Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you play with Special Damage?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 88.24%
  • No

5 7.35%
  • Sometimes

3 4.41%

Thread: Who plays without special damage?

Default Who plays without special damage?

Do you, or anyone you know play without special damage? Because technically it is an optional rule.

Hunter
    Last edited by Aero825; 07-30-2011 at 19:10.

Hunter...I just want to point out something here.

The way in which you've asked this question makes any of these answers mean the same thing.

I think you meant to ask "Do you play with special damage?"

I voted Yes BTW

Oh, crud, you're right. But I can't change it! Oops.

ummmmmm......Yes, we play with or without special damage!

so technically yes is the only correct answer, unless you do not play at all.

Without special damage you have only fully functional planes or dead planes. There is no penalty for being wounded.
    Last edited by Tommy Z; 07-31-2011 at 08:39.

Yes, we play with special damage - although I wish I would stop attracting engine damage the way I always seem to

We play WITH, except when explaining the basic rules to a newcomer...

Its the only way to play...and yes we use special damage.

Tom

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Its the only way to play...and yes we use special damage.

Tom
    Ditto for Phoenix!

Thumbs up

Definately WITH Special Damage.
    It would be far too "Tame" with out the quirks of Combat.

Playing without special damage would seem kinda boring.

We always play with the special damage cards even when introducing a new player to the game. For some reason I seem to attract the dreaded card of doom like a magnet!!!

We use special damage. It's a pain sometimes but that's all part of the experience.
    Linz

I think most of the special damage rules are simple enough that a new player can catch on qickly enough... I tend to skip Pilot Wounded... and Smoke only matters if you are playing with the Tailiing optional rule...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

never,never,never because, like the boom card, theyre an integral part of the balancing factor between different a/c types

Always use special damage, because I find it to be more fun that way.

I have never played any other way, even when inducting new members. It is an integral part of the game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have never played any other way, even when inducting new members. It is an integral part of the game.
    Rob.
    Me too.

Played with special damage right from the start, no reason not too.

Special damage is the way to go right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Special damage is the way to go right from the start.
    +1

I play with Special Damage everytime, both in WWI and WWII. I think this adds something more realistic to the game and its so simple!
    Thanks

Nick

clicked sometimes..but only because I played the first 20 or so games without it till my lady got the hang of the game...then added it in to try and even the odds and stop her winning streak.

Always use special damage.

If I could ever convince my non-gaming brothers to try it, I would probably skip the special damage; it's unlikely they would ever play it again anyway.

Yes of course, the special damage makes the game interesting.

LOOP

I allways play with the Special damage because it make things that much more fun
    Play without them and you loose a vital part of the game. That said I must confess that when I intruduce new, young players I start without them and let the players learn the basics first.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Only played one game where Special Damage wasn't counted ... It just did not feel right and as many feel too takes all the fun and at times the challenge out of the game.

There are occasions where particularly if playing with bombers I don't bother actually placing flame or smoke trails on the affected during Solitaire games. But I do still account for the damage according to the rules. This is a different matter though -called Avoidance of Altitude Peg Snaps and / or Potential Damage Where Able To - as abbreviated to ADWAT (Avoid Damage Where Able To) Measures in my notes and comments.

Voted 'sometimes', when I play with my wife and daughter we usually play without, or when I'm introducing someone to the game. But usually only in those instances.

It's part of the game!