Ares Games

Thread: Paper model to resin model

Default Paper model to resin model

Hi guys.
    I thought I would start this thread for those of you who have been enquiring about the use of paper planes rescaled to 1/144 to add to your collections.
    I used to do a few paper 1/72 WW1 planes and made them into a nice hanging mobile for my son. Then I got into 1/144 scale so thought I would try to make some planes that were not available as kits in this scale.
    I rescaled a WW2 Walrus paper kit (an old 1960s kit from Poland) down to 1/144, made it up into it's major components and then made RTV molds of it after sealing the paper.
    I could then have multiple resin copies of the plane which I sold to people who had 1/144 RN ships to add the plane to!
    Here are some pictures of the paper master:
    Attachment 20428
    Attachment 20427

Here are the resin castings I made from them:
    Attachment 20429

And here are two pics of my finished version:
    Attachment 20431
    Attachment 20430

As you can see it is a fairly basic model. I have since redone it from a carved wooden master and turned it into something a bit closer to the proper shape!!
    As you can see from this nice diorama that Carlos Briz made featuring one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PeterPlanes, Pithead, Pendraken 2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	20432

So guys it is possible to turn those paper planes into something more durable but it is probably only woorth the effort if you already have the casting materials.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walrus painted.jpg   walrus painted1.jpg   walrus parts 1.jpg   walrus side 1.jpg   walrus top 1.jpg  

Last edited by pbhawkin; 08-15-2011 at 02:42. Reason: trying to correct picture attachments!!

Sorry about the way the attachements have worked out but do you think I can get them to display iin the right areas!!!

Very cool
    Have used the paper as a shin over the resin?
    Interested in the process you used can you pleas explain it better?
    Linz

The plane is great. You should make a tutorial and upload the components so the others could print it and put it toegether. I hope you will make more similar models of other planes. Congratulations.

Great stuff !
    Could you do a walk-thru, or list the materials involved...
    I`m keen to have a go myself
    Cheers
    Batesyboy

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    Great stuff !
    Could you do a walk-thru, or list the materials involved...
    I`m keen to have a go myself
    Cheers
    Batesyboy
    Nice job peter i like the look of the finished casting do you pour or inject into the mold ?
    Lee
    i have made a number of RTV Silicone moulds for other war games bases and other bits not thought of using it for planes !!
    materials i use are lego to make the box to house the master , plastersine to bed the master, (there are some good how to on you tube)
    General purpose RTV Silicone mould making rubber ,polytec easy flow liquid plastic, mold release spray
    http://www.mbfg.co.uk/
    i have used these for all of the above materials good price great service
    hope this helps
    Mike
    Last edited by Rommel; 08-15-2011 at 15:15.

Hi all.
    It is not that complicated but rather more time consuming.
    I reduce the paper model to 1/144 by using a photocopy machine (it doesn't need scanning as colour or surface detail is not imprtant). Then I make the plane up into sections that I think will cast easily (wings, fuselage, tailplane, etc).
    As Mike mentioned I used Lego blocks on a Lego plate to make a suitable sized box (leaving at least 1 cm clear of any part) and pour in a little RTV silicone (usually 1 lego deep). I do not usually use plastacine as I find it hard and time consuming to remove! Once this layer is set I then place the part to be used as a master on it and pour in more RTV until it comes up at least 1/2 way on the master (depending on the shape, such as the Walrus, I poured the RTV until it was up to 1/2 way on the wing). Once this is set I then coat with vaseline and pour the top half of the mold. I sometimes use guide holes and pegs for locating the two halves but more frequently I leave a edge of the lower RTV section NOT coated with vaseline so the top half bonds to it and this acts as a hinge and means of locating the two halfs together.
    I have a vacuum pump (bought off Ebay for degassing refrigertors) which I use to degas the RTV (makes for a better quality mold and longer lasting) and then by changing the lid I have a pressure pump (using a cheap 2Hp compressor) and after pouring in resin into the mold and putting a small weight on top to keep the halves flush I pressurize it to about 40Lbp (this causes any air trapped in to become microscopic allowing a really smooth surface with NO pinholes!).
    Once cast and assembed detail bits like radiators are added.
    I have a collection of cast props and wheels which I use as well.
    I have moved away from this method as the paper masters were delicate and not detailed enough to my satisfaction. Although I could/should have spent more time detailing them prior to making the mold!
    Hope this helps?

HOW exactly does one create a 'How to' ? I can see ones created by others but there is no obvious way to start a new one!
    Last edited by pbhawkin; 08-15-2011 at 22:39.