Ares Games

Thread: Shapeways? Poor service? Am I alone on this?

Default Shapeways? Poor service? Am I alone on this?

I ordered 3 planes in June. They went in production the 14 of June. I emailed for a status on the 20th of July. I was told that they were printed but not polished. Did I want them polished I was asked. I told them sure polish them I can wait a bit. The following day I recieved an email saying that they were sorry they could not polish them. Did I want them to ship what they had and get a coupon for the difference($5.00) I said ship. An email the following day (July 22) said that they would ship out that same day. Nothing since then. You guys in the US how long did it take for your orders to be processed? I hope these things are worth the wait. At this point I am not impressed with their customer service.
    Tony

Making me glad I did not order any yet... sounds like they have bugs to work out!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Bob Little

Hi all
    I am more than happy. I oredered a Sopwith Triplane and a Macchi jet, within a day I was told the Triplane was not available due to a glitch, but my jet arrived in Australia within a week, I am very happy with the quality of the plane and will be ordering more.

Cheers
    Ron

Hi

As with Ron I also have had no problems. They have kept me in the loop via email and delivery dates have been on the dot or earlier. I was a bit disappointed with the wing detail of a Junkers I purchased (haven't followed up as I thought I should be able to fix) but all other miniatures have been fine. Likewise they will be getting some more of my hard earned dollars.

Paul

I've placed several orders over the last 6 months and I'll be placing a huge one when I get paid on Friday . No problems at all with the models received, and all arrived within a fortnight of ordering. Got e-mails when in production, when completed and with tracking information for the (extremely well packed) parcel. You get a delivery date when you order, which is updated in your order status drop-down when you log in, and they've always beat their estimate by a few days in my experience.

My sopwith triplane arrived yesterday and it is superb.
    I have had three aircraft delivered and all are fine.
    The sopwith did take 2 months to arrive buy I'm not complaining about the quality.

Stan, what finish did you order for the Tripehound?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by macka321 View Post
    My sopwith triplane arrived yesterday and it is superb.
    I have had three aircraft delivered and all are fine.
    The sopwith did take 2 months to arrive buy I'm not complaining about the quality.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

There are lots of negative press for Shapeways in the huge DR.I thread that is on going. It seems that the customer service and models are pretty hit or miss.

Shapeways customer service"?" is a joke. I ended up canceling my order.

Their reply to an email requesting a status report:
    Hi Tony,

I don't know why this hasn't been shipped to you, but I have just been
    downstairs and asked them to make sure this will be shipped to you today.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
    With kind regards

I left off the persons name.

Karl
    The Trip was in frosted ultra detail
    the Fokker DVII was in white polished
    the Junkers was in black
    all were fine but the tripe and the fokker were exel
    the junkers in black was average

Thumbs up

As I mentioned in the Sopwith Triplane thread my 2 Tripes came quickly & there were no problems.
    Pics attached of the one I have not yet undercoated or given a light sand to.
    The finish is Frosted ultra detail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shapeways Triplane 1.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	18486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shapeways Triplane 2.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	18487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapeways Triplane 3.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	18488

Barry, have any pics of the one you undercoated in white? My DR.Is in FUD looked that good raw as well. Once coated they looked like there were made out of sandpaper

I bought 2 Tripes in different finishes so that I could see the difference between the two. These were strong, white & flexible (SWF) for the first and Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD) for the second. The first one, SWF, was delivered very quickly indeed and apart from the finish being a 'little rough' was pretty good. The FUD model took some time to be put into production but the finish was great - I am really impressed. Both models were ordered on 10-Jun with the SWF being delivered somewhere around the 20th, the FUD was delivered towards the end of Jul.

I will admit communication wasnt brilliant from Shapeways with regard to the delay for the FUD but on their website they did say that other finishes would take more time. After receiving both aircraft I am happy enough with their service and would use them again.

Thanks Stan
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by macka321 View Post
    Karl
    The Trip was in frosted ultra detail
    the Fokker DVII was in white polished
    the Junkers was in black
    all were fine but the tripe and the fokker were exel
    the junkers in black was average
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

UPS tracking places my package in Louisville Ky. Looks like squeeking wheel gets greased.
    Tony

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I, and Clipper1801, have placed several orders and have had no problems with what we received, within 3 weeks of ordering. I've had an order of 5 planes 2 DrI's, 2 Tripes, & a DVII in FUD cancelled, but I reordered them and am supposed to get them by Monday, August 8. I've stated elsewhere that, in my experience, the lower cost White Strong Flexible has worked the best for me.

My Models arrived yesterday. They are OK the Junkers looks like a topographic map. Layers built up, looks like contour lines on a map. The tripes are much the same just finer detail more like ripples. I will post picks of my attempts to "smooth" the surface.
    Tony

I had a chance today to take some pics of the planes I got. They a done in Strong white and flexible. They were supposed to be polished but that didn't happen due to technical issues at Shapeways end. I have started an album that I will update as my attempts to produce a smoother finish progress.

Tony

Yeargh! They're pretty foul. If I was you, I'd have sent those pictures to Shapeways and told them the models weren't acceptable. There's something far wrong when quite a few of you are getting results like that. I've bought a number of small, highly detailed models from them (in Transparent Detail) which were near-perfect, so it's not as if the technology isn't capable of producing good results.

This seems to be a systemic problem: none of the Shapeways models I've received are remotely like that. It's as if only one layer in 2 is being printed, at double thickness. A friend did have a Junkers D1 suffering the same layering - mine did not. I'll see if we can get a photo of the two together, to illustrate to Shapeways that the problem is not a "one-off", but affects perhaps 10% of their product.

This effect is not acceptable, and the model defective.

You think they would excercise some quality control. I understand that its only a portion of models are "printed" like that, but why even ship it out the door?

I am going to try to make something from these. I waited over 30 days for these and I will be damed if I am going to toss them out. But I will not be doing any additional purchases from Shapeways until their quality control passes muster. The tripes are nicely formed and look great from a distance. My plan is to come up with something that gently fills the irregularities on the Junkers then excute the same process on the Tripes. Some have used floor wax I have some gloss spray Varathane that will be my first try. Wish me luck I will post updates with additional photos.
    Tony

I wonder if possibly they aren't aware of this as a quality issue .. possibly this is how all things made like this come out and we are just more detail oriented.. send those pics to them and see what they say.. can't hurt..

Gunnar,
    Read Zoe's post above. It appears to be inconsistant production to me. If I remember correctly they sub out some of their production. Perhaps this is part of the problem. Some subs may not be using the most optimum printer for the model rather one that is "adequate". At any rate I am not going to purchase any additional models for awhile. I should say that the design work is fantastic. Its the execution of his work that leaves room for major improvement.
    Tony

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1816.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	19994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1821.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	19995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1820.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	19996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1817.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	19997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1818.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	19998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1819.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	19999On occasion the FUD goes t*ts up too (as with my Sopwith Triplanes)
    I sent them these pictures, and three follow up emails, all of which were ignored !
    This puts me in a difficult position as Roman is a good friend, we correspond quite regularly.
    On one hand i want to give his excellent design work all the support i can, but Shapeways keep
    dropping the ball.

As they ignored my repeated requests for replacements, i decided to repair the
    Triplanes the best that i could. these repairs also feature in the picture sequence.

And by the way, the fully coloured Triplane is my card model, which i have designed.
    It goes to illustrate that i don`t have to tolerate Shapeways....but i want to support Roman`s excellent
    designs
    Last edited by batesyboy; 08-07-2011 at 23:17. Reason: missed a bit !

Lee--great job of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Its a pity you haven't heard anything back from Shapeways. They seem to run at both ends of the spectrum, either they do a great job or a really lousy one.

Some may be aware from the DR1 Shapeways thread, that I have not been overly impressed with Shapeways with my first order taking weeks to arrive then when they finally did arrive the models looked like they had been knitted. To their credit Shapeways offered me a refund which I used to order one of their DVII, 2 Sopwith Triplanes and another go at the DR1. This order was made on 26 July. The models arrived today 8 August, 13 days, impressive.
    As for the models, I ordered in WSF the DR1 & DVII, the two Tripehounds in BSF, the only option other than red at the time.
    Here are the results

The DR1 is ok but looks as is made from polystirene, however the knitted pattern is not there only the ribbing on the wings so a lot happier with this model, will see how it undercoats and paints up.

The two Triphounds, hmmm no breakages as some have had, but one was missing its prop, sure I can replace or come up with something here so not a problem. These going to be Naval 10 so again see how they paint, but these do feel a bit flexible and fragile

The DVII, I like the kit form , but, the holes on the underneath of the top wing are not all there. So Ill have to drill slightly the wing to get the holes aligned. Plus the struts pins are not smooth so not sure if they willl fit into the pre-drilled holes.
    I will post pics when they have been done.

But this order is far superior in quality and speed than the original so things look as is they are getting better

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    I wonder if possibly they aren't aware of this as a quality issue .. possibly this is how all things made like this come out and we are just more detail oriented.. send those pics to them and see what they say.. can't hurt..
    Nah, like I've said you can get great results from them. One of my 60mm long D7 cruisers, just as it arrived (minus paint of course) below. Bit OT I know, but I just want to prove that the tech is sound (yeah, bit of a champion of it), something else is up here. I do think you might be right in that at least some of the aircraft being sent out might look OK to the person running them off, but it should be clear to anyone that those "knitted" looking ones and similar are in no way in any state to be sold.
    Last edited by IRM; 08-08-2011 at 11:13.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    Nah, like I've said you can get great results from them. One of my 60mm long D7 cruisers, just as it arrived (minus paint of course) below. Bit OT I know, but I just want to prove that the tech is sound (yeah, bit of a champion of it), something else is up here. I do think you might be right in that at least some of the aircraft being sent out might look OK to the person running them off, but it should be clear to anyone that those "knitted" looking ones and similar are in no way in any state to be sold.
    Ummm.... What damage deck does that thing use?
    I mean the Fokker D 7 was bad enough!!! But a K'Tinga D7! Geeze!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin3.14 View Post
    Ummm.... What damage deck does that thing use?
    I mean the Fokker D 7 was bad enough!!! But a K'Tinga D7! Geeze!!!
    I am guessing the Disruptors use the D deck , and phasers probably AA - of course, the most annoying thing is that the player must say Qapla' if they actually shoot an opponant down

Default Shapeways Work in progress

A little update on Shapeways work in progress. Both planes have had 3 coats of spray gloss finish with filing/sanding in between coats. Junkers has had filler added to the real bad spots.
    Then spray primed.
    The tripe has been more dificult. Not really any flat area condusive to filler so it will all have to be filed/sanded
    It tends to grow hairs as you work the surface.
    A few more pics in my Shapeways album.
    Tony

Woah, those finishes have put me right off any order from them. I like my models to NOT be surfaced with 80 grit sandpaper, and have all the parts!

Nice job getting defective products to look better fellas.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pflanzer View Post

Tony
    Dont know if you have seen my comment on the DR1 thread. But it seems that this type of finish is due to the position of the model on the printing area. some are ok but others on the edges of the printing area are like this.
    so it is pot luck when the software prints the model and the finish.

Woa thats bad.

From another forum of one who has often dealt with Shapeways:
    "Everything except for Frosted Ultra Detail has horrible resolution. However, it takes them about a month to do the FUD material."

Not entirely true in my experience, White Detail and Transparent Detail both give good finishes. Not as rigid as WSF or FUD however, so those planes (especially the bombers) might not be strong enough in those materials.

I'm going to add one of Kampfflieger's models in TD to my next order, I'll let you know how it comes out.

I was going to bite the bullet and get a shapways DH5 but after reading this thread and seeing the photes there is no way I am going to wast my money on a hit or miss order. I will stick to other souces

Overall, if you are unlucky and get a `knitted` version from the edge of the tray...
    send an email and pictures of your complaint and they will send a code so you can reorder
    for free.
    I know this seems long winded, but you can either throw out or put some hard yards in
    with the `seconds` and you potentially have two for the price of one.
    The answer is for shapeways to sort out their quality control, but until they get it right
    keep on their case. be prompt with your complaints...don`t except the seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Woa thats bad.

From another forum of one who has often dealt with Shapeways:
    "Everything except for Frosted Ultra Detail has horrible resolution. However, it takes them about a month to do the FUD material."
    Hey Kaiser, don`t belive all you read !
    All their products are inconsistant. I have had some poor results with FUD too !
    send them emails with pictures and they will put it right....i know it`s long winded, but there are good and bad examples
    with all their products.
    Eventually they will have to sort out their quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I was going to bite the bullet and get a shapways DH5 but after reading this thread and seeing the photes there is no way I am going to wast my money on a hit or miss order. I will stick to other souces
    Doug, my DH5 was border line, i managed to salvage the situation with dipping the model in clear gloss varnish (3 coats)
    If you are unlucky, complain !
    The DH5 is a fine little replica and looks fab when complete...
    I`ll post piccy`s soon !

I bought two Caprioni's in white, and they came in a little over two weeks, with timely updates as to where my order sat.

I guess I've been lucky as all of mine have been the cheapest finish (WSF) except my sopwith tripe which was FUD and the Junkers in black.
    None of them have required very much work and all except the DH5 came out quite good.
    The DH5 is still acceptable as a wargames model. Nothing that two coats of primer wont fix.
    So far I've had a Junkers, Sopwith Tripe, 2 pups, brisfit, DVII and a DH5 and now have the HP0400 on order (fingers crossed).
    I also have a number of builds from Revesco and I prefer a fully assembled model to arrive rather than a kit that I've got to fiddle around with.

My only complaint is that my models have travelled more of the world than I have.
    Tracking their journey is half the fun.

I am anther that has had poor results with the FUD as well. To me, it's just not worth the $13 a plane and a month plus wait just to see if I am going to get something that is useable.

Has anyone tried the Alumide material yet? it looks like it claims to be at least as smooth and detailed as the White Detail material, but also cheaper.

I believe it's only available on the bombers though.

I did some testing of altitude pegs with Shapeways and one of them was the Alumide. Not smooth at all. It was very ribbed in texture.

Default Finally finished

Nearly two months and I have finally finished two Sopwith Tripes and a lone Junkers.

Way too much filing and clean up for my taste. You loose the detail in your efforts to acheive a smooth painting surface.

With the Junkers it was easier to just cover it.

I just wish that Shapeways would be consistent with their products. Hit and miss just won't cut it with me. You order and then hold your breath until your models arrive. I finished these because I am hard headed and stubborn. I posted more pics in my Shapeways album.

Tony

Those look good Tony. But I'd hate to see the effort you put into getting that smooth of a surface.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

I purchased a Dr.1 and two DVIIs, got an e-mail with an expeced delivery date, and they arrived one day early. The quality looks good but there is some roughness on the surfaces. I got the standard material (WSD) I started to work on one and it seemed a bit difficult to file the material. These are the first Shapeway models and I'm open to suggestions on how to prep them from people who have worked on these. Thanks.

Just had a delivery of a Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter and a Albatross DII three days early with no advance warning.
    This a great improvement in delivery times as I've had to wait well over a month for all of my previous deliveries.
    I have now got 12 Shapeways planes in FUD and they have all been delivered in good condition. and with a good finish to them so I'm quite happy with Shapeways