Thread: 1/200 H.P. Hampden, Hawker Hurricane, and Supermarine Spitfire

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default 1/200 H.P. Hampden, Hawker Hurricane, and Supermarine Spitfire

On Friday I received a box from Armaments in Miniature that contained several minis. One of them happened to be one of my favorite aircraft from early WWII, the Handley Page Hampden. I pretty much set everything else aside and worked on the Hampden over the weekend. After a near disaster with Krylon Flat Clear (clouded up on me) it's finished. I also managed to finish a Spitfire and a Hurricane. The BP Defiants I had hoped to finish were brushed aside but should be finished by the end of the week.

All of the following are 1/200 scale resin minis from Armaments in Miniature. They are one-piece minis. The decals are a combination of I-94 Enterprises (some of the national insignia) and Scale Specialties (some of the national insignia and the squadron codes). Primer - Rust-Oleum automotive gray, paints - Vallejo Model Color paints, and Krylon (give me a heart attack) Flat Clear for the final finish.

With the Hampden, the fight can now be taken across the Channel!
    Hampden - No. 106 Squadron
    Hurricane - No. 32 Squadron
    Spitfire - No. 609 Squadron
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HP Hampden b.jpg   HP Hampden f.jpg   HP Hampden a.jpg   HP Hampden d.jpg   HP Hampden c.jpg  

HP Hampden e.jpg   Hurricane c.jpg   Hurricane a.jpg   Hurricane b.jpg   Spitfire b.jpg  

Spitfire a.jpg   Spitfire d.jpg   Spitfire c.jpg  

Nice one Kevin, you're good at this painting lark. These get two
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Kevin,
    again (as usual) well painted models and the detail on the AiM planes is great for their scale.

Kevin!

They look great! Could you tell us what method you use for the two color upper surfaces?

Rich

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Thanks all.

Peter, yes, Armaments in Miniature continues to amaze and impress me with the variety, detail, and quality of their minis.

Rich, certainly. I'll make a quick trip through the steps I take.
    1. Inspect and clean the mini (remove seam lines, vent marks, fill holes (none on these by the way), and wash with soap and water)
    2. Apply primer - I habitually use Rust-Oleum Gray Automotive primer - I wait until the relative humidity is <70%.
    3. Double check for any blemishes I may have missed. Re-apply primer if I've missed something big.
    4. Paint the canopies, turrets, and any other areas that would be plexiglass - on 1/200 minis I've started limiting this process to a coat of Sky blue paint. When that's dry I give the areas a wash of blue ink mixed with Future floor polish.
    5. I generally apply lighter colors first - on the upper surface I applied the brown color first. I tried to get good coverage but avoided going over areas twice. I try to avoid brush marks if at all possible.
    6. I marked out the camo pattern with a pencil and then applied the green color. Again, I went for good but not perfect coverage.
    7. I then picked out the exhaust stacks, guns, etc. with some metallic paint.
    8. Once the first coat was dry I went back over with brown and green hitting thin areas, places that I missed, and I painted in the canopy frames.
    9. Happy with the coverage I go to a dark wash. Sometimes I use a paint & future mix and sometimes I'll revert to artist oils and paint thinner.
    10. After waiting for eight hours (future based wash) or up to three days (oil based wash) I'll apply one or two coats of future and let that dry for a day or so.
    11. Given the nice glossy surface I'll apply decals, decal solvent, and another coat of future (waiting for things to dry between each step).
    12. The last step on these was the application of Krylon Flat Clear (aerosol).

I almost always use Vallejo Model Color paints and #2, #3, and #6 brushes. I usually attach the minis to dowels so that I can work with the mini w/o touching it.

Kevin

Very nice job on painting these up. I like your stylized windows as well.

Thumbs up

Kevin!

You had me fooled! I would swear they were air brushed! You do a great job on them. The Vallejo must be a very fine pigment paint i have never used them. I have gone to the Model Masters enamels for almost everything! The future coast is not eaten up by the decal solutions?

Once again you are saluted for your skills!

Rich

Kevin!

I use a magnet to hold planes while i work on them! While building the model i glue a magnet on the bottom! On a stick or a bottle top they do not go anywhere!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3496.jpg   100_3390.jpg  

Very nice yes!

Lovely work great how too on painting
    Thanks
    Linz