Ares Games

Thread: 3d ground targets

Default 3d ground targets

Was anyone else deeply disappointed with the ground object cards in the game? After all, if we're going to the trouble of putting 3 dimensional aircraft on the table, poorly detailed cards detract from the visual aspect of the game considerably.

The challenge is to produce something 3 dimensional that will not interfere with game play, so I came up with the idea of using 6mm terrain (normally sold for micro armor battles) on a foam rubber base cut to the same size as the official WoW cards.

Now 6mm resin buildings are quite expensive and not available locally so my wife suggested Monopoly houses would work just as well for the basic shapes, and these can be picked up for pennies at a yard sale or thrift store. They can also be cut and painted to make realistic bombed out ruins,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6mm terrain 002.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	15643
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6mm terrain 003.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	15648
    The ruined buildings at the back of the photo are resin while those at the front, on the base, are Monopoly Junior house, cut and painted
    Also the trench cards are pretty vague and don't look much like the Western Front, so I made foam markers for these too. The barbed wire is a spring from an old ball point pen.

Then the AA machine gun posts needed revamping in order to be taken seriously. Again the foam rubber base was cut to the same size as a WoW card and a 6mm MG and crew from Heroics & Ros glued on. The sandbags are made from tiny beads.

I also bought some field guns to serve as ground targets too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6mm terrain 001.jpg   6mm terrain 004.jpg   6mm terrain 005.jpg  

A very good compromise between the cards and the 144 scale buildings and equipment available. Ideal for high level bombing and anti balloon attacks.
    For people on a limited budget or those who like a suggestion of perspective in the targets it fits the bill very well.
    Nice work Stuart.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Like the idea have been thinking along the same lines but using 144th scale
    Linz

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Like the idea have been thinking along the same lines but using 144th scale
    Linz
    I've gone down this road as well, focusing on 1/144 scale ground targets. I'll post some photos when I get around to it.

I was speaking to Roman about just this sort of thing maybe for Shapeways, but couldnt find any suitable pics to illustrate.
    Think these are what the doctor ordered and may be ok for the process.
    Need a couple of bridges too though

Nice...you need to buy your wife dinner for coming up with a great idea!

I've just picked up on this thread and thought you might be interested in some scratch built terrain I've made for VSF air games from sprue. Probably a bit small for WoW (1/300th would be better to give a forced perspective between the planes and the ground) but shows what can be done with a pile of sprue, some old CD's and a pack or two of Woodland Scenics foam...

Nice and good looking idea, but I think you need paper replacment cards for your ground targets too, when flying with the miniature planes over it.

It's important to fly the maneuvers exactly.

GHQ has !!FREE!! 1/287 scale paper buildings.

See: http://www.ghqmodels.com/pages/military/freestuff.asp

These paper buildings represent buildings in the Netherlands and would be appropriate for WW I or WW II.
    Last edited by Zakopious; 08-29-2011 at 12:14.

Georgous models!! Now I know why I could not throw away all old sprues and always kept the interestings bits just incase. The old, AOL free internet CD's are also still in my modelling reserve boxes. Anyone know how to make a Fokker DVII out of scrap?