Ares Games

Thread: Possible Mission: Japanese vs Americans

Default Possible Mission: Japanese vs Americans

So, I know some people will be headed to the Soldiery on the 7th and may be interested in playing some DoW before everything starts up. I was trying to think of a fun mission using the planes I have.

The mission would be American Wildcats vs Japanese Zeroes and Vals. The Japanese will be trying to bomb the American ships. The Americans will be outnumbered however the ships will have flak guns which can be taken out. The Japanese planes will have the Fuel optional rule in effect to show that they've taken off from a far off distance.

I haven't ironed out all of the details but I think it would make a really fun scenario.

If my friend Glenn comes down with me, he's more interested in DOW than WOW.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Royals View Post
    So, I know some people will be headed to the Soldiery on the 7th and may be interested in playing some DoW before everything starts up. I was trying to think of a fun mission using the planes I have.

The mission would be American Wildcats vs Japanese Zeroes and Vals. The Japanese will be trying to bomb the American ships. The Americans will be outnumbered however the ships will have flak guns which can be taken out. The Japanese planes will have the Fuel optional rule in effect to show that they've taken off from a far off distance.

I haven't ironed out all of the details but I think it would make a really fun scenario.
    Sounds like fun! I've thought of a scenario for USA vs Japan, the Wake Island defence. Wake received 8 USMC F4F3's from the USS Enterprise ( I think, not sure) a day or two before December 7, 1941. The Japanese attacked Wake that evening from Truk. Those Wildcats defended that island until they were shot down or just wore out from constant use. They even bombed Japanese ships. This battle history is a good read and since NEXUS saw fit not to give the USA any offensive aircraft, this is a scenario that can be played until the allies get some bombers. Or get some of the AIM bombers and have the battles of Midway, Santa Cruz, or Guadalcanal/Henderson field scenarios.

So, does anyone have a nice picture of a battleship or an aircraft carrier? I was thinking about making the ships three cards long. The battleship would have flak/AA guns in each of the three sections along with some MGs. The carrier would have MGs in each of its sections. All of the ships can fire in a 360 degree arc. I'm unsure of how many hits to give each ship and what damage they'll be dealing.

Altitude should be in play for this scenario as well as fuel for the Japanese plans.

There's a Midway scenario with carrier deck drawings here http://www.juniorgeneral.org/naval/midway2.html

I have some topdowns of ships here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/member.php?973-Anav
    they are a bit bigger then three cards though.....The red dots are 'AA" guns.
    I have a American and Japanese CV, DD and CA
    i also made up cards for bombers and what not.....
    take a look and maybe it will be what you need

Quote Originally Posted by Royals View Post
    So, does anyone have a nice picture of a battleship or an aircraft carrier? I was thinking about making the ships three cards long. The battleship would have flak/AA guns in each of the three sections along with some MGs. The carrier would have MGs in each of its sections. All of the ships can fire in a 360 degree arc. I'm unsure of how many hits to give each ship and what damage they'll be dealing.

Altitude should be in play for this scenario as well as fuel for the Japanese plans.
    They have some photos in the File section. Sorry for being so late to the conversation.

Thomas

How about a hypothetical 'Stop Pearl Harbour!' scenario? A small force of Curtis P-40's tries to stop a larger force of Zero's and Val's. The Americans win if they can shoot down all the Val's. The Japanese win if the Val's fly across the table to where the warships are positioned and attack them.