Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody built any Paper Models ?

Thumbs down Has anybody built any Paper Models ?

Hi Folks, Batesyboy here.
    I was wondering if anybody has built or attempted to build any paper/card models
    If so, what is their survivability like ?
    I know my good friend Getter 1 has built some on commission, so could you please relate experiences with these
    Cheers
    Batesyboy

Hi Lee, not yet dared have a go at a card yet, but as it seems the only way to get a Roland single seater is using card I am going to have a bash at one after my 2 seater painting comp entry. Will keep you posted

Hey Chris, I`ve got both the D2 and DVIa/b already drawn up...give us a shout if i haven`t sent you either....
    Gonna have to learn to keep records one day ....lol

NP Lee think it was you who sent me the D2

The reason i ask, is that there is a wealth of aircraft and liveries
    out there.
    Granted they are all differing scales and some will need simplification to be rendered at 1/144th.
    As already mentioned, Getter 1 has done some excellent work doing commissioned builds, and Roman (der kampfflieger) 1/72nd scale models are the best for the parts actually fitting together.
    In my area (South east London) there are neither regular or local wow meetings for me to guage what the requirements are so all feed back would be appreciated...
    Cheers
    Batesyboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1790.jpg   DSCF1782.jpg   DSCF1756.jpg   bus 6.jpg   be2e top.jpg  

I'm going to take the opportunity and turn the question around: is it easier or harder to assemble card over traditional plastic/metal? The ability (if you have the proper graphics program) to change paint schemes is impressive.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl,
    For me, i find it easier to work on the computer to do paint work or make up decal skins for modelling at 1/144th
    All artwork can be blown up to get the smallest details right, then reduced to fit.
    As an example, here are a set of Airco DH5`s that i have designed and built from accredited scale drawings.
    All from the same artwork (by me) which i have printed out at...
    Peanut Scale (13 inch span rubber powered flying model)
    1/48th Scale
    1/72nd Scale
    and the WOW scale 1/144th

I find building with paper/card easier than scratchbuilding with plasticard
    I find building with whitemetal (revisco or skytrex) harder still
    and finally finishing with paint the hardest of all
    Cheers
    Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1947.jpg   DSCF1941.jpg   DSCF1940.jpg   DSCF1950.jpg   DSCF1765.jpg  

Lee you are truly King of the card builders.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hey Lee,

I haven't heard back about those commission pieces in action. I did use some of mine however and they hold up just fine. Too bad I couldn't shoot down that O-400 :P It killed 2 of my fighters :P

G1

Good to see you back here G1 !
    I o.d` on building so haven`t done any for a few months...
    I think once i get started again, i`ll do a set of Martinsyde busses !
    The Buzzards are drawn, G3 (rolls engine) and G4 (hispano engine)
    Still got to finish the `Elephant` and haven`t started the S1 as yet.
    Have you campaigned your cardie o400 yet ?
    Cheers
    Batesyboy

Hey Lee,

Yeah after those commission builds I took a break to do other things. Currently trying to button up a Martin B-10 for my nephew, that and a monsterous robot model.

The O-400 was used only once so far. It's really hard to get my opponent over for games. Life gets in the way of fun all too often :P

G1

Lee!

Never an airplane but a few buildings in the past! I love your builds!

Rich

Flying Dutchman

Very nice I didnt think you could get that deatil in paper at 1/144

Hi Again,
    Thinking of custom building my card models...
    already have a few enquiries...
    but what would be a fair price ?

...and should this be a separate thread....?
    Cheers
    Batesyboy

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    Karl,
    For me, i find it easier to work on the computer to do paint work or make up decal skins for modelling at 1/144th
    All artwork can be blown up to get the smallest details right, then reduced to fit.
    As an example, here are a set of Airco DH5`s that i have designed and built from accredited scale drawings.
    All from the same artwork (by me) which i have printed out at...
    Peanut Scale (13 inch span rubber powered flying model)
    1/48th Scale
    1/72nd Scale
    and the WOW scale 1/144th

I find building with paper/card easier than scratchbuilding with plasticard
    I find building with whitemetal (revisco or skytrex) harder still
    and finally finishing with paint the hardest of all
    Cheers
    Lee
    And how did you bend the card so precise?

You are a great builder.

There is an excellent walkthrough by `Getter 1` on building card models on this site.
    all fold lines are scored with a scriber and a steel edge ruler...
    One of the best things about card models is...if you make a mistake, print another part !

You do have a point.

There is an excellent walkthrough by `Getter 1` on building card models on this site.
    all fold lines are scored with a scriber and a steel edge ruler...
    One of the best things about card models is...if you make a mistake, print another part !
    I saw the walkthrough, but still don't understand where does he find those parts that he prints later, and, of course, puts toegether.

Hi `Jimmy`
    I meant print out and make up several copies of each part and select the best!
    Most card models are available as downloads, you would need to resize existing kits to 1/144th scale,
    and print several copies when you have sized them correctly.
    I have made a BE2 freely available in the files section, perhaps print out larger versions to practice your card modelling
    skills before taking the plunge at 1/144th scale
    ATB
    Batesyboy

greetings, Lee

I searched all files and still can't seem to find anything useful. I would be grateful if you would tell me the subdirectory where you found that.

If you type

Be2c Freebie !!!

In the `advanced search` box at the top of the page....
    that will get you to the thread
    The 17th entry has a link in blue which will get you there
    Print out on heavy paper or light card.
    Cheers Lee

Very cool, already got Freebie. Thank you! Going to try it once I get ink!

The reason i ask, is that there is a wealth of aircraft and liveries
    out there.
    Granted they are all differing scales and some will need simplification to be rendered at 1/144th.
    Is that fourth photo a DH.1 or an FE.2? Irrespective of the answer, where did you get it? I'm keen to get one and build it...

Cheers
    Allan
    --
    Historical Aviation Film Unit: http://www.aviationfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiAce View Post
    Is that fourth photo a DH.1 or an FE.2? Irrespective of the answer, where did you get it? I'm keen to get one and build it...

Cheers
    Allan
    --
    Historical Aviation Film Unit: http://www.aviationfilm.com

Hi Allan,
    It`s actually a Vickers FB5 Gunbus that i designed myself a few months ago.
    I have a few models to complete before i do an instruction sheet....
    watch this space !

I fly my "Paper Scourge" once a month with the Portland Couch Pilots club at Katie O'Brien's. These are old pics, all the planes now have the whisker rigging.

Here's the thread from last summer:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...=paper+scourge

-Joe

If you type

Be2c Freebie !!!

In the `advanced search` box at the top of the page....
    that will get you to the thread
    The 17th entry has a link in blue which will get you there
    Print out on heavy paper or light card.
    Cheers Lee
    Thanks.

Hi guys.
    I have started a new thread about making resin models from paper planes after they have been rescaled.

Fantastic Mr Demon !
    You are more than welcome to have a bash at the Be2 model (all details above)
    Do you find your eindeckers robust enough over the course of time ?
    I like the `fimo` engines idea, i have cast a few (fully cowled) with resin in plasticine molds...paper modelers look upon
    this as cheating...lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

where di you get the checkered brisfit? I have done the Fiddlersgreen versions and got very good results. I will also note the Fiddlersgreen models are quite nice to assemble. I have the entire WWI range on disk and heartily recommend them.

Hi Garth,
    The chequered Brisfit `Crocodile` Is a Fiddlers Green repaint.
    I sent `Fyn` a copy a few months ago.
    One of the Chaps on here recently bought a copy of their standard Brisfit, and my version comes free with it.

Batesy: they've held up rather well to play. They were made just for the game with every intention of fighting among the other minis. I've flown all four in formation (well, for the first few turns at least) at least 14 times now. A couple of whiskers have popped off the paper, but that's all the damage they've taken. My main fear is water damage, but now that the club plays on the pool table (away from the beers and coffee) there's less chance of that. I'm thinking of trying out the Morane Saulnier N as my next paper project. I have the files, just waiting for the bug to bite me again. It's only so often I'm motivated enough to go through with such painstaking stuff.

I just finished a green Fokker Dr.1 designed by Olli Bizer.
    It was reduced to 1/144 scale and mounted on a card to be used in the Wings of War game.
    Wing span is 5.0 cm.
    Coin diameter is 2.4 cm.
    The Dr. 1 can be downloaded here:
    http://olli.maquettes-papier.net/

Cool !
    Nice idea with the dowel and base card...may have to develop this....lol !

Having shake hands I think card models would be to fragile in my hands, could the paper model plans be adapted to make the plans for balsa wood models in 1/144 scale?

The dowel is a round toothpick cut at 5 cm.
    The base card was made using Openoffice Draw.
    The base card was glued on thin corrugated cardboard from a large cereal box.
    I could post the basecards file in the Files Section as either a PDF or ODG file.
    If you are willing to install Openoffice on your computer, it is easy to make new base cards.

Balsa wood ?
    You could try to print on regular paper and glue it onto thin balsa but I really think that it would be easier to build in paper.
    I have carpal tunnel in both hands but do not have much trouble working with paper.
    The model was printed on 32 Lb laser copy paper (not regular 20 Lb paper).
    I print most of my card models on 67 Lb cardstock.

The cardstock machine guns for the Green Dr.1 did not look like machine guns.
    I used grass stems instead and painted them black.

Doug, The paper plans can easily be used for wood or even plastic card patterns. I've seen a lot of scratch building books and the methods they use are almost identical to papercraft

Zakopious, That's cool I like the simple construction. That would make for a quick trun out of pieces. Instead of the grass stems you could use thin plastic rod from Evergreen. That or cut pieces of straight pins. That's what I used before getting good enough to roll em that tight.

Rum Demon, That's a mighty impresive lay out of Eindeckers

I had a bit of an accident last week that kept me from doing much of anything. I got my right index finger caugth by a 200 lb. concrete block. Smashed it good and it's still healing but I'm back at the desk agian :P

G1

Good call G1. I have to admit I'm a bit like Rum Demon's post - I have to be in the right mood to tackle a card model, otherwise I'm afraid I'll rush it and just screw it all up. So, my air force builds sloooowly.

Doug

Doug, with some practice you will find they build pretty fast

G1

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Just finished the Be2 "freebee" thanks for the great models. I have a question for those venerable zpaper model hands out there. In construction of multipart round or oval fuse sections I run into some difficulty at 1/144th scale. The Hanriot HD3 was good but a Sa2 with no fewer than 6 sections is a real bear on alignment and matching joints for a uniform appearance. Any hints?
    I will note I have managed the entire Dr1 collection form fiddlers green (nice plane fun builds all), the SPAD collection ( two parts but a really colorful group that is the fans choice at demos. The Brisfit is a great plane to begin with( just re-downloaded the 'crocodile" it next up on the board. along with a flock of neiuports .

I must say that I take my hat off to you chaps. the sheer manual dexterity required to produce paper models of such quality in this scale is mind blowing even for an old hand like myself. Keep them coming chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Default Latest paper models

For those of you guys who haven`t seen my latest builds...
    Will be adding some pic`s featuring my paper and cocktail stick flight pegs soon
    ATB
    Batesyboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1756.jpg   quirk new 1.jpg   harlequin cardie.jpg  

I'll say it again: Those are amazing!

Hi all, I'm new here (Getter 1 invited me over from papermodelers) and haven't actually played yet, but this does sound like something i could get into. Oh yes and Ive been doing some 1:144 builds so I thought I would chime in on this thread.

Those Fiddler's Green models look great.
    Are they 1/144 scale ?
    How big are the small squares on the cutting mat ?

Thanks and yes they are 1/144, the squares are 1/4 inch. Oh and just to pass this along, Fabrizio Prudenziati has some nice models here that scale down well, Im building one of his Dr1's now.
    In lots of liveries too!
    http://www.zioprudenzio.it/fok-air.html

Lt Blackwater

I am working on a Fokker Vll and a Gotha along with a Albatross. The Alby is a pain in the butt due to the round fuselage but I will master it. I am doing them in 1/72nd scale
    P

I am also building two of Fabrizio Prudenziati's Sopwith Camels in 1/144 scale.
    Will post picture when finished.

Lt Blackwater

WOW!!!!!!!! But how much do you size down the plane to get to the 1/144th scale. I have several of their models (FG) and would like to make them in 1/144th
    Peter

Great looking planes there Josh.
    I did one of his (Fabrizio Prudenziati's) ships (I think) a few years ago and have his planes too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast