Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official after Origins thread

Default Official after Origins thread

Just wanted to get a thread up for all the after Origins discussions. So, if it deals with Origins, post it here!

It was great meeting everyone...thanks for letting me kill your Zeppelin Saturday night!

Had a blast. Am Alive. Am totally exhausted and also having PC issues. I have lots of pics and video to go through, edit and post. I will put up some AARs and all that soon, but first I must recover for a day or two.

Look for me after that!

Capt Cowman requesting two days leave...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

How many folks made the big fur ball?!

Had a great time! Even managed to snag three actual WoW planes from the dealers' room and the bombers expansion! Can't wait to see you all again next year...

It was cool to meet everyone who made it, thanks go out to everyone who helped make it possible.

I had a blast; my first Origins and getting to see all those names on the Forum in person. Even working during the Largest Game was great; I'll use the experience for running my own games up in the Cleve-Akron-Canton corridor. Did manage to snag the "coveted" Most Shot Down award at Ken's double tourney.
    Also (predictably) the wallet is smaller, and the aircraft park is fuller. Also snagged a full set of Crimson Sky clicks, which I'll use to go WOW/DOW with
    Got to get to bed soon; holiday pre-weeks are the worst in retail.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 07-03-2011 at 07:50. Reason: sp
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

My first Origins as well...had a lot of fun...but my feet feel like two cooked hams...concrete floors and lots of walking. Thanks to Ken, Tom, Keith and all the other BGIF folks who helped to make it a great event! The Lt Col, SWMBO even copped a nice prize for getting the first kill in the "worlds largest" event...I, unfortunately, got shot down early and often ...had a great time at dinner on Sat. night as well. It was nice to put a face with the great folks on the forum! ..SWMBO has "discovered" miniatures too (not including the WoW ones)...now I've created a monster who wants to get into some other time periods!

I had an amazing time at Origins. I would like to thank Ken the Cowman, Oberst Keith, Cappy Tom, Jager Karl, Florida Steve and Goering Ace as well as all the others sho worked so hard to put teh fantastic Wow events together.

Finally, I want to thank Jager, the "Death Meister", "Scrappy" Cappy Tom and "Wilie E." Steve for being worthy, [read fracking scary] opponents during the open tournament. i was, for me, most definitely the most challenged event during Origins and I had to fly to ends of limits to say alive during the 4 hours of dueling. They are the most worthy of opponents i have yet to meet. thanks also to Ken the Cowman for his GM'ing of the event. You guys are a credit to site and the game!

Salute!
    Last edited by Canuck; 06-27-2011 at 19:21.

Here's some photos of us guys. Origin's Photos. More to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1712.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	15641
    From left to right Mayor Jim, CappyTom, Redcoon 2, The Cowman, Canuck, Oberst Hajj, Jager

Tom
    Last edited by CappyTom; 06-28-2011 at 18:26.

Thanks Guys! It was really great to meet everyone. There were some great games some really good flying and a good time. You guys made driving the 16 hours each way worth it. I hope to see and have a few games with all of you again sometime.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Here's some photos of us guys. Origin's Photos. More to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1712.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	15641

Tom
    Will you please put the names in the frame Tom, otherwise when WoW buffs look at this in 70 years from now some pilots are sure to go down in history as"unknown" standing next to Cowman Ken, or some such thing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Origins was the first gaming convention for both Hunter and I and we had a fantastic time!! It was great to meet all my fellow Aerodrome members and put names to faces, and I can't say how much I enjoyed the time spent with all of you. I especially want to thank Keith, Cappy Tom, and Ken for all their hard work with setting up and running the events. You all did an amazing job. And thanks to all the others who helped out over the 4 days.

I especially enjoyed visiting the Air Force Museum in Dayton with Tom and Keith. The four of us had a great time as we spent 3.5 hours admiring the incredible display of planes housed there. It was great to have a walking, talking "airplane facts" computer as we toured the various hangers (yes Keith, I'm talking about you! ) We really enjoyed visiting the museum with you two.

The convention was well worth the 8 hour drive and the expenses to get there. The vendors area was amazing and unfortunately they had way too much cool stuff, as the bank account will show.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm exhausted. It'll take a week to get caught up on sleep, but it was worth every minute.

Hopefully we can do it again next year!!

Scott

I have decided that I look about 14 months pregnant in that particular shot... and that my fantastic Aerodrome Shirt look a bit like a maternity version...

Nice job on the names Boss!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

That is great Oberst. Thanks for that.
    Rob.

Nice pic...how'd you photo-shop my hair out? Actually, this was taken after a few drinkies...fortunately SWMBO had a steady hand...

I am so sorry I missed it. I was looking forward to going but had last minute obligations. I hope to see more pics. And also hope to add my plane to upcoming events! Sounds like everyone had a great time thats to the efforts of you gents. I have seldom seen such a supportive group all for the love of a game. Well done.. and now drink up!

What a handsome looking bunch, trying to cover up the dodgy parking!!?? Who was driving, is/was it a jeep?!!

You guys seem to have had a fantastic time Soooooooooo jealous.
    How did the world record attempt go?
    What is that vehicle you are leaning againest? Front guards seem wrong for a willys jeep. Is it a wells Fargo?
    Linz

I believe it was mentioned that it was some sort of Ambulance... I am no expert on vehicles of that era so I can only be a here-say witness...

Edit Update: I called the 94th... according to the employee with whom I spoke, it is a replica of a medical jeep... and that is all he could tell me... wish I knew more!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 06-29-2011 at 14:09.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

We had 42 players for the world record attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Ah... 42... what a fantastic number! Do you have your towel?

On the subject of Origins: I have now spent the last couple of days mostly sleeping (I kid you not). I am in the process of slowly unpacking my things, and cleaning up the mess the CappyTom made when he stayed over last Tuesday night before the con. I have a TON of pictures and video that I have to go through still, which means editing, resizing and then uploading... I will then start posting those here and on my blog... I will also have a separate AAR for the tournament and maybe one or tow of my events.

What I am trying to say is that this is gonna take me time... I am still moving kinda slowly and taking things in small chunks as I can handle it... so please be patient with me and I will have some cool stuff to show you in the end.

Thanks!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Yep...and I think I got shot down 20...at east it felt like that...don't ever grab "the Baron"...everyone gangs up on you early and often!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLupp View Post
    I am so sorry I missed it. I was looking forward to going but had last minute obligations. I hope to see more pics. And also hope to add my plane to upcoming events! Sounds like everyone had a great time thats to the efforts of you gents. I have seldom seen such a supportive group all for the love of a game. Well done.. and now drink up!
    Here's some more pics.

Tom

42 is that a new world record?
    Linz

Nope, 92 is the current record.

Must have a try at that record only have to find another 92 people to beat it.
    Well we can dream.
    Linz

42 must have been a great game with planes everywhere.
    Didn't a snipe take on 60 DVII?
    Makes you think about friendly fire problems.

Nice photo! Nice convention, for sure!

Well done

Attilio

I finally got a response from the Guinness book people. It came , of course, after I got back from the con. This is what they have to say about the official Guinness Record:

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Book
    Dear Mr Kenneth Head,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your intention to attempt the record for ‘Most players in a miniatures or board game '. Your proposal is very similar to an existing record that we monitor and so the category that Guinness World Records currently recognizes is: ’Largest miniature wargaming tournament’.

The current record (current as at the date of this letter) is:
    Minimum Requirements:
    250 participants.

Please do let us know if you would like to attempt that record instead. If that is the case, you may wish to check with us again closer to submitting your full claim to be sure that a new record has not been set in the interim.
    Please note that this record information is provided to you to the best of Guinness World Records knowledge and belief as at the date of this letter and is based on the record information currently logged on the Guinness World Records database. This current record may change at any time due to a new record being approved in the interim. You are responsible for keeping yourself up to date with any new record in this category, as Guinness World Records will not directly inform you of any change to the current record.
    So it turns out that in order to make "the book" we need over 250 people... but it can be in a tournament format...

Update on pics: I have them all uploaded to my machine and some are edited... HOWEVER: I am unfortunately missing a 4 GB Data Card that had a lot more pics and video on it than I thought it did. I was afraid it might not turn up. (It went missing on Friday Night) I am contacting the Hotel in the hopes that they found it and can send it to me. I hope to start putting up what I do have later this evening.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I think it'd be managable next year if the attempt is more publicized - and the room easier to find. I got lost 'cause I went to Hall E from the main hallway and scampered around for five minutes, lost, before tripping over the banner. You might have lost a few players due to that.

Next year in Columbus!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I finally got a response from the Guinness book people. It came , of course, after I got back from the con. This is what they have to say about the official Guinness Record:

So it turns out that in order to make "the book" we need over 250 people... but it can be in a tournament format...

Update on pics: I have them all uploaded to my machine and some are edited... HOWEVER: I am unfortunately missing a 4 GB Data Card that had a lot more pics and video on it than I thought it did. I was afraid it might not turn up. (It went missing on Friday Night) I am contacting the Hotel in the hopes that they found it and can send it to me. I hope to start putting up what I do have later this evening.
    Ken you keep losing that Data Card... Now pull it together man.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
    I think it'd be managable next year if the attempt is more publicized - and the room easier to find. I got lost 'cause I went to Hall E from the main hallway and scampered around for five minutes, lost, before tripping over the banner. You might have lost a few players due to that.

Next year in Columbus!

I had hoped for a lot more PR support from GAMA and the con. I am not sure what else I could have done to promote the event on our end short of paying for event tickets for folks... And yes we did discuss that it was a bit confusing to find the event and we thought we might have lost a few players that way...

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Ken you keep losing that Data Card... Now pull it together man.

Tom
    Tom I don't keep losing it, I just lost it that first time and it never turned up in any of my things... thus the hope that it is somewhere in the room, where we did not see it. So you can take back your slap... or I shall have to place another $1.00 bounty on your head...

Official Update to prior Updates: I have indeed located the missing data card, and the files that were removed from it after the first go 'round. I am in the process of uploading those (slowly) to my machine. Note that with the pictures that Ralph (crhkrebs) took for me, and the pics that Jerry (gwalters) took for me, not to mention a couple of pictures from Mayor Jim... this brings my picture total to: 243 pictures and 16 videos (of which one is 45 minutes long). As you can see... I have lots of work to do... so again please be patient and I promise I will deliver at least one or two good pics or vids to make it worth the wait.
    Last edited by The Cowman; 07-01-2011 at 01:27. Reason: Update
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

OK... Double Post Time! Its very late (4 AM) and I have been at this for a while... so I am about to go say hello to my dear friend Mr. Pillow... but... before I do, I must at least give you five pics to tide you over 'til tomorrow, when I can work on some more. BTW I am looking for some really good free video editing software to work with the videos I took... any suggestions? (Somebody (I think Herr Oberst) mentioned something at the Con... but it is all a blur now...)

Our lovely Banners and our Promo Table in front of the Buckeye Gamers in Flight miniatures area. We had three dedicated 5'x8' tables for which Keith provided some awesome 5'x8' green mouse-pads (mats). Note the signs, flyers, trophies and a huge pile of prizes that could not have been possible without the help of many members of this site!

The Buckeye Gamers in Flight Pop-Up Banner... with elements designed by Tuladin, myself, and of course MaxHeadroom!

The Wings of War Aerodrome Pop-Up Banner, designed by MaxHeadroom!

Some of our promotions material, one of our event trophies, and a huge pile of cool prizes. (And that was after quite a few had been awarded!)

Last for now, but certainly not least, nor the end... Our four Event GMs and three of the gentlemen who helped us out quite a bit over the last two days. Check out those snazzy shirts!

Left to Right Back: Jager (AKA Karl), Canuck (AKA Paul), Crhkrebs (AKA Ralph), The Cowman (AKA Me)
    Left to Right Front: Oberst Hajj (AKA Keith), Steve (AKA Steve), CappyTom (AKA Tom)

More to come tomorrow...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Please let me congratulate you all on what was obviously a totally professional presentation of what WoW is about. I am only sorry that I could not make the journey across the pond to be with you chaps. Well done indeed.
    Rob.

From reading the thread it would appear that you have conducted a first class tournament Ken well done. Now all we need is some one who is good at organising (and dealing with stress) to run something like that in Australia and or New Zealand.

More photos from the events:

World Record Attempt event

Zeppelin Events

Gothas over London Events

Spy Rescue

Ken's Balloon Event

Ken's Bombing Event

Ken's Furball (??)

More photos from the events:

World Record Attempt event

Now that's what I call an exquisite lunch buffet! I'll take two helpings of Albatros DIII and one helping of Fokker DVII. Aww what the heck, how about some Camel on the side

Hey Keith: How did those player sheets work out?

They worked out great Keegan, thanks for whipping them up for us!

Cavane

I see myself in a couple of those! (red/black striped shirt in the 2nd zeppelin pic)

Ah, it was a blast. I only made it to two events, and it looks like I only scratched the surface lol.

Hey... I am awake again! Nice pictures Keith! That second picture of the Balloon event is actually Tom's Balloon event, they just looked similar. And yes that was my Free for All Furball event with redcoon2 and the young boy and girl. (The only one of the four that attracted any number of players.)

From the 26 events that we chose to run, we did learn that mission based events seem to be more popular. Oh and 6 hour tournaments that are scheduled till 11 PM do not attract many players, but they do attract quality players.

Edit: Both of those pictures are from Tom's Balloon Event. I obviously still have not receovered and have no clue what happened those 4 days.... at least I dd not come home with any strange tattoos..
    Last edited by The Cowman; 07-01-2011 at 21:49.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Nice photos Keith. Looking forward to our next flight together with everyone.

Tom

Thanks for shareing the photes. The landing strips for the rescue of the spy mission, were they home made or or were they purchased? as I would like to get some or at least get my son to make me up a couple.

Doug, those were made for me by Max Headroom. They will be part of the Knights of the Air V2 package. They are really nice and you have to do some good flying to not hit any of the rocks, the water or trees!

They will be part of the Knights of the Air V2 package.
    Hey Keith — care to hazard a guess on when we might see the release of KOTA VII? Possibly the 3rd/4th quarter of this year? *crosses fingers*

Lugz

My group is play testing the last set of changes now. I hope to have it finalized in the next month or so. The biggest area that needs testing is the Ace Skill point costs. After it has been finalized, I have to get the layout and artwork all organized and add in all the support files (mission targets and objectives, Ace Skill cards, etc.). Alan is working away on the art and graphics for everything and has just about everything wrapped up. This time around it is going to be more like a commercial project (still free of course).

So, short answer, I'd like to have it published by Thanksgiving (November time frame for are friends across the pond).

Great news Herr Oberst. I've just finished laminating the mission cards for the current set so I was looking for something to do.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast