Ares Games

View Poll Results: What type of avatar do you use?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supplied by the site

101 70.14%
  • Custom

31 21.53%
  • Photo

12 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of avatar do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    ... I may have to change the sandwich to a paint brush at some time. Ian
    Be better if it was a 'plane Ian !

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I don't think Hunter was interested in that sort of option when he started this poll Нема&#.
    I'm not sure if having no Avatar is really in the true spirit of the Drome.

Rob.
    Well, let's call it "stealth" avatar then!

Немања
    --------------------------------------------------

And later on I swicthed to Grunf, retired pilot and mad scratch-scientist character from Alan Ford comic book.

And I'm again using none...
    Last edited by Пилот; 10-22-2013 at 20:33. Reason: Avatar added at the end :) - and than lost

I was using an Albatros D.III, but since switching focus to WW2 I now fly a Messerschmitt Bf 109E 'Emil'.

In looking through this poll, I see that many of the old avatar's disappeared when the Aerodrome changed servers.

My avatar disappeared.

Where are the guidelines for avatars ?

I believe that there may have been changes in what was previously allowed and what is presently allowed.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    In looking through this poll, I see that many of the old avatar's disappeared when the Aerodrome changed servers.

My avatar disappeared.

Where are the guidelines for avatars ?

I believe that there may have been changes in what was previously allowed and what is presently allowed.
    Hi Kenneth! Just go to your notifications section where you access your PMessages & there should be a side bar on the LHS scroll down until you see the Edit Avatar section & if you click on that there will be a choice (reduced in number unless you are a contributing member) for you to select.

I think that I found what serves as the guideline for Avatars:

"What are avatars?

Avatars are small images that people use to identify or distinguish themselves to other forum members. In some cases the administrator will not allow avatars or only allow them for specific members. The administrator can also provide some stock avatars people can use, or they can allow members to upload their own custom avatars from their own computers. These avatars will be displayed as part of the user info in posts, as well as in the public profile."

My questions:

"small images" = # pixels x # pixels ?

"In some cases the administrator will not allow avatars" = I would really like to see a better definition of what is not allowable.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Kenneth! Just go to your notifications section where you access your PMessages & there should be a side bar on the LHS scroll down until you see the Edit Avatar section & if you click on that there will be a choice (reduced in number unless you are a contributing member) for you to select.
    Found it !
    Strangely, it still shows my old avatar (Snoopy on a bullet riddled dog house) as being my avatar ?

Found it !
    Strangely, it still shows my old avatar (Snoopy on a bullet riddled dog house) as being my avatar ?
    You have to be a gold level contributor to the site to use custom avatars now.

Mine is a custom one I did up.

Canadian Aviation Corp's Burgess-Dunne. The first and only aircraft bought by the Canadian government for use in WWI. All other ac, that I know of were bought by the RFC and RAF, and gifted to Canada after the war. This includes the aircraft used in Canada for pilot training during WWI by the RFC/RAF. The Burgess-Dunne was never even flown in Europe, although it did make it to England on a boat (in damaged condition).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    You have to be a gold level contributor to the site to use custom avatars now.
    I did not know what a "gold level contributor" was.

Now I do.
    See: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post252364

I did not know what a "gold level contributor" was.

Now I do.
    See: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post252364
    Oops, I should have included a link.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Have used a couple of Avatars since joining with the first being a Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II.

I then discovered how many more were available after I subscribed with a Gold Membership and switched over the the British P-51 Mustang fighter. Then traded that in for a Gloster Sea Gladiator as that is what my WGS playing career began with and I felt that this ought not to be forgotten. Good way of remembering this fact / in a way commemorating this fact.

I started with a Fokker DrI but changed to a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. Custom card done for me by OldGuy59 of a plane I painted and fly.

Mine was a standard Brisfits originally, then I swapped to a Naval Camel.
    Now I have a new Avatar supplied by the Oberst, apparently I may have over enthused and mentioned on more than one occasion, perhaps, my distaste for a certain Ares model, that shall remain nameless, I'm running short of pills you see, but it's not my fault the fobbed us off with an absolute dog of a model.... I'll stop there as my blood pressure is rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Mine was a standard Brisfits originally, then I swapped to a Naval Camel.
    Now I have a new Avatar supplied by the Oberst, apparently I may have over enthused and mentioned on more than one occasion, perhaps, my distaste for a certain Ares model, that shall remain nameless, I'm running short of pills you see, but it's not my fault the fobbed us off with an absolute dog of a model.... I'll stop there as my blood pressure is rising.
    Nobody mention triplanes

A P-40 for me, as my callsign might suggest. Wish it was a RAF or RCAF Kittyhawk but beggars can't be choosers .

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    A P-40 for me, as my callsign might suggest. Wish it was a RAF or RCAF Kittyhawk but beggars can't be choosers .
    Wes if you PM OldGuy59 & say "pretty please" nicely I bet he will do a custom one for you!
    However you might need Silver Membership to qualify.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 05-11-2015 at 18:44.

Mmmmm Seems like time for a change of Avatar perhaps

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Wes if you PM OldGuy59 & say "pretty please" nicely I bet he will do a custom one for you!
    However you might need Silver Membership to qualify.
    Already PM'ed Wes.

Unfortunately, I think he needs a Gold membership to use a custom avatar. Oops.

RCAF Kittyhawk Desert Camo Avatar
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-15-2015 at 17:10.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I'd like to use a custom avatar, but don't have any way to produce one myself.

Neither do I.

I would also like to learn how to create an album and load photos into it. The tutorial stopped halfway through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Nobody mention triplanes
    *snicker* Don't let French hear that, he's always gotta poke sticks into all the other monkeys' cages...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    *snicker* Don't let French hear that, he's always gotta poke sticks into all the other monkeys' cages...
    That's why he's in a cage himself, right
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    That's why he's in a cage himself, right
    Karl
    Or is supposed to be, anyway... which one of you fools let him out?!
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    +1
    But yours is one of the nicest on the 'Drome, Tim.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

+1

I have drawn a 165 x 150 pixel Avro Vulcan on Microsoft Paint but don't like the way it displays on just a plain white background ... So I will hang onto that but revert to using a site-supplied P-40C

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    +1

I have drawn a 165 x 150 pixel Avro Vulcan on Microsoft Paint but don't like the way it displays on just a plain white background ... So I will hang onto that but revert to using a site-supplied P-40C
    Avatar - Avro Vulcan B Mk 2, No. 27 Sqn RAF Scampton
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    +1
    But yours is one of the nicest on the 'Drome, Tim.
    Ah, that's because it is now a CUSTOM Avatar, produced by that top chap Mike (OldGuy59)!

When I typed that "I can't do one for myself" message, my avatar was a bog-standard site one.
    Now I have my new one, it has overwritten and replaced the old one on all of my old postings.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Ah, that's because it is now a CUSTOM Avatar, produced by that top chap Mike (OldGuy59)!
    Same as my new Custom Avatar has been produced by Mike and I am very grateful for this - Rep Points given to him in return.

Certainly is a nice one, Barnaby to Mike
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

LOOP

When I typed that "I can't do one for myself" message, my avatar was a bog-standard site one.
    Now I have my new one, it has overwritten and replaced the old one on all of my old postings.
    I know But still

Snoopytheace

How do you make a custom?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopytheace View Post
    How do you make a custom?
    I use the template I got from either Max Headroom or Oberst Hajj, and Photoshop to do up Avatars. Do you need something in particular?
    Mike

Snoopytheace

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I use the template I got from either Max Headroom or Oberst Hajj, and Photoshop to do up Avatars. Do you need something in particular?
    well if you have a p-82 twin mustang or just a p-51D mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopytheace View Post
    well if you have a p-82 twin mustang or just a p-51D mustang
    Sorry, Jonathan.

P-82B Avatar
    Mike

Sopwith triplane for me

Supplied by the site.

Same for me. A Naval French Triplane. Standart site avatar. But I used Goering's Albatross D.III in my other account, but I couldn't find it anymore when I created this one.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I don't think Hunter was interested in that sort of option when he started this poll Нема&#.
    I'm not sure if having no Avatar is really in the true spirit of the Drome.

Rob.
    Interesting, how do you make custom avatars? I fly for Belgium - none Belgian in the pre-made ones in the options...

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of War View Post
    Interesting, how do you make custom avatars? I fly for Belgium - none Belgian in the pre-made ones in the options...
    I must draw your attention to this thread Oleksandr.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post252364

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I would seriously recommend that you have a chat with Mike (OldGuy59) about the creation of custom avatars once you have found an aircraft which you would like to use. In terms of which types Mike can create ... Just take a look at the custom avatar he very kindly produced for me.

Mike is an absolute master of this trade as well as a friendly and popular Member if you have never met him before. I'm sure he would be willing to provide a solution for you. Hope to see it some day.

PS: Welcome to the Aerodrome Oleksandr from an Anglo-Australian. Noticed your recent arrival date - I'm from QLD but now living in the UK with family back in Brisbane.
    Last edited by Tonx; 05-16-2016 at 05:53. Reason: Welcome Message attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    I would seriously recommend that you have a chat with Mike (OldGuy59) about the creation of custom avatars once you have found an aircraft which you would like to use. In terms of which types Mike can create ... Just take a look at the custom avatar he very kindly produced for me.

Mike is an absolute master of this trade as well as a friendly and popular Member if you have never met him before. I'm sure he would be willing to provide a solution for you. Hope to see it some day.

PS: Welcome to the Aerodrome Oleksandr from an Anglo-Australian. Noticed your recent arrival date - I'm from QLD but now living in the UK with family back in Brisbane.
    Great to hear a welcoming note from a fellow Australian! How is UK like? I heard it is very rainy and cold...

About the avatar, cheers for the contact. As far as I get it, I do need to become a registered member (silver or gold), so will need to make my decision on that...

Cheers,

Dog of War

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    Well, let's call it "stealth" avatar then!

Немања

And later on I swicthed to Grunf, retired pilot and mad scratch-scientist character from Alan Ford comic book.

And I'm again using none...
    It may not be historically accurate for WWI, but...
    SerbianRoundelAvatar.png

PS: Hmmm... Perhaps this is more appropriate for WWI?
    SerbianRoundelWWIAvatar.png
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-16-2016 at 11:04.
    Mike

...As far as I get it, I do need to become a registered member (silver or gold), so will need to make my decision on that...
    Cheers, Dog of War
    There are three Belgian avatars in the Entente (76) selection Oleksandr - Coppens HD1, the RE8 & Olieslagers Camel - you probably need a membership to get to that.

"He is wise who watches"

I just have a Sopwith Camel from the site. My favorite WW1 plane...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12