Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you own the Zeppelin Staaken?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

44 50.00%
  • It's on my short list to get.

14 15.91%
  • No.

30 34.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you fly a Zeppelin Staaken?

Default Do you fly a Zeppelin Staaken?

Just wondering how many of you have and use the Skytrex Zeppelin Staaken mini?

Hi

On the work bench as I reply

Paul

Have yes, use no - still awaiting it's turn in the paint queue.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

It's in my wish-list!

It is built and as soon as I get all 4 engins started it will fly. It was a fun build now just need to make stand then she will be ready to go

60% finished on a scratch build, wish I had known about this before I started.

Unfortunately, I do not posess the talent or patience to assemble & paint such a fine craft. That's why I am a huge fan of pre-painted mini's.

"a man's got to know his limitations"

I of course voted Yes... but mine is still in the construction queue, which has been moving very slowly for me for the last few months as you know. I am sure it will see some serious use once I get it built and painted (soon I hope.)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

The construction queue

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/att...9&d=1312356363

Luckily I have no other life

I have one in my pile waiting to be built & painted.

Scratch built one months ago have only used it a couple of times.
    Linz
    PS I voted yes

Couple of years ago I got a Skytrex AEGIII was a real bastard to put together in the end I had to get a friend to finish making it and painting it. I was very happy with the end result I am happy with what I have got and am not considering any more large WW1 bombers.

I have to say no. But I will play with Cowman's when he gets his done.

Tom

Anyone know if the official card size in FoG would be sufficient in size for a base for the mini? Thinking about doing a short run of them.

It should be large enough to support the model but I think you will need more than one peg.
    The Felixstowe has an 8" wing span and I use three pegs on are card sized base for that but thats more to reduce my stress level than the models balance.

The Staaken is 11 1/2" so one under each wing should do.

Yes it is Herr Oberst. It only needs one peg, but I did thread mine in the end to make it even more secure. and on reflection,I would have used thicker plastic rod for the Staaken more like the balloons ones. I made a minimum height peg, like the balloons, but flight peg thickness, and then put the four flight pegs into it. You would be safer for this plane with two rods for tourney play if the thinner rods are used.
    Pics to follow.
    Rob.

Here are the pics. You can compare them with the H.P.ones.

DSC_0542.jpg

Here the breakdown shows the dials on the reduced shoulder and the screw threaded part.
    DSC_0547.jpg
    here is the assembled flight stand at a height of ten pegs high.
    DSC_0546.jpg
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 08-04-2011 at 06:45. Reason: adding pics.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

SkyTrex - Nope. If/when Shapeways comes out with one, then yes. Currently, Clipper1801 is going to scratch build me a couple, plus a couple of 0/400's.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Anyone know if the official card size in FoG would be sufficient in size for a base for the mini? Thinking about doing a short run of them.
    Just seen the wingco reply so that will do for me herr Oberst, would this ahem limited run also run for a Handley base too

Yes they would. The peg size could be an issue though. I tend to agree with Rob that it would be better to use a larger peg. The problem is what pegs would you guys use? I don't think the Balloon pegs are tapered like the smaller one. So, they will not "snap" into the bases like my smaller ones do. I could add a second and/or third peg to the base, but that means you guys would have to line up mounting points with the peg locations. You would also have to modify two - three pegs to go into the base.

Thoughts?

Could the base be made double thickness, to give more stability for the larger models, then just have the pegs same size as the balloon pegs with a hole drilled into the double thickness base with a small chamfer to take full pressure off the peg stalk.
    This would mean getting some thicker balloon type pegs made, but this could be done on a confirmed pre-order basis maybe.

As I said before in the Handley Page Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Sorry guys, but I am totaly against using any plane model other than the WoW ones in Wings of War. So no. I don't

Maybe one long peg with a altitude wheel on the base.

Tom

Rob, again (and again and again...) :

Amazing pics!

I can do double thickness bases (1/4 of an inch). I've actually done a couple of the small bases like this just for testing. The pegs are still a problem. Wonder if I could get a short peg done up that you could glue into the base and then use the official balloon pegs for the rest of the height needed. I'm assuming that 99% of us that will be flying these monsters will also own at least one balloon... and that they will not be on the table at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I can do double thickness bases (1/4 of an inch). I've actually done a couple of the small bases like this just for testing. The pegs are still a problem. Wonder if I could get a short peg done up that you could glue into the base and then use the official balloon pegs for the rest of the height needed. I'm assuming that 99% of us that will be flying these monsters will also own at least one balloon... and that they will not be on the table at the same time!
    Anti Bomber Balloon Barrage Herr Oberst. Having said that, they arn't winched down, so it would be easy to substitute a plastic rod for the pegs ane then use the pegs as you suggest. Incidentally the balloon barrage is the reason that all my Giants bomb from high up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

With my Staarken being made from plastic I can use the standard WOW pegs and a base made from perspex. This applies to my Caproni and 0/400.
    Linz

No, I don't. For some reason I don't play much with bombers...

Again a serious incident of thread necromancing.

Anyways - if I'm here - I can vote.

I have no Zeppelin Staaken miniature, but hope for a WGF heavy bomber Kick Starter.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I bought 2 just before the price hike at Shapeways. One is primed so not quite ready to fly.

Converted to bomber pegs it is now much more stable. Have flown it once unsuccessful bombing run with very little damage taken

Received it, drooled over it, not yet flown it. First outing planned for next Thursday Club night.

I now have 3 R.VIs and an R.IV. Just enough for the maximum sized raid mounted on London.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Voted no because I never knew about the Skytrex and as far as the Ares WGF Giants go I am a long way off being eligible to fly one of these just yet.

I also never placed an order for either of the Kickstarter Editions of the Staaken so it's more than likely I'll end up getting one of the pleb editions instead: Thing is though after some of the top wing-join and engine nacelle reports I have been reading so far I want to see if the problems with these improve over time before buying these GBP £50.00-plus

Ops!
    I voted.
    But it's an Ares and not a Skytrex I have...

I bought one of the Skytrex Zeppelin Staaken's some time ago, before Skytrex sold their range to Red Eagle Miniatures. However, since buying it it has languished in my pile of unbuilt & unpainted kits & figures.

Just got the Ares Staaken's though from the Kickstarter so will be making sure they get an outing very shortly.

I have the Kickstarter version. I'm going to fly that one.

Dito. Flying the Ares one.

Yell

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtschwärmer View Post
    Dito. Flying the Ares one.
    Ditto me too one day. Voted that it is on my to-do list.

When i can get a bank loan I will definitely partake of one

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

BOTH Kickstarter Editions FTW! Never played 'em, never really taken 'em out of the boxes, but they *are* among my collection...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

JSMSTAAKEN.jpgI have had a balsa one from JSMWarplanes for a long time and now I also have one of the official ARES kickstarter models. We have played a few games with them and actually shot one down once or twice. Lot of aircraft, lot of defensive fire, and a lot of fun.

As you can see, the balsa one is not as detailled as the official product but I have added props and peter pig gunners too.
    Last edited by Baxter; 05-07-2016 at 20:07.

Unhappy

Oh Crap!
    I saw this & thought it was a new poll for the Kickstarter Zep Staaken.
    Only after I voted I noticed the date & that it referred to a Skytrex model.
    Doh!

I have three and have flown them two or three times but never all together.
    like somebody above me I did not realise we were talking about Skytrex models. My Staakens are all Ares.
    I did have a Skytrex Gotha G.V once but I found it very heavy and got rid of it. I do have a fair selection of Skytrex single seaters bothe 1st and 2nd WW.
    Last edited by Rebel; 10-29-2019 at 17:08. Reason: Misunderstanding.

I answered the poll before I realised that it was about Skytrex models because the name Skytrex was not in the wording of the question. I only own the Ares Staaken models and I have not flown one in a game yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Ops!
    I voted.
    But it's an Ares and not a Skytrex I have...
    Me too - duh but I have had it in the table on numerous Tuesday nights (our group’s regular gaming night)

Obviously this is still popular topic, I'll start a thread with Z-S and H-P for updating playing stats when I'll be on PC, not just in smart phone.

Dates, gentlemen, Dates!

Always look at the date the Poll was created before you vote; in 2011 there was no 'Ares' Staaken, so the name "Skytrex" was superfluous to the thread title.....
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thread necromancers at work.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast