Ares Games

Thread: balloon Hunt

Default balloon Hunt

This is a quick scenario I knocked up this week for two - four players.
    It involves an allied baloon defended by a Sopwith camel and one AA gun. with a sopwith tri plane arriving after a randomly determined number of turns.

The Central Empire side has two Albatrosses one armed with rockets ( I now know they didn't use rockets so would suggest incendury bullets)

The playing surface was the official play mat (west) setting up along the short ends i.e North & South

The allied balloon was set up one ruler legnth from the allied edge in the centre. The ack ack gun within half ruler legnth of the balloon.
    The camel sets up Half a ruler legnth from the allied edge.

The triplane will enter within one ruler legnth of the allied edge along either side.

The Albatrosses set up within one ruler legnth of the CE edge and half a ruler apart

We played this scenario as follows

Using a A deck damage card the Triplane will enter on turn 4 The balloon will land after 15 turns

The first couple of turns are spent closing on the enemy then after some maneuvering the rocket armed albatros takes aim at the balloon the second albatros fires at the camel who in turn fires at the rocket Albatros.
    The camel takes just one point of damage but scores a hit on it's target damaging the rudder! The pilot aborts his rocket attack (as per the rules) and has to take the long way round to try again

So far the Ack Ack has had a couple of near misses and the Triplane enters the fray.

Due to carelesnes on the pilots part (looking at the movement card upside down) the triplane flies into the second Albatrosses guns and takes extensive damage and starts trailing smoke

The camel expecting rockets to turn right to line up on the balloon turns the wrong way ( the Rudder damage prevented right turns) and is flying away from the action.

More maneuvering and ineffective Ack Ack for a couple of moves.

finaly with just five turns before the balloon lands the rocket Albatross lines up for a shot the Camel lets loose with a burst of fire no damage! rockets away Two rockets = two cards. Card one 1 point () card two......Explosion

meanwhile the Triplane and Albatros two exchange fire the Triplane bursts into flame.

But next turn the Ack Ack hits something at last and rocket(less) Albatross Catches fire

Two turns later and both the Triplane and the Albtaros are destroyed by fire the Camel slinks off with its tail between its legs and the remaining Albatros pilot celebrates a famous victory.

the scenario seemed to work well and we are planning a re-run with an Empire balloon just to see how it works out

Bigman, sounds like a fun game! You should put a little more effort into writing up this mission and enter it into the Balloon Buster contest.

sounds like a fun mission might give it ago...only thing No mini of the Sopwith tri-plane.

what could be used to replace that particular plane?

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Bigman, sounds like a fun game! You should put a little more effort into writing up this mission and enter it into the Balloon Buster contest.
    Thanks for the compliment
    I will have a go when the holiday starts and see what happens.

No mini of the Sopwith tri-plane
    Ahh the joy of cards. In fairness any plane from the famous aces set will do or a plane with the same stats. Not really given it that much thought.

In fact anyone come up with a points system for either WOW setting?

There is a points system for planes out there, but I've never tracked it down. I've always just been happy to use what was historically available at the time. Simply pick a year for this mission to happen in and then select planes that were operational at the time.

There is a points system for planes out there, but I've never tracked it down. I've always just been happy to use what was historically available at the time. Simply pick a year for this mission to happen in and then select planes that were operational at the time.
    I think a point system would be great if you play tournaments. If there is one allredy I had no success searching for it...

I found this thread:

WoW point system

check it out will keep on looking not sure if its a complete point systems.

Cheers
    GW

Nice. But it only rates maneuver decks and does not consider guns, hitpoints,...

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Nice. But it only rates maneuver decks and does not consider guns, hitpoints,...
    I think someone mentions that later in the thread, regarding that. i think I even saw bixby make a post. considering the age of that thread is early 2008.

Cheers
    GW

Does this newer thread exist? Can anybody give me a link?

Does this newer thread exist? Can anybody give me a link?
    I couldn't find one. and I checked through it top to bottom. will keep on looking.

Cheers
    GW

You guys could always start a thread here and hash out the details of a points system for use.

You guys could always start a thread here and hash out the details of a points system for use.
    we could give it ago I guess.....

Cheers
    GW

Yes, we could. If we had the time...

Yes, we could. If we had the time...
    do we need to have done by the end of the week? well since we don't how about we just do as much as we can when we can.

I set up a thread for it so we can plug away at when we like. I am sure with the community we have we can put in alot of info and then just collate it together and then start to figure it all out and make it work.

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    do we need to have done by the end of the week? well since we don't how about we just do as much as we can when we can.

I set up a thread for it so we can plug away at when we like. I am sure with the community we have we can put in alot of info and then just collate it together and then start to figure it all out and make it work.

Cheers
    GW
    "Make it so!"

Similar Missions

1. Solo: U-Boat Hunt
    By Carlos Lopes in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 03:52