Ares Games

Thread: SPAD XIII repaint suggestion

Default SPAD XIII repaint suggestion

So now i own a Baracca SPAD XIII but the left roundel is misplaced sothat ca 1/4 of the roundel is missing as it extends over the edge of the wing.
    My distributor will send me a new one so i can keep the misspainted Baracca.

So what to do i thought and i guess a repaint would be the best way. But as i have only limited knowledge about SPAD XIII paint schemes i ask you to provide me with ideas for a nice looking (and historical correct) scheme Clever huh?

Check this site: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww1/f/255/174/0#1

I am going to do a repaint of Baracca's SPAD XIII myself, probably tommorow. Nothing major, just some changes in the scheme so that it looks different.

You could always soak the decal with some micro-sol until it is loose. Then, slide it back to where it is supposed to be, and be done with it. Or, soak both roundels loose and replace them with two new ones. No paint involved at all. Another approach would to repaint and redecal only the side of the wing that is messed up.

David

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer53 View Post
    You could always soak the decal with some micro-sol until it is loose. Then, slide it back to where it is supposed to be, and be done with it. Or, soak both roundels loose and replace them with two new ones. No paint involved at all. Another approach would to repaint and redecal only the side of the wing that is messed up.

David
    On the other hand you could "go the whole Hog" & repaint like this one which is reputed to be coming in the Series 1 re-print.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=wow reprints Madon.jpg  Views: 89  Size: 110.8 KB  ID: 20779" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

David
    From my experience David, Micro Sol only softens the surface. it wont disolve the adhesive layer. All you achieve is a destroyed decal. Great for scratching them off,and replacing them as David suggests, but no good for re positioning. I would follow Barry's advice. It will give you less hassle in the long run.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    On the other hand you could "go the whole Hog" & repaint like this one which is reputed to be coming in the Series 1 re-print.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=wow reprints Madon.jpg  Views: 89  Size: 110.8 KB  ID: 20779" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Nice scheme, but I'd bet it'd be awhile before we see that SPAD, if ever. Unless someone does a repaint.

No way in replacing the misplaced roundel as it is damaged. See picture.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]20802[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P180811_13.15.jpg  

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Yup, time to repaint it! Try the red french livery that Barry suggested. That'd sure be purdy!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    From my experience David, Micro Sol only softens the surface. it wont disolve the adhesive layer. All you achieve is a destroyed decal. Great for scratching them off,and replacing them as David suggests, but no good for re positioning. I would follow Barry's advice. It will give you less hassle in the long run.
    Rob.
    It's been a long time since I have done it, but I'm pretty sure I have removed decals just using plain water. The glue is water soluble. (water slide decal) Even if the decal is destroyed, it is better than scratching it off, as the surface of the wing will be undamaged. Using a small paint prush, keep the decal wet until it can slide off. This can take several hours, don't let the decal dry. Micro-Sol may work even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    No way in replacing the misplaced roundel as it is damaged. See picture.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]20802[/ATTACH]
    Why is it not possible to remove the damaged roundel, and replace it with a new one? It does not seem like the entire model must be repainted just because the roundel is damaged. You will probably have to both the left and the right roundel so they match.

How about this one for you
    Spad XIII
    1lt G Defreest Larner SPA86

It's been a long time since I have done it, but I'm pretty sure I have removed decals just using plain water. The glue is water soluble. (water slide decal) Even if the decal is destroyed, it is better than scratching it off, as the surface of the wing will be undamaged. Using a small paint prush, keep the decal wet until it can slide off. This can take several hours, don't let the decal dry. Micro-Sol may work even faster.
    Micro sol is indeed good for softening the surface as long as you can penetrate any varnish overlying the decal. I was only trying to talk about the saving of the decal in my last post. With Micro Sol you can scratch the decal off with your finger nail as long as you keep applying the sol every few minutes. Once you get started and present more rough edges the Sol gets in easier. To remove the last traces of the decal I use a wooden cocktail stick.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Why is it not possible to remove the damaged roundel, and replace it with a new one? It does not seem like the entire model must be repainted just because the roundel is damaged. You will probably have to both the left and the right roundel so they match.
    Because i will be send a replacment. So i will have two Baraccas. The damaged one i want to repaint.