Ares Games
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rumors about the Demise of NG International & Nexus Games on Boardgames Geek

Default Rumors about the Demise of NG International & Nexus Games on Boardgames Geek

This has already been posted but not with an obvious title to draw peoples attention. so I have posted it again.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpos...national-nexus

Was depressing first time I saw it Don and it is still depressing now. Couple that will no obvious immediate denial don't bode well

I am external to the company, just a freelance author, so I am not in a position to deny nor to confirm.

Anyway, on the Yahoo Discussion Group founded by WoW enthusiasts here

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wow_nexus/

that link has been posted, some discussion arised, a member asked a question to another member and I answered as it follows.

- - -

2011/7/30 R. J.:
    > So are you saying the game is now dead?

The game survived its first publisher, Nexus Editrice, who released it in 2004 and lost it in early 2008 when NG International started making it. Speaking in the abstract, all the rumors apart, I am 100% sure that it could also survive another publisher change as many other games did in the past. Please do not ask me more and let me warmly thank all of you - if this game is so popular and strong it is because you decided to play, spread, support it so much for years and years, in spite of everything. My high confidence in WoW's future comes from you.

Thanks again, I really mean it.

- - -

My thankings are very true to all of you in this forum too.

All the best,

Andrea
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 07-30-2011 at 02:57.

Hmmm thanks for that Angiolillo, I for one and I think Im not alone on this forumn would be quite unhappy to see the demise of the game and its attendant miniature line as I am sure you may have noticed from all the variants that members have posted. Here is hoping it does survive. I understand you are not part of the company, but can you say how close we were to actually publishing the new Miniatures that were indicated, WW1 bombers et al ?

Prototypes have been done and approved, moluds are ready. Some of the announced products have even been casted and assembled, for what I can assume from outside. People want that stuff in the shops as soon as possible. Even if something would happen, I don't think that all this will be wasted and will have to me done again from scratch.
    That's all, until we will have something official.

Andrea!

I think you are correct! Your great game system will find another publisher. You and the game really deserve that!

Rich

Sadly, rumors have sunk companies that weren't going under, GDW for instance. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. And if they do go under, if someone picks up WoW, maybe they'll have better luck getting the product into the hands of the gamers.

If Andrea is posotive about the out come then that is good enough for me, I have faith we will see those DH'2 and Fockker Endeckers in the shops one day!

Drachenflieger

Gosh, I hope the game survives. It's really great.

If rumours are true I'm sure someone will pick up the line. But given any likely transitional hiatus it may be worth laying your hands on any planes you can.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Even if the company has some issues, in all likelihood it or its IP would be sold off, so keeping the cash flow going is important to keep its price and appeal. If these rumors are true then one may expect a big gap from in flight work and future developments.

From bad news often comes a silver lining. If indeed they reorg/close shop a new company may just be the thing to kick up a notch the timing in the end of new releases reprints etc. So the pain may be worth it in the end. I can't se this game going the way of the dinosaurs its just to much fun and enjoyed be to many to die. /salute. At least i finnaly got my dv11 udet :-)

Hello All,
    Truely sad to see what might be the demise of a great product and game. We can only hope for the best. To think that maybe some of us will be the lucky few that have these planes is sad. I can see the internet vultures sharpening their daggers ready to cut loose. Hopefully somebody like F-Toys would jump on this to keep the product going.

Bad news
    I really hope this great game survives!

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    If these rumors are true then one may expect a big gap from in flight work and future developments.
    You mean the products that aren't available now still won't be available? Sheesh, how will we even notice?

In German, we say "Nichts wird so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird" (nothing gets eaten as hot as it was during its cooking)

Wait and see!
    Remember, there's nothing official right now.
    Start worrying when there's confirmation, not before.

Quite a bad surprise to hear these news. Lets hope they arent true. But even if they are - WoW seems to be a quite profitable product line. So why shouldnt be another publisher interested in continuing it? Lets wait and see. We cant do much more - and we did our best to keep WoW alive *looks at the little armada of ww1 planes which has amassed on his bookshelf*

Very upsetting. On a side note, I'll be traveling to my local game store to pick up that deluxe edition they had and a couple other planes as well.

I've ordered all expansion decks at my local game shop(sic card/comic shop) I'm ordering things from the aerodrome. I need to get out of 40k, don't dry up now. I also going to order all expansions boxes for the game. I just got addicted.

I'm one of the people that think this game is not going to die. It will show up again under a different company name. As Andrea said, the planes and products that were in the works will still come out, just at an unknown time.

I do think that we will see WWII Series 3 and maybe the WWI Series 1 reprints pretty much on time as announced. Unless NGI just closed it's doors (most companies this large don't do that, the get sold off and liquidated), part of the closing process is to keep cash flow going and recoup money already expended. If they were on target for next month for WWII Series 3, the minis have already been made and are sitting either on a dock some place or on a ship already.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'm one of the people that think this game is not going to die. It will show up again under a different company name. As Andrea said, the planes and products that were in the works will still come out, just at an unknown time.

I do think that we will see WWII Series 3 and maybe the WWI Series 1 reprints pretty much on time as announced. Unless NGI just closed it's doors (most companies this large don't do that, the get sold off and liquidated), part of the closing process is to keep cash flow going and recoup money already expended. If they were on target for next month for WWII Series 3, the minis have already been made and are sitting either on a dock some place or on a ship already.
    I think this is most likely to come about.

Hear, hear!

Well I think I might just purchase those other bits and pieces that I haven't got just to be sure.
    Linz

I like your optomistic reasoning Heer Oberst

It's not so much optimistic reasoning is as it is just thinking about it from a business stand point. We know that Wings of War is one of their most successful games and most likely their largest product line. The research and tooling that has gone into make the molds and dies for the minis that are already released are the biggest expenses. Any company thinking of picking up the game would require those as part of the deal. Then it's just a matter of producing them again... the inexpensive part of the operations and the part with the quickest turn around time to recoup your money.

Man what I would not do to be in a position to make a run for the licensing rights for this game!

Any publisher, so long as it is not Moongoose!!!

I'm sure that, in a few days, we'll quote Mark Twain: "The rumors of [NG's] death have been greatly exaggerated"!

I can hear the rush of feet to buy the last remaining planes on the shelves before they go. I am off to my LGS when it opens today.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

I was mulling over getting a Legends expansion pack. Mulling was over as soon as I saw this. I ordered the deck immediately. Beyond that I'm good with what's already been released. It's the new releases that get me. I was really looking forward to the P-38, Yak, and B-25. Now I'll have to figure out what to do next. Unfortunately none of those are available anywhere else.

Nobby

Well this is bad news. I have to believe that the WOW line was making money, they kept saying what a surprising success it was. I guess we should have started to get worried when they dropped the FFG partnership.

If this is true, maybe FFG will buy out the game and keep the line going?

I sure hope so. But I might suggest to grab all the files you can from fantasy Flight and Nexus_WOW yahoo.com while you still can. The main thing I think are to have the rules and card flight cards. That way you still play and use someone else minis.

Maybe there is a silver lining to this cloud & a new publisher might mean better production. (hopes optomistically)

Pulled from the Yahoo Groups discussion:

The game survived its first publisher, Nexus Editrice, who released it in 2004 and lost it in early 2008 when NG International started making it. Speaking in the abstract, all the rumors apart, I am 100% sure that it could also survive another publisher change as many other games did in the past. Please do not ask me more and let me warmly thank all of you - if this game is so popular and strong it is because you decided to play, spread, support it so much for years and years, in spite of everything. My high confidence in WoW's future comes from you.

All the best,

Andrea

Pulled from Boardgamegeek.com:

I must thank Roberto, who believed in this game from the very start - far more than any other would-be publisher. And to thank the NG International former staff. All of them, but let me quote especially Fabio Maiorana who gave shape to the game with all the visulal impact it has, and Fabrizio Rolla who has been the valuable editor of the whole line. Many more people around the world contributed to the success of the game illustrating, translating, producing, distributing, promoting, supporting it. I owe them my gratitude and I am aware that problems to the game may mean problems to the jobs of several persons around. But in this very moment, the people that were at NG are on top of my mind.

—Andrea Angiolino

At this point Andrea's response does not appear to confirm the death knell for Wings of War. He hints that restructuring might happen and that the game has lived on through other publishers. I wonder what this means in the wake of the WWI Series 1 reprints, WWI Bombers, and the WWII Series 3 planes.

Lugz

The parent company appears dead and buried, hence a new publisher is required. Personally I would have thought that WoW was a strong enough brand for it to be attractive enough for someone else to pick up fairly quickly. if so, one would hope that they took note of the customer base and were able to provide better stock, reprints and range expansion than Nexus.

I can hear the rush of feet to buy the last remaining planes on the shelves before they go. I am off to my LGS when it opens today.
    UK readers should check Amazon.co.uk and the "shopping" option on Google. There seems to be quite a few models around (albeit not the really rare ones that we all bemoan the lack of). Amazon has a few deluxe WW1 sets for Ł44ish

Hopefully someone like Fantasy Flight Games will take over the game. They were, after all, the US distributor for years, and are large and successful at the game and miniture making business. They'll know very well how popular the game is.

Of course, the ending of their partnership with Nexus means their well aware of the situation. Maybe nexus folding is why FFG stopped being the US distributor? Whatever happens, it's important that the layoff isn't long before new product appears, or the game's future will really suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Whatever happens, it's important that the layoff isn't long before new product appears, or the game's future will really suffer.
    Agreed. The game was already in precarious place due to the lack of product, specifically the Deluxe sets. I know friends who have shown interest only to find out that the game is nigh unobtainable (or prohibitively expensive due to scarcity). Product availability is almost as critical as public acclaim and popularity. A successful game is as only good as it's distribution lines. Hopefully we aren't in for a very long dry spell.

Lugz

As it is my friends are limited to playing with my collection since I have the minis and they can't get them (easily). I think the game could really surge once again if the availibility was there. We have a great core of players willing to spread and promote the game. We have the Recruiting Officers just need to get the Quartermaster off his ass!

No sign of anything coming out....check
    Wild speculation as to when anything could be released....check
    New homegrown cards being posted .... check
    Live games being hosted... check
    Record game sizes being set .... check
    painting new a/c ... check
    New campaign rules being tested ... check

Looks like business as usual to me guys GAME ON!!

johnnyboy

wow ,wtf i just started getting into this game and i refuse to pay smore then 15-20 for a plane and now there will probaly sky rocket which completly sucks.i dont mind paying for games i love, but if this becomes anything like mechwarrior or whatnot i allset

Keep calm and carry on. The game will if we want it to. There are other places to get minis, and talent on this forum to make them playable. If Nexus surives in one form or another great if not o well.

Just saw thai and have to say NOOOOOOOOOO. I can't believe that such a good game may be lost. I do hope there will be another manufacture that will pick up the line if this is true. There is so much that can be done with the planes. Repaints of WWI is the first thing that comes to mind. Jasta 15 alone could yield 6 different paint schemes of the Albatros. Hope someone takes up the line.

I believe that as long as this sight exists and members contribute game files and other companies produce miniatures this game can survive.

Gentlemen,

Let us hope that someone steps forward and continues producing Wings of War. Regretably we are all hooked on the pre made mini's that go with the game system. But remember we have been supported for decades, in good times and bad, by many other miniatures companies that have provided us thousands of hours of 1/144 scale modelling and gaming entertainment.

Yes, this news is depressing, but we have a great site, plenty of miniatures, and sufficient reserves on the Colonels shelves to supply aircraft for the months to come.

In the mean time. Help out our local shops and online retailers by buying up all the local WoW stock so that word can get to potential investors of WOW. Plus you'll have materials to pass on to your new found gaming buddies.

And Yes, I think we should be contacting Fantasy Flight games about picking up the Game.

James

I envy those who can take 1/144 models and assemble them and provide good paint jobs. I know for a fact that my hands can not paint something that small without making a complete mess of things. I am sure there are plenty of people who do not want to take the time, money, and patience to make something that is close to the quality that the pre-painted miniatures from Nexus provided. Hopefully, WoW will get new publisher, but I have the feeling that even if that is the case we may not see new official content for a long time (my glass half-empty). Maybe other 1/144 scale plane manufacturers will pick up the slack, but I do not know if a company like Corgi even knows about WoW (although their 1/144 tend to be the bigger planes like bombers). I may try my hand at a Reviresco model and see if I can produce a result that will be satisfactory. Right now this news is a bit crushing since the previous two months have been full of hope over the supposed increase in production from Nexus...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

I have no doubt the game will continue. There is too much interest, too many home brewed accessories, and too many other sources for aircraft for it to fail. The pre-painted stuff, there in lies the rub. I have kicked around the idea for a year or so of putting my painting and modelling talents to use, selling aircraft to those who don't have the time to invest themselves. The problem is trying to make it fiscally viable. The time assembling even a simple WW1 aircraft, and putting on a basic paint job, would raise the cost to at least $20 just to make it worthwhile. And that doesn't include a deck of cards and a flight stand. The big advantage Nexus had was using Chinese labor, working for pennies an hour. I'm sure another company could put together another such program in the Eastern market to replace Nexus, but it will take a while.

In the mean time, Tally-Ho! The game is afoot and there are Huns a-plenty demanding our attentions.

Nobby

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

All the best,

Andrea
    The 'please don't ask me any more' is worrying. Why not? Is there more to this?

'I am 100% sure that it could also survive' doesn't fill me with hope and confidence, it sounds like the game has been dropped while a magical fairy company comes along and grants the wishes of WoW gamers everywhere to reissue and create new models! Is anyone from Nexus actively seeking a new producer/distributor/manufacturer (whatever Nexus did)?

It just seems to me that we are being left with nothing and little explanation after years of false dawns and broken promises. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I've spent a small fortune and a lot of time and effort on building my collection, organising games and unofficially promoting WoW to other people and gamers. We all have, I think. The Aerodrome didn't spring up by itself, tournaments don't just magically happen. I've seen the passion people have for this game and I feel we are being sold a dummy. I am vexed.

Chin up Marts - you can always chuck it all in a box.... and post it to me ! mwahaha

"He is wise who watches"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast