Ares Games

Thread: P40's in the Pacific

Default P40's in the Pacific

I asume that P40's were used in the Pacific as well as with the flying tigers, but what type of camo would they have had?

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

In the pictures I've seen they look like they are either OD green over light gray or OD green & earth over light gray.

In one of my references the narratives to the color plates say dark green & dark earth over medium gray or a dark green over medium gray.

I generally go a bit lighter given wear and being bleached by the sun. Kevin

For Reference the P-40 (Hawk) was not exclusively used in the pacific, it was also used in African theatre of war. The Commonwealth forces used them there even before the USA entered the war, and where actually the first to paint the famed shark's mouth on the planes. The Camo for the brits desert-version where mostly sand and earthly colours. There are a couple of different p-40 paintschemes right here.
    http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...shahar_p40.htm

American forces had dubbed the P-40 the Warhawk, but Commonwealth forces named the A to C version's Tomahawk and from the D version and onward Kittyhawk. Many names for a dear child one could say.

Cheers!

/Jesper
    Last edited by Minion104; 07-11-2011 at 05:15.

Thanks for your help Gentelmen Doug

Alastair!

Here is a link that comes from your part of the world! Look at the past projects for four different P-40 restorations.

Rich

http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/past.html#hanna

Thanks for that the colour photes of the P40 are very useful. In fact the whole sight was very intresting, how they can take something lying in the bush into a flying aircraft again facinating.

There was also one squadron painted a desert-pink-like color in the South Pacific. There's a great Schiffer photo-book series on the Pacific air offensive, I'll see about getting the title overnight and if I don't get it posted tomorrow, somebody PM me a Gibbs-slap to remind me.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thumbs up

Alastair!

They do some amazing work! I saw that Rapide when it arrived in Virginia several years ago! Not in the woods but in need of some TLC! Last Saturday i had the rare opportunity to take a ride in that Rapide!
    We are waiting for the Mosquito to come over!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4457.jpg   100_4407.jpg   100_4395.jpg   100_4465.jpg  

The book was Return to the Philippines in Schiffer's "Great Pacific Air Offensive of WWII" series.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Alastair!

Here is another great source for restored P-40 paint schemes! Most of the listed planes are long lost but if you look at all of them you will see some great planes!

Rich

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p40re...0registry.html