Ares Games

Thread: Has anyone ever heard of this?

Default Has anyone ever heard of this?

Hi everyone!

I'm new in the campaign section of the forums and have just recently begun preperation for a home-campaign. I had an idea, my dad liked it, but I wanted you guys' opinion on it. Actually, it's a few ideas. First, I was thinking a limited number of planes. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, which is why I came to you guys. Second, I was thinking about a freestyle campaign, where the participants act like the Generals of the war and create missions back and forth based on the outcomes of past mssions. For example, after a dogfight during a patrol, the General of the Allies thinks "Hey, they have some new planes! Let's send some bombers to take out one of their factories." And after that, the German General says "Oh, crap, they got some good pilots, lets send a massive squadron of fighters behind their lines to try to take some of them out." My third idea is limited sub-pilots. You don't really record their kills and ace status and stuff like that, but if you run out of sub pilots you'd have to make you're main pilots fly bombers and put them at risk more, and possibly make them think about getting stuff such as the trench runner ace ability, or being more careful during battles. By the way, if Col hajj is reading this, could he please explain his capture rules and stuff?(Thanks!) My final idea was some sort of money system for getting new planes, and training new sub-pilots, stuff like that. All comments and/or critizism is welcome.

Hunter

Hunter, here are the KotA2 rules on getting shot down and captured:

Being Shot Down
    When a plane is shot down, remove the miniature from the table and replace it with the plane’s card. Its location will be used to help determine the fate of the pilot.

If a player is shot down in the first 3 turns of the game, he may re-enter the game after sitting out one full turn, with a new pilot and plane. The base of his miniature must be touching his side’s table edge. He can choose which altitude level he re-enters at, but his plane must be at least 3 rulers length away from any enemy aircraft and his altitude must be with in the limits stated in the mission profile that is being played.

After the sortie, shuffle all the damage cards back into the community damage decks to make the fallowing checks.

• Plane brought down by damage
    If a plane was shot down by anything other than the explosion card, the pilot draws one card from the type A community damage deck to see how many Health Points he loses. If an explosion card is drawn, he draws another card and multiplies it by two to determine how many Health Points he loses (redraw any 0s).

• Plane brought down by explosion card
    If a plane was shot down by the explosion card, the pilot draws one card from the type A community damage deck. If a 5 or an explosion card is drawn, he is killed instantly. If it is any other number, he loses that many Health Points multiplied by 2(redraw any 0s).

Behind Enemy Lines and In No-man’s Land
    If a pilot is shot down in or behind No-man’s Land and the pilot survives the crash, the player must draw four cards from the type A community damage deck after the sortie is over to see if he successfully evades capture.

• If behind enemy lines, the sum of the cards drawn must be greater then the Mission number that was just flown in order for the pilot to escape.
    • If in No-man’s Land, the sum of the cards drawn must be equal to or greater then the Mission that was just flown in order for the pilot to escape.

If a pilot flies off any table edge outside of this deployment area, the player must draw five cards from the type A community damage deck after the sortie is over to see if he successfully returns home.

• If behind enemy lines, the sum of the cards drawn must be greater then the Mission number that was just flown in order for the pilot to return home.
    • If in No-man’s Land, the sum of the cards drawn must be equal to or greater then the Mission number that was just flown in order for the pilot to return home.

If the sum of the numbers is less than the required number or an explosion card is drawn, the pilot is captured by ground forces.

When a pilot is captured, they can attempt to escape. At the end of the next mission that the player plays in, he may attempt to have his pilot escape. The player draws one card from the community A deck. If he draws a 4, 5, or the explosion cards, his pilot manages to escape and is available for the next mission. As a result of the poor conditions of captivity, the pilot losses 5 points of health. A pilot can attempt to escape until the campaign progresses to the next year.
    There are some groups out that that do the limited plane thing and they seem to like it. It's just too much record keeping for me with the size group I typically run. (should work fine for your guys though).

Have you read through the Herr Oberst's KoTA rules in the files section Hunter? He covers a lot of the things you are interested in doing in his sorties, together with a time line to say which planes would be most likely to fly together. it may give you some more ideas.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Hunter, here are the KotA2 rules on getting shot down and captured:

There are some groups out that that do the limited plane thing and they seem to like it. It's just too much record keeping for me with the size group I typically run. (should work fine for your guys though).
    Thanks alot Oberst! Just one thing, how much is a pilot's total life points?
    Last edited by Aero825; 07-06-2011 at 06:53.

Starts with 25 and gets a top up at years end per the rules, also for earning a gong.
    Rob.

After reading Oberst Hajj's rules, I thought of a new Idea: I think a pilot should heal over time, meaning if he has less than the total 25 health points, he gains back one health point for each mission played that he is not in. What do you think?

P.S. This rule should only be played in campaigns with more frequent missions, meaning there's less time between missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Starts with 25 and gets a top up at years end per the rules, also for earning a gong.
    Rob.
    Um, first, what's a gong? And how do you get one? And where in the rules does it say a pilot's life points gets topped up at year's end?

As you may be able to tell, my dad and I are going to play a campaign with much less time between missions than KotA, because with 3 missions per year, It's gonna be over rather quickly. So I think some of the rules that Oberst posted should be modified for my dad and I's campaign. If there's only about a week or two weeks between each mission how long do you think it should it be before a captured pilot can no longer attempt escape?

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    After reading Oberst Hajj's rules, I thought of a new Idea: I think a pilot should heal over time, meaning if he has less than the total 25 health points, he gains back one health point for each mission played that he is not in. What do you think?

P.S. This rule should only be played in campaigns with more frequent missions, meaning there's less time between missions.
    Nice idea Hunter, but I'm sticking with the health improving at the end of each year because it makes keeping records easier. However, as it is your rules you are drawing up go with whatever you think fits your style. That is the beauty of this game, you can amend it as you wish.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

cool ideas. i really like the open-ended approach to mission design. probably a good idea to have one overall commander on each side who has the final say on missions or delegates a new commandr after each session to share the mission ideas around.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

A 'gong' is a medal.

As Terry says a gong is British slang for a medal
    Presumably when you have a lot like Kytie they ring when banging against each other on your chest.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Um, first, what's a gong? And how do you get one? And where in the rules does it say a pilot's life points gets topped up at year's end?