Ares Games

Thread: Amazing site for color scheme ideas

Default Amazing site for color scheme ideas

I post little, but I hope it's allowed to post this link
    http://www.wwiaviation.com/gallery-fokker_dri.html

There is much more if you start from here
    http://www.wwiaviation.com/

However, for sheer inspiration, when I reached the fokker page, it was overwhelming and I had to share it.

James

Nice - but leaves you guessing as to what color the top sides were....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Nice - but leaves you guessing as to what color the top sides were....
    Stuart, if you look carefully you can actually see the colour on the edge of the Top wing etc however you are correct that it does not show any letters, stripes etc on top wing or tail. Very nice sie though. I have bookmarked it!

It is a nice site; it's where I got a lot of profiles from for some of the polls. Beside the lack of top views, it also lacks identifying info on the pilots and squadrons. But the categorization system is killer!

Great site James. Thanks for sharing.
    I added it to my favorites bar.

Just found the Belgians!

Thanks for that!

Nice link thanks , not perfect but still a useful site .

WIBee

Thanks for the comments on my site. In answer to some of the criticisms I know there are some weak spots. It is a one person operation and a work in progress so not everything is completed to my satisfaction. On top views many times there is no solid information on what was or was not there. Most times it is conjectural at best. It has been a matter of time, server space and lack of information. On the information on a particular plane, I am gathering what I can find and plan on bare bones info on them. I have started reordering the German planes by unit (Jasta, Kesta, etc) Eventually there will be individual pages for them. It all takes time, I have done almost 800 profile drawings in the past 18 months, so there is bound to be a few growing pains.

tis one great site. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WIBee View Post
    Thanks for the comments on my site. In answer to some of the criticisms I know there are some weak spots. It is a one person operation and a work in progress so not everything is completed to my satisfaction. On top views many times there is no solid information on what was or was not there. Most times it is conjectural at best. It has been a matter of time, server space and lack of information. On the information on a particular plane, I am gathering what I can find and plan on bare bones info on them. I have started reordering the German planes by unit (Jasta, Kesta, etc) Eventually there will be individual pages for them. It all takes time, I have done almost 800 profile drawings in the past 18 months, so there is bound to be a few growing pains.
    Wow, it's great to have you here! Your work is fantastic! I hope you take our criticism constructively.

You make an excellent point about the accuracy of top views when there is no real supporting photos. I suppose most interpretations fall back to standard schemes based on the date of production of the individual aircraft. I'm very happy to hear you are still working on organization and adding details.

One of my current wishes is for a nice, big glossy book full of color profiles like yours. The Osprey (40 profiles) and the current "hot" essential identification guide book (200 color profiles) are very nice, but I'm talking about a book with 1200+ profiles. I know you'd be talking 300pp+ for something like that, but maybe in two volumes (Entente & Central Powers; Fighters & 2 seaters/bombers?) it would work.

Best of luck with your continuing work - I'll be following your progress!

WIBee

Thanks Kev. I appreciate criticism, it gives you more constructive ideas than merely hearing great job. I also have a blog that ties into my main site. I use that for more opinionated discussion. I try to keep the main site a balanced view. My original concept for the site when I started it 11 years ago was to popularize the period with a general audience through a site made to look like a coffee table book. If you or anyone needs more detailed information on an aircraft you can always email me and I will see what I can do to provide it.

Default Welcome, Will

Color me dumbfounded.

I apologize for not making the obvious connection - the site's owner might find our hobby as cool as we do.

It should have been a natural thing, and I feel kind of like a dope for not giving you that consideration.

In any case, I am glad you took the time to visit the Aerodrome, and I thank you for the time, effort, and care you put into your site. It rocks.

James

WIBee

No worries James. Thank you for your kind words. I lurk at a lot of forums. Modeling and gaming is what got me into what has turned me into a would be illustrator/writer. It is always good to find others who share a love of the period. The more people who are searching for information the richer the wealth in historical knowledge we have to benefit the communities who keep alive the memory of what has gone before and the sacrifices made during the Great War.

WIBee

Thank you Tommy.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Great site James. Thanks for sharing.
    I added it to my favorites bar.
    Me too!