Ares Games

Thread: A new Cloud

Default A new Cloud

Here's a new cloud for the game. I got this from Pirates of the Spanish main card game. It was a fog bank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1827.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	16731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1829.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	16732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1828.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	16733

If you guys and gals could help come up with some house rules for it. I have some ideas in mind but will let everyone brain storm together on this. All ideas are much appreciated.

Tom

Tom!

It is the simple things that work the best! Easy way to move it let it drift a straight move in the direction a single die is rolled!

Rich

Or for a more light-hearted/amusing idea: whenever you enter the cloud, next move you exit the cloud in a random direction...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Hmmm... ideas that spring to mind....

Die roll for movement direction is obvious, but I wouldn't want it to keep changing direction. Once direction is set, have it move one plane base every card played, and if it moves off the table, have it move back on at the opposite side.

Give it an altitude, and a thickness, so if for example it was at an altitude of 3, it would be considered present at altitudes 2 and 4 also.

Make tailing impossible while in the cloud.

If the cloud is entered while the plane is on fire, drawing a zero fire damage card means the fire is extinguished.

That's about all I can think of at the mo.

I was also thinking in a scenario that once you go into the cloud you get disorientated and roll a dice and see where you come out. And then add some rules on top of that...

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Geoff
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I was also thinking in a scenario that once you go into the cloud you get disorientated and roll a dice and see where you come out. And then add some rules on top of that...

Tom
    Seems a bit harsh to me considering the size of the cloud.

How about if you attempt any manoeuvre other than a straight in the cloud you risk going in to a spin (to simulate disorientation, unless anyone has fun rules for flying inverted etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruthers View Post
    Seems a bit harsh to me considering the size of the cloud.
    Just making it fun...

Tom

I say playtest a few times... and adjust as necessary. If it ends up being fun then Awesome! If not, then either readjust again or file 13... got keep things spiced up in a group to keep the group goin' so Kudos to you!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Tom!

If an unlucky flier goes into a cloud, faces the problem of his next maneuver verses the cloud drift! I could see disorientation hitting after two turns with his head in the clouds!

Rich

There are rules for cloud cover in Burning Drachens. They say that clouds are at a predetermined height and once in them the aircraft stops movement on the table but stacks up their cards until the aircraft dives / split s out of the cloud then all the cards are played. If those cards take you of the table you are not out of the game. When in the cloud you can not be fired on or fire or collide.
    Seems like good rules to me although I havn't played them.
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    There are rules for cloud cover in Burning Drachens. They say that clouds are at a predetermined height and once in them the aircraft stops movement on the table but stacks up their cards until the aircraft dives / split s out of the cloud then all the cards are played. If those cards take you of the table you are not out of the game. When in the cloud you can not be fired on or fire or collide.
    Seems like good rules to me although I havn't played them.
    Linz
    They are great rules. and one must be careful not to fly off the map.
    I'm just thinking outside the cloud.get it. Out side the ...
    Somebody stop me

Tom

At least you are not uploading to the cloud... or downloading from the cloud... but I do think that your mind is getting a little clouded... you must be hanging around me too much.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

This thread is getting cirrus-ly silly

O.K. guys and gals I put it in the File section under Dice Cloud. If you can use it great and also you could just photo-shop the dice out if you want.

Tom

Thanks Tom!

It is a good job that I was away on a mission during the weekend chaps, otherwise we could have suffered an acumulation of cloud jokes that alto gether spoilt the cirriousness of the nimbus of replies to the thread.
    In all I love the idea of the clouds.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've often thought about getting the Litko clouds (they do look cool) but could never justify the expense:

http://www.litko.net/products/XL-Ele...d-Marker-.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarley View Post
    I've often thought about getting the Litko clouds (they do look cool) but could never justify the expense:

Those are nice but I would rather spend my money on planes

Tom

The BD rules are fine for a cloud ceiling as written. My thoughts on adding clouds to the game:

• Planes outside of the cloud can not shoot or tail planes inside the clouds.
    • Planes inside the cloud can not shoot or tail planes outside the clouds.
    • Planes inside the cloud can shoot at planes also inside the cloud, must be at close range and only deals one card of damage (same as an altitude shot)
    • If you start the turn while inside the cloud, before movement, replace your first maneuver card with a random card drawn from you deck of unselected cards.

Pilots often darted in to clouds to evade the enemy, so I don't think there should be a penalty for using the cloud for that... however, if you are in it too long, there is the chance of getting disorientated.

I personally would not bother with moving the cloud during the game. If you move the cloud a straight card per round/phase, you basically have a cloud blowing along at about 100mph!! Even one straight per turn might be too much. I think of the clouds on the table being part of a larger "sky full of clouds", so as your plane zooms around, the cloud position is relative to your plane... meaning a cloud is always near by... just not the exact same cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarley View Post

You are right Ian. Paying that for a cloud as far as I am concerned is just Cloud Cuckoo Land. I shall stick with my good lady's teased out wool.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The BD rules are fine for a cloud ceiling as written. My thoughts on adding clouds to the game:

• Planes outside of the cloud can not shoot or tail planes inside the clouds.
    • Planes inside the cloud can not shoot or tail planes outside the clouds.
    • Planes inside the cloud can shoot at planes also inside the cloud, must be at close range and only deals one card of damage (same as an altitude shot)
    • If you start the turn while inside the cloud, before movement, replace your first maneuver card with a random card drawn from you deck of unselected cards.

Pilots often darted in to clouds to evade the enemy, so I don't think there should be a penalty for using the cloud for that... however, if you are in it too long, there is the chance of getting disorientated.

I personally would not bother with moving the cloud during the game. If you move the cloud a straight card per round/phase, you basically have a cloud blowing along at about 100mph!! Even one straight per turn might be too much. I think of the clouds on the table being part of a larger "sky full of clouds", so as your plane zooms around, the cloud position is relative to your plane... meaning a cloud is always near by... just not the exact same cloud.
    I like Herr Oberst's rules better than the Burning Drachens ones.

I use clouds frequently in my games-- they are a little bit smaller than the one pictured in the opening post.
    My rules are simple:
    - If your post is inside the cloud, you can't shoot or be shot at.

- clouds might move a little, if I feel like moving them (though I seldom bother.) If they do move, I move them all in the same direction, about the width of my thumb, once a turn.

I find that they add some more eye candy to the table, and they only play a minor role in most dogfights. (There's never a cloud around when you need one!)

I downloaded some templates from the Yahoo WoW group-- they are 3-D. I'll try to remember to take a picture for posting.

I've never had a tailed plane go into the clouds, so I never had to come up with a rule for that. Thinking about it now, I'd simply tell the tailing pilot that "you lost him, tailing no longer applies".

Quote Originally Posted by rcboater View Post
    I use clouds frequently in my games-- they are a little bit smaller than the one pictured in the opening post.
    My rules are simple:
    - If your post is inside the cloud, you can't shoot or be shot at.

- clouds might move a little, if I feel like moving them (though I seldom bother.) If they do move, I move them all in the same direction, about the width of my thumb, once a turn.

I find that they add some more eye candy to the table, and they only play a minor role in most dogfights. (There's never a cloud around when you need one!)

I downloaded some templates from the Yahoo WoW group-- they are 3-D. I'll try to remember to take a picture for posting.

I've never had a tailed plane go into the clouds, so I never had to come up with a rule for that. Thinking about it now, I'd simply tell the tailing pilot that "you lost him, tailing no longer applies".
    Simplicity is some much better in this game. I would love to see some photos of your clouds. Although I'm always adding more rules .

Tom

No engaging an enemy or being engaged while in the clowd.

Also 1 damage card per 3 turns while in clowd for moisture damage to engine...Remember these planes engines aren't as efficient as modern planes!!!