Ares Games

Thread: August - Ohio (and neighbors) Open Tournament in Columbus

Default August - Ohio (and neighbors) Open Tournament in Columbus

On August 7th, 2011, The Soldiery in Northern Columbus will be hosting an open Wings of War Tournament. The details and rules of this tournament have yet to be decided. This thread is being opened so that we (those attending) may discuss our preferences for the tournament and come up with a final set of rules by Sunday 24th (two weeks in advance of the Tourney)

This is what we know:
    • The store opens at 11 AM, the Tourney will begin at 1 PM.
    • The store closes at 7 PM, the Tourney has no set end time as of yet.
    • I am prepared to run the tourney, but might also like to play as well, thus we may need a secondary judge, or some other means of impartiality...
    • We are playing on a 5'x8' table.
    These are some of the things we need to consider:
    • A specific rules set, including any optional or house rules
    • An entry fee to cover prizes and/or prize money (I can handle creating a couple of framed certificates to go with whatever we come up with)
    • The era, and or aircraft limitations
    • Number of rounds
    • Type of mission(s)
    • Anything else you can think of...
    The discussion is now open... have at it please!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

•A specific rules set, including any optional or house rules
    Probably use a "basic" set...some house rules could be ok for certain scenarios

•An entry fee to cover prizes and/or prize money (I can handle creating a couple of framed certificates to go with whatever we come up with)
    $3.00 to $5.00

•The era, and or aircraft limitations
    early to mid war...no altitude rules to keep it moving

•Number of rounds
    depends on # of participants? minimum of 3

•Type of mission(s)
    Whoa! The sky (no pun intended) is the limit here

•Anything else you can think of...
    ummm...Ken buys us all beers?

The Lt. Col., SWMBO and I are planning to attend (don't know if we can stay till closing though)

OK, 6 hours of play time, sounds like 2 tourneys, unless we run a couple at once.
    I liked your 2 part one you ran at Origins (2 sides followed by sharkpit).
    Otherwise, I'll think.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Are we going to just charge our group or everyone?

Tom
    Tom, since this is being held at a store during normal hours it needs to be open to the general public. (This means some fresh meat perhaps...) Thus all would have to pay to enter. I was thinking $5 to $10, with half of that going as cah prizes and the other half as gift certificates from the soldiery... We would of course have to run all of this by the management before making a final decision. Perhaps they can even come up with some
    WoW product for us, or work out some sort of pre-order deal on the new Series 1 minis to be released in the fall (we hope and pray.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    OK, 6 hours of play time, sounds like 2 tourneys, unless we run a couple at once.
    I liked your 2 part one you ran at Origins (2 sides followed by sharkpit).
    Otherwise, I'll think.
    Karl
    I am fond of that format. Perhaps we could turn the first round into a 2 sided mission with equal objects, both sides attacking and defending with certain objectives being worth extra points and respawns allowing ALL players a chance at going after objectives while team-mates defend. Sharkpit is just Sharkpit and can be a HUGE blast with lots of planes in the air.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I spoke with the store owner and management today. The are looking forward to the tournament and are good with us charging an entry fee and putting that toward gifts certificates to the store to be awarded as prizes. He does currently have WWI and WWII stock but not in large quantities. Of course before the fall, getting restock on that is not likely. However, the store has an awesome entire section of used and new older games going all the way back to Avalon Hill and the likes... so there is plenty to see and purchase. I would like to recommend a $10 entry fee to be put toward 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes, in addition to anything else I can come up with for the tournament.

We need to try to get a real conversation going here so we can make some final decisions quickly if possible. The sooner I get the rules pinned down, the sooner I will be able to get them posted in the store along with a promo flyer, and the more likely we will pick up some local non-Aerodrome players and possibly new recruits for the site. The more players we have the more fun this will be. Tom if you can help drum up some participants for the thread I would be very grateful, and might have to buy you a beer after the Tourney!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Cavane

5-10 bucks seems appropriate. Depending on whether those of you with a lot of miniatures are willing to lend them out for the evening, you may want to include a statement to that effect, so that people who don't own the game are encouraged to come try it out.

Yes I will bring my planes. 5-10 is fine with me as well. And stating that planes will be provided for those that need one is important.

Also will there be a Dawn of War game as well? If so I will bring my other planes then too.

Tom

mighty_patman

I will hopefully be there

Yes I will bring my planes. 5-10 is fine with me as well. And stating that planes will be provided for those that need one is important.

Also will there be a Dawn of War game as well? If so I will bring my other planes then too.

Tom
    Tom I doubt that we will have time to get in any Dawn of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavane View Post
    5-10 bucks seems appropriate. Depending on whether those of you with a lot of miniatures are willing to lend them out for the evening, you may want to include a statement to that effect, so that people who don't own the game are encouraged to come try it out.
    I will be bringing my entire collection and they will be made available for use on a first come first served basis. Also I think that if folks have repaints or non WoW models, they should bring them and perhaps we can award a prize for the best Ohio Custom mini!

Please note that my Cow-spotted aircraft are reserved for use by single women only. (Yep... I am gonna be that way...)
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I probably won't be able to actually play in the tournament, but I'll bring some planes for a few a pick up games. I'd be interested in flying my Japanese fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Royals View Post
    I probably won't be able to actually play in the tournament, but I'll bring some planes for a few a pick up games. I'd be interested in flying my Japanese fleet.
    I am going to try and make it up at 11am. So maybe some others pilots will want to get there early and get some games in before the tournament get started.

Tom

I am going to try and make it up at 11am. So maybe some others pilots will want to get there early and get some games in before the tournament get started.

Tom
    That is a possibility... but keep in mind that the store ususally has quite a few Pokemon players that come in early on Sunday to play for tow or three hours, so you may have to share...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Royals View Post
    I know Sundays are busy for you... but keep in mind that Misdomingo also runs a game or two on the last Wednesday evenin of the month there as well...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    That is a possibility... but keep in mind that the store ususally has quite a few Pokemon players that come in early on Sunday to play for tow or three hours, so you may have to share...
    I don't mind sharing...maybe even get some new recruits.

Tom

I intend to submit a flyer and a set of rules to The Soldiery by this Sunday the 24th... I will entertain any more suggestions anyone has up until Saturday and then make a final decison and post it here. If there is something specific you wish to see then please join in on this conversation now, as you are running out of time.

Thanks
    Ken
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Maybe we could do a DoW tournament as well? Or plan one for the future.

If you guys and gals can make it up to Ada as well as our friends from Toledo come down and do a tournament this fall. What do ya think?

Tom

Maybe we could do a DoW tournament as well? Or plan one for the future.

If you guys and gals can make it up to Ada as well as our friends from Toledo come down and do a tournament this fall. What do ya think?

Tom
    Sounds good to me. It looks like I may switch to third shift at work which will hopefully open up some free time.

Not to put a damper on the planning of a Dow Tournament, but I think that would be better served in its own thread. The original intent of this get-together was to gather up as many Ohio players as we can and meet up one ast time for some WoW. I was able to schedule a tournament for us on Aug 7th at the Soldiery. We do not really have enough time to run both a WoW and DoW tourney that day, and both Ann (Misdomingo) and her local players, and I , are mostly WoW enthusiasts. I just need to finalize the plans for this event by the end of the week and thus was asking for any last input, so I can make a decision that will please the majority of those showing up...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Not to put a damper on the planning of a Dow Tournament, but I think that would be better served in its own thread. The original intent of this get-together was to gather up as many Ohio players as we can and meet up one ast time for some WoW. I was able to schedule a tournament for us on Aug 7th at the Soldiery. We do not really have enough time to run both a WoW and DoW tourney that day, and both Ann (Misdomingo) and her local players, and I , are mostly WoW enthusiasts. I just need to finalize the plans for this event by the end of the week and thus was asking for any last input, so I can make a decision that will please the majority of those showing up...
    No worries Ken. Just thinking out loud.

Tom

Personally, whatever you come up with is fine; I'll be down to paly regardless, and will have a good time.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'll still show up and play some DoW for those interested. I'm sure we could come up with some Battle over the Pacific scenario that wouldn't be too lengthy.

Oh... don't get me wrong. I hope to be there early, and I plan on playing DoW with Tom and whoever else is there... I just would like to keep this tournament to WoW... especially until I get a few more games of DoW under my belt.

Right now we are looking at a $10 entry fee per person, that will go completely towards purchasing prizes from the store (likely gift certificates.) I will print up a couple of Certificates for some special awards as well.

I am thinking of using the same tournament I used at Origins for the tournament. That is basically similar to this fomat: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2982-WoW-Event-Sunday-January-9th-Armoury-Games-in-Pickerington-Ohio&highlight=tournament+pickerington We had advanced players at Origins and thus added altitude and collision rules. I am thinking that is not a good idea for this tournament as we may have some new players. I will also be adding specific objectives to both rounds which can be achieved and scored for extra points. Ignore the part about advancing to the second round. All players would play both rounds.

This is my thought so far. I am looking for other ideas, or feedback on those ideas... I am also looking for the rest of the Ohio members.... where are you guys and gals????

Thanks!
    Ken
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I'll be out of town that week. I hope to be back late Saturday night ... I'd really like to make it.

Unless something changes, I will be there.

Tommy I hope to see you! Drive safe though... no hurrying just to come shoot CappyTom down. (I'd put a $5 bounty on him but this is a tournament... just would not seem right...)

Todd that it great news... will be good to see you again! Any chance you are going to bring your buddy (Was it Jim?) with you as well?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    I'll be out of town that week. I hope to be back late Saturday night ... I'd really like to make it.
    Hope you make it too Tommy. Looking forward to seeing you Todd.

Tom

Any chance you are going to bring your buddy (Was it Jim?) with you as well?
    Jim likely won't make it, but I will make sure to at least extend the invite. He has been very busy lately, and we have had trouble getting together for anything.

Todd

Thanks Todd!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken,

I just got a reply from Jim. He and I will both be there.

Looking forward to it,

Todd

Outstanding Todd! I look forward to seeing you both there!

OK so we are down to the wire folks. I am putting the rules set in stone tomorrow and sending a flyer and rules sheet over to The Soldiery tomorrow night. Last chance to get in your requests and suggestions.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"