Ares Games

Thread: Damage Decks

Rick Tofen

Default Damage Decks

Hello All, I created a new house rules damage deck that has
    higher damage counts. Has anyone tried this or have suggestions?

Fly Safe Rick

I can't say that we have messed with the damage system yet. We tend to shoot each other down quite a bit... so higher damage amounts don't sound good to me!

Rick Tofen

Yes I agree that we get shot down quickly, just wondering if the game
    would be more defencive. It seems everyone just dives into the fight
    and lets the luck of the draw deceide who goes down. We havn't tried
    the increased damage deck, planning on using single seat planes only.
    I bet nobody gets close to start with. Ha Ha Thanks for your reply Rick

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

I haven't increased the damage but I've created damage charts and use percentile dice to determine damage. I hate having damage and critical hits being limited by how many cards in a deck have already been used. The way we play you could potentially get any amount of damage with any attack. It's more variable and (in my eyes anyway) more fun.

Rick Tofen

Default Charts and Dice

Yes KirkH, I see your point. When we have 6 - 10 players. each flying 2 or 3 planes. we use 3 sets of "A Damage" and 3 sets of "B Damage" cards and have had two explosions in a row and as many as 10 "0 Damage points" in a row. I will ask the group if they would like to try your system. The increased damage deck I made "I call Aces Damage" contains 80 cards but we havn't tried using it yet. Todays game had to be canceled, bummer. Rick

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

From a mathematical point of view, I hate getting a particular damage card and then knowing the chances for that same card are diminished or eliminated because it's already been used. With dice, any result can happen at any time and one combat result doesn't impact the next one. Plus, as you said, for large games it would probably be a pain having to keep a half dozen damage decks handy.

As for Aces, I have an Ace rule that allows Ace pilots to add 5 to their damage roll or subtract 5 from an attackers damage roll. He can't do both at the same time though. If he's concentrating on shooting he can't be concentrating on evading and vice versa.

Rick Tofen

Default Dice System

Hey KirkH, How about sharing your system?
    Fly Safe Rick

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

The groups I usually play WoW with have gone away from using the actual damage decks. We have chips with the damage decks (A, B, & C) printed on stickers and stuck on the chips. The chips are in three separate bags. When you take damage, draw the appropriate amount of chips.

Here's where its different; instead of keeping the chips, look at them, record the damage and then return them to the bag. In essence every time you take damage, you are drawing from a "fresh" deck.

It does change the frequency of damage a bit, but not so much that we've noticed any big difference in the game. It does avoid the gamey situation where either you know the explode card has been drawn already, or the damage deck is getting down to the last few cards and it hasn't been drawn.

This system came about after one game where the last card left to be drawn was the explode card and everybody scattered and tried to avoid the certain death that awaited.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Rick - I'd love to post my damage charts but I don't know where. In the files section there's no area for house rules. If you like, just send me an e-mail and I can send you my files.

Did anybody try to play without the zero damage cards? IMHO the only things worse than drawing the explosion is dealing ten cards of damage with zero damage points on it...

Rick Tofen

Krolik, great idea! a great option!

KerkH, Please email me your damage charts to rlmusson@charter.net
    They sound like a great option too!

The Blue Barron, I have created a damage deck with 80 cards without any "0" damage cards "Ace Damage Deck" but this weeks game was canceled so we havn't played them yet. I hope to try them next week and see how it works out.

This is one of the things I like about this game, you can make it fit your group with house rules. Fly Safe Rick

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Rick - I'd love to post my damage charts but I don't know where. In the files section there's no area for house rules. If you like, just send me an e-mail and I can send you my files.
    Just post them in the House Rules category of the Files section

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    The groups I usually play WoW with have gone away from using the actual damage decks. We have chips with the damage decks (A, B, & C) printed on stickers and stuck on the chips. The chips are in three separate bags. When you take damage, draw the appropriate amount of chips.

Here's where its different; instead of keeping the chips, look at them, record the damage and then return them to the bag. In essence every time you take damage, you are drawing from a "fresh" deck.

It does change the frequency of damage a bit, but not so much that we've noticed any big difference in the game. It does avoid the gamey situation where either you know the explode card has been drawn already, or the damage deck is getting down to the last few cards and it hasn't been drawn.

This system came about after one game where the last card left to be drawn was the explode card and everybody scattered and tried to avoid the certain death that awaited.

Here's a picture of the "A" bag and some chips:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails layout2.jpg  

Eserchie

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    From a mathematical point of view, I hate getting a particular damage card and then knowing the chances for that same card are diminished or eliminated because it's already been used.
    I feel the same way, but haven't tried modding the system yet. I do like the mix on the cards, and feel a dice system would need to be more complicated and time-consuming to replicate this. Maybe draw cards, note the details in secret then shuffle them back into the deck? again, time consuming though...

Rick Tofen

Default Chips

Quote Originally Posted by krolik View Post
    Here's a picture of the "A" bag and some chips:
    Well Done, I may try this, and an additional advantage is nobody
    has to shuffle the chips like you do cards. Thanks for sharing the idea.
    Rick

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Eserchie View Post
    I feel the same way, but haven't tried modding the system yet. I do like the mix on the cards, and feel a dice system would need to be more complicated and time-consuming to replicate this.
    I don't know why it needs to be complicated. I just counted the number of times each result appears and then associated the same percentage with a percentile dice roll. As an example, in the "A" deck a 0 comes up 31% of the time which equates to a 1-31 roll using percentile dice. I determined the percentage chance for each result, determined the appropriate chance using the percentile dice, and then created the charts that are in the "house rules" section of the files. It's simple and eliminates the annoying situation of knowing something can't happen because it's already happened.

Similar Missions

1. Using dice for Damage?
    By Seiseki in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 14:03
  2. Difference between maneuver decks
    By kombofink in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 04:49
  3. B Damage Deck
    By Nekrodamus in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 22