Ares Games

View Poll Results: What type of avatar do you use?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supplied by the site

101 70.14%
  • Custom

31 21.53%
  • Photo

12 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of avatar do you use?

Default What kind of avatar do you use?

What kind of avater do you use?

Do you use one of the ones supplied by the site? Do you use a custom one like mine?
    Or do you use a photo, like, for example, Lugburz? This poll is just to get a general percentage of who uses what.

Thanks,
    Hunter

P.S. The votes are public, so people will know what you voted for.

A custom one

I repainted the Roland CII supplied by the site referring to the Luftstreitskrafte miniature livery.

Attilio

Mine is actually an edited top down photo of my Cow SE.5a mini...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I voted for "custom" since mine is a scan from an old issue of Mad Magazine, superimposed over a blue watercolor background. The gold frame was also added. I suppose that fits custom a lot better than photo.

Lugz

I just use the standard yellow Fokker D.VII from the site, although Hunter keeps bugging me to make a custom one that is in the Goering white paint scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I just use the standard yellow Fokker D.VII from the site, although Hunter keeps bugging me to make a custom one that is in the Goering white paint scheme.
    I can make you a white one like Goering's plane if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    LOL! I'll think about taking you up on that offer. I'm torn on what to do since yellow is my favorite color but a Goering white avatar would be more fitting (especially since he's my favorite pilot/plane in the game).

Custom 100 % !!! :-)

The Col. as he was then, now Herr Oberst Hajj, made mine up as Albert Ball's Nieuport when I joined the
    Drome. It was one of the things that influenced me to stay. I felt you were all a caring bunch of fine chaps. I have now found out that this is ............?
    Have a guess!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That's up to my dad, but I could use something from you, do you have, like, an outline of all the German minis, with both types of decals? I need just one for each plane an decal. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    That's up to my dad, but I could use something from you, do you have, like, an outline of all the German minis, with both types of decals? I need just one for each plane an decal. Thanks!
    Not exactly. I figured I would make the offer to your father since it would be very easy to adjust the colors from yellow to white and fix some of the patterning. I don't have a range of blank plane silhouettes on hand. If you find an overhead view of a plane you would like, adjusting the scale and adding a transparency/drop shadow is easy. I'm not sure I can facilitate your current request as written though...

Lugz

I use the Flagg of my home-country, the Kingdom of Württemberg witch is now a part of Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

Matthias

Custom, made for me by Max Headroom (thanx again ). I saw the card he did and asked him to avatar it for me.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

for now as supplied by site, soon mabey a custom. when i decide what

More "Customs" than I thought. If you're not sure what to consider yours, just post it here. I'll see it and tell you what I think.

I just switched to custom!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by franc3555 View Post
    Custom 100 % !!! :-)
    And very impressive too I might add! Congratulations!

Custom.. thanks Max!!!.. again.. lol.. this is a variant on The Barons red Alb DIII.. and part of my name sake (Handle Login call sign.. ) Rote Flugel is Red Wing in German.. the plane I painted up also has a black swastika on the fuselage.. both sides.. can always find my DIII in a fight.. lol..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The Col. as he was then, now Herr Oberst Hajj, made mine up as Albert Ball's Nieuport when I joined the
    Drome. It was one of the things that influenced me to stay. I felt you were all a caring bunch of fine chaps. I have now found out that this is ............?
    Have a guess!
    Rob.
    An Officers Club that Never Closes & a Bar that never runs Dry?

Mine is a custom image I created, it's my personal logo.

Mine is a personal photo of a Bomerang taken at one of the Cabolture airshows in the 1990's

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    An Officers Club that Never Closes & a Bar that never runs Dry?
    Good answer Barry.
    I'm now thinking of a 3D version of Albert's plane. Any takers to do one for me if I take a shot of the model?
    Kyte.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Would you do this for me? My fav plane is the white DVII, my pilot is known as Der Weisse Engel. I would be indebted to you.

Currently, I use the provided Boudwin SE5a, but would go custom if Keegan can provide me with the White DVII avatar.

I use one the site provided...
    No fuss, it is the aircraft of my favourite Belgian pilot and it kinda fits my nick... All the good things in one neat little package

Mine is a photo of an in-game flight against a Drachen Balloon.

RacingHippo

Currently I use a stock image, although on most forums I usually use a variation on my personal/company* logo:

But I can't figure out a way of making it WWI-aeroplane-ey.

*Yes, I really did own the company Racing Hippo Ltd (registered in England no 3043054), which is currenly in mothballs while I have a "real" job!

I use one supplied by the Aerodrome.

I made a custom one when I first joined, but wasn't able to get it to look ok as an avatar (size and transparency issues), so I gave it up.

My non-functional custom avatar:
    NB_avatar_blue.jpg

/Niclas

I use a stock image, but it fits me just fine and how I approach my wargaming hobby. Large, lazy, and full of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Good answer Barry.
    I'm now thinking of a 3D version of Albert's plane. Any takers to do one for me if I take a shot of the model?
    Kyte.
    PM me the photo and I'll see what I can do.

@ Hunter (Terry): I'll work on it

Here you go boys!

goeringfokkerdv.png

niclasalbatros.png

Save these to your desktop, and then upload them in the avatar selection screen. Cheers!

Lugz
    Last edited by Lugburz; 07-06-2011 at 16:12.

Between the Col. and Max Headroom, mine is a custom--a beast that's unlikely to see WoW since it was pretty much only used as a bomber-hunter and night raider.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Here you go boys!

Save these to your desktop, and then upload them in the avatar selection screen. Cheers!

Lugz
    Thank you Keegan!
    This was a real surprise and I'm happy as a schoolboy - Thank's ever so much!

/Niclas

Oh - now my vote is no longer valid. I have a custom avatar now!

Boys in school aren't normally that happy.

Yeah, especially for the smart kids.

"Being the smartest kid in the room is like being the only kid in the room."--SSA Dr. Spencer Reid, FBI BAU
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Nice bus Niclas.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

I would like to see more WWII avatars ...

G.

Standard site Brisfit for me

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I use one supplied by the Aerodrome.

I made a custom one when I first joined, but wasn't able to get it to look ok as an avatar (size and transparency issues), so I gave it up.

My non-functional custom avatar:
    NB_avatar_blue.jpg

/Niclas
    That's a really cool avatar Niclas. I've never seen anything like it. Unique, but also very clever and creative.

Custom. Rico with a few pieces of aviation equipment I supplies.

Custom Se5a for me - I just used photoshop to darken one of the standard ones then added the roundel and fern. It was an experiment to see if I could do it but I am quite fond of the result.

That's a really cool avatar Niclas. I've never seen anything like it. Unique, but also very clever and creative.
    Thank you Hunter! (A bit confusing - You're Hunter and Hunter is Terry...).
    I like yours as well - Very spiffy! (Would look great on a mini!)

As there are not many Swedes on the Aerodrome, I wanted something that looked a bit Swedish. Sweden wasn't in WWI (we didn't even have an airforce until the late twenties, though there were some army aircraft - See Wombat's thread on the Swedish Airforce Museum), so the weren't any real life aces to use. So I decided to go with fantasy instead. Inspiration was a cross between Swedish national markings and the away-jersey for the team Sweden hockey team.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I like yours as well - Very spiffy! (Would look great on a mini!)
    I've been trying to get my hands on a Camel so I could make this into a repaint, but there's just nothing around!! By the way, I'd love to see your avatar as a mini also.

Mine just had to be Lt. Stachel (my wingman Doug had already taken Errol Flynn)

I've been trying to get my hands on a Camel so I could make this into a repaint, but there's just nothing around!! By the way, I'd love to see your avatar as a mini also.
    You should be able to find a camel, they still seem to be around here and there - My LGS still claims to have Olieslagers.
    They have a web shop, but buying minis from Sweden is probably something you'd want to avoid, as you would have to pay both for the initial transport from the US and then postage back again - and the exchange rate for the USD is really bad at the moment. The price would be about $18 - 20% sales-tax + postage.

Mine's an Albatross D.III - there's hardly any of those around. I don't even have a complete set of them (only Brumowski), let alone any doubles to repaint.

/Niclas

My first one was a Roland, now it's a Fokker E.III and if ever I get to make a Halberstadt, I'll use that one.

My ride of choice 1955 Royal Enfield ,,,,as close as i,ll get to a ww1 pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    A custom one

I repainted the Roland CII supplied by the site referring to the Luftstreitskrafte miniature livery.

Attilio
    As I wrote in another post I uptaded my avatar.

Now is the "Aviator Officer with Crown" insigna and and you can see it clearly on the sleeve of the uniform of Baracca and Fulco Ruffo di Calabria with the military rank of captain (the Italian group uses the degrees of the Army of the First World War) I published in my post http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=rank

I made a custom one as I wasn't sure if the Wombles made it out of the UK? If not this is a womble. I may have to change the sandwich to a paint brush at some time.

Ian

And where is the "I do not use avatar" option?

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    And where is the "I do not use avatar" option?
    I don't think Hunter was interested in that sort of option when he started this poll Нема&#.
    I'm not sure if having no Avatar is really in the true spirit of the Drome.

Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast