that record in Auckland!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Yeah, Chris has already PMed me and spoke a bit about organising a game over at KoC so it would be good.

I have noticed Wings of Glory showing up and how the new ones are going - I guess one has to rope me in to buy all the new stuff that are coming out! As it is, I'm already going pretty hard on Magic and am tempted to try out Flames of War - but it does look like WoG (is that even a polite term? ) would be simpler and slightly cheaper to play. *shrug* I'm sure there's enough room in my life to have multiple games.

Also, what is the national record?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dirty Harry
    Sorties Flown

Reporting! But unable to fly right now. Stuck in No-Man's-Land (real life)

Welcome to the Drome Grunt from here in the rather damp U.K.
    Rob..

Hi Grunt
    Hope you make it through the wire.
    Any way we can help?
    Linz

Welcome aboard, Grunt.
    If you're up in Auckland and keen for a game (once you're out of No Man's - is it.. Taumarunui? ), I'll be happy to run a wee one as well. I just got Famous Aces myself and I've decided to buy one minature for each of the aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dirty Harry
    Sorties Flown

Default Crawling thru the wire (work)

Welcome aboard, Grunt.
    If you're up in Auckland and keen for a game (once you're out of No Man's - is it.. Taumarunui? ), I'll be happy to run a wee one as well. I just got Famous Aces myself and I've decided to buy one minature for each of the aircraft.
    Hey fellow flyers! I have only at this stage Wings of War: Burning Drachens played several times only and a few dogfights with my kids...got shot down...hey it was 2 against one! Anyways I'm itching to put some holes thru something! Also working on an idea for a the earth below...the board I guess or playmat...Great to be here, wonderful site too!

I'm in Auckland Greenlane & work in large ad agency as an storyboard conceptual artist & an illustrator.

Chocks away chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    I'm in Auckland Greenlane & work in large ad agency as an storyboard conceptual artist & an illustrator.

Chocks away chaps!
    Welcome aboard. Looks like you have the right skills for a map! I'm half way through my boards...

I'm in Mission Bay and planning a get together for a few hours one day in the next few weeks. How about Sat 19th 10 - 5. Any takers? I'm also about to order some bombers form the US if anyone is interested.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dirty Harry
    Sorties Flown

Default Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    Welcome aboard. Looks like you have the right skills for a map! I'm half way through my boards...

I'm in Mission Bay and planning a get together for a few hours one day in the next few weeks. How about Sat 19th 10 - 5. Any takers? I'm also about to order some bombers form the US if anyone is interested.

Yep I'll be up for that sometime then...I better read up & play more before I fly against you with your 500 something missions!

I'll be keen for that - especially if KoC manages to get my miniatures.

Looking to buy in some of the bomber from the us. The come in at about NZD40-45. Anyone want me to pick them up one? PM me if interested.

Snowman

Hi all. Just reporting for duty. I reported way back win wings of war was first released and had a crack at the card only edition. I found it fun at first but it fell a little flat for me after a while. I've ordered the WoG WW2 starter set with some minis and am going to give it another try when it finally arrives. If it works I will probably get WW1 again. I'm hoping the minis will add a little more to the theme. Here's hoping I can get some sorties under my belt and keep flying this time.

Hi David.
    On behalf of the pilots based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome.
    I think that you will find it most stimulating, especially if you join us in the Officers' Mess for a small libation.
    Rob.

Hi David,
    Welcome aboard. I've also been exclusively palying the card version with my mates so far - but I've managed to get my hands on a SPAD and Albatros (Unsurprisingly, Camels and Fokkers are in short supply). Hit me up if you're keen for a game.

I believe Chris may be organising a biggish game at some point soon (*hinthint*)

Snowman

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Hi David.
    On behalf of the pilots based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome.
    I think that you will find it most stimulating, especially if you join us in the Officers' Mess for a small libation.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the welcome Rob

Snowman

Hi David,
    Welcome aboard. I've also been exclusively palying the card version with my mates so far - but I've managed to get my hands on a SPAD and Albatros (Unsurprisingly, Camels and Fokkers are in short supply). Hit me up if you're keen for a game.
    Hi Ben, I'm in West Auckland, where abouts are you?
    David

Hey Snowman... Welcome! The minis look cool, but I've been playing with cards for almost 8 years and only bothered to get half a dozen models... Maybe it fell flat 'cause you you were duelling the wrong opponents? See you on the road sometime.
    Max.

Snowman

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Hey Snowman... Welcome! The minis look cool, but I've been playing with cards for almost 8 years and only bothered to get half a dozen models... Maybe it fell flat 'cause you you were duelling the wrong opponents? See you on the road sometime.
    Max.
    Hi Max. My opponents were my young sons at the time. I have never played this against serious competition (-: It's an experiment for me. To be honest I was drawn to trying this again because of the minis. Hopefully I will enjoy the game more this time round. I'm generally more interested in operational and strategic level boardgames so tactical stuff is not my forte. I'm starting with WW2 purely because of their new starter set, but willing to fly both wars.

Hi David,
    Central City boy myself but happy to drive around anywhere.